Hey everyone, I need a little help. I've been listening to country music all my life, but just recently started seriously getting into. Well I wanted to know if you guys knew any good country licks that I could use. I know a few simple pedal-steel licks, but thats about the extent of it. I've been listening to alot of Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, David Allan Coe, Merle Haggard, etc. and trying to steal some licks off them, but it's not working too well. So any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!
^ well country music is predominantly blues based or classical with a little bit of southern fried twang. the best advice i can give in a situation like this is learn some pentatonics (country uses a TON of pentatonics, as does blues) and check out the CAGED system, google it and learn it. its a good way to write your own licks.
Hey man you have to check http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/. They have a few good free country lick lesson. You can get more lesson for 5 bucks. Also the magzine Guitar Techniques covered 20 country licks in their december issue (very good and comes with a CD). If you could order a back issues I would do it. YOU CAN PLAY THE LAP STEEL GUITAR? Any advice or a good spot to find information on how to play it. Good to hear from a country fan that was fan before that pop bs walk the line moive.
Quote by trying
Also the magzine Guitar Techniques covered 20 country licks in their december issue (very good and comes with a CD). If you could order a back issues I would do it.

Yeah, I have that lying around somewhere, it has a very prolific studio country guitarist whose name escapes me.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by trying
Hey man you have to check http://www.freeguitarvideos.com/. They have a few good free country lick lesson. You can get more lesson for 5 bucks. Also the magzine Guitar Techniques covered 20 country licks in their december issue (very good and comes with a CD). If you could order a back issues I would do it. YOU CAN PLAY THE LAP STEEL GUITAR? Any advice or a good spot to find information on how to play it. Good to hear from a country fan that was fan before that pop bs walk the line moive.

No i cant play it (God i wish i could though), I just know a couple of pedal steel style licks translated to the six string (with abit of reverb and a nice clean tone they sound godly on my new Tele)
Quote by rock_and_blues
No i cant play it (God i wish i could though), I just know a couple of pedal steel style licks translated to the six string (with abit of reverb and a nice clean tone they sound godly on my new Tele)

In the April addition of Guitar World, Steve Morse has a video lesson and an article on simulating pedal steel licks to guitar. Real neat stuff.
Quote by DeathDealer
you people are daft

"You rise as high as your dominant aspiration, you descend to the level of your lowest concept of yourself. Free your mind and your ass will follow." Funkadelic

Member #7 of the Peavey is Amazing Club
yea i saw that, thats where i got a couple of em from, and there were a few other magazine articles, and just playing around and what not