Page 1 of 2
why cant we go into a solo and change the pitch from low to high?
bassguitar4ever
because the reason a BASS is called a BASS is because it is responsible for producing the LOW tones... if it could play the HIGH notes, it would be a guitar... string length, thinkness, and tuning all make a bass. and a whammy-bar on a Bass would kill someone, lol
You can go high on a bass, just not compared to an instrument in a higher octave (obviously). Thats kinda why its called a bass; because its the lowest of the stringed instruments. Just like in vocal music the lowest voice is the bass voice, so too for instruments. Its just a fact of life (and physics).
Because there is a limit to most everything in the universe.

Now, I'm sayin' this with all do respect...that's like asking "why can't my stock Civic with sweet vinyl decals and a coffee can muffler that goes 'bwaaaaah' go 200+ mph?"
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by hatebreed219
Because there is a limit to most everything in the universe.

Now, I'm sayin' this with all do respect...that's like asking "why can't my stock Civic with sweet vinyl decals and a coffee can muffler that goes 'bwaaaaah' go 200+ mph?"

I'm not sure I totally understand the question, even with the responses given.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Seriously though...if I understand your question correctly...and I'm hoping I'm not...why don't you just play on a higher string and/or fret to make a higher pitch?
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
its called BASS for a reason
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
i htink he means it never has the squealing sound of a quitar, and thats because of the thicker strings, plus everyhting everyone else said
Guitars:
Fender MIM Telecaster
Epiphone SG Goth
Ibanez Soundgear Bass
Amps:
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60 DSP
Crate BT-50
thank you for finaly understanding at least i know you are smart
bassguitar4ever
you aperently do not i am looking for a sqeuiky high piched noise duh
bassguitar4ever
Quote by watchingmefall
Whammys do exist in the bass world, though they are rarely seen. Claypool has one on one of his basses for example.

So does Justin Chancellor from Tool. I've got one built ito a vocal processor that does the job.

I find that using a bit of distortion and Wah and using notes past the 12th fret (Thats easy for me to say, I've got 24 frets) really does the trick. Who says you need to copy a guitar and use hight notes, why not use what the gods of bass have given you? (Listen to some Cliff Burton solos to see what I mean.)

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by amonamon4
you aperently do not i am looking for a sqeuiky high piched noise duh

Time to take English 101 and learn about spelling and sentence structure!

If you want high pitched, play a guitar. Period. Otherwise you are really trying to break the laws of music and the physical universe, as stated by others above.
This is infinitely the dumbest thread ever to grace the bass forum. It almost calls for the classic slow clap that gradually fades into a thunderous applause. However since the question is so freaking stupid it won't get that. Why can't basses make high notes? BECAUSE THEY ARE TUNED TOO FREAKING LOW!!! Here's an idea buddy, take your bass and tune every string up two octaves. High enough for you? I hope you enjoy that. If you want to do pinch harmonics on a high E string, then play guitar. If you want high notes and low notes, play an ERB. A bass however, is never going to play "a sqeuiky high piched noise duh." Ever. You phail at life, and English. If English isn't your first language, then you still phail at English and life.
i think u need to rethink ur choice of instruments, u obviously rather play guitar.

but if u insist, learn to do some crazy artficial harmonics like jaco. it'll get you i think 2 octaves highe than the 21st fret of the G string (if u do it amazingly well).
look, i think ur being a bit of an ass. seriously, ur getting mad at us for something thats phisically impossible to do with a bass. u want a higher pitch, play guitar. a bass is a bass, and incase u didnt know, BASS means low and deep.
[img]http://www.danasoft.com/sig/NotsodumbnowamI.jpg[/img]
George Bush - "More than just a euphanism of pubic hair" - Colin Mocharie

MySpace be my friend,...... please?

Quote by iamded
My god... so simple... yet so fucking genius! You rock.
I've seen a John Paul Jones video where I believe he's using a Whammy pedal during his bass solo. Of course, this is also an 8-string bass he's playing if I recall correctly.
Quote by amonamon4
i want some high notes to go with a high corus song duh

just play the same notes in a lower octave and add thickness instead of making it sound thin and tinny and shit?

jhesus christ, the day someone plays a bass as a guitar i will stab my leg repeatedly.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
whilst it is possible to get high notes (NOT SQUEALING THOUGH) you're barely going to use them. The highest I've found is an artificial harmonic on the 21st fret. There are probably higher ones, but I've only ever used anything like that a few times.

If you want to Dime it up with pinch harmonics that threaten to smash windows, buy a guitar.
Threadstarter, stop being so whiney. These guys know what they're talking about so listen up. You might learn a thing or two.
signature
seriously right, hes answering your question
what i THINK your on about (and i seriously have no idea from what your typing)
are pinch harmonics.
which dont work as well on bass.
Quote by Nemesis260
police is logical. or do your duty and rape him back

GEAR:
Laney BH150
Marshall B150
Line6 Spider II 15
BOSS HM-2 Heavy Metal (80's!)
Epi SG Special
Peavey Milestone III
Because the physical universe that we are known to live in won't allow it?

The TS said this answer "wasn't very logical", despite it being perfectly correct! Sound waves are governed by the laws of physics, which currently (among other things) dictate that the lower the frequency of a vibration, the lower the resulting sound. Bass instruments produce low frequency vibrations and therefore lower sounds.

So currently the TS needs English lessons, Physics lessons, and guitar lessons (seeing as he doesn't seem to like the noises his bass makes).
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, but the answer to this question is:

because the strings are thicker. Simple.

I could play the same note at the same frequency on my bass, and it would not sound the same even though it's the same frequency.
... this still begs the question: why the hell is the threadstarter playing the bass in the first place? he obviously has no clue about the simplest, most blatantly obvious principle of the bass; that it is designed to provide the low end sound of the musical intstrument range. it's like asking why your bass drum doesn't sound like your snare.
Check out 8-Bit Trip!
www.myspace.com/8BitTrip

-·-·-·[ Music Squirrel ]·-·-·-

Also, get on my profile and friend me, bitches!
i would say get this:

but you fail, so nevermind.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
gibson les paul tenor has a bigsby
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by Nightmare_xxx
... this still begs the question: why the hell is the threadstarter playing the bass in the first place? he obviously has no clue about the simplest, most blatantly obvious principle of the bass; that it is designed to provide the low end sound of the musical intstrument range. it's like asking why your bass drum doesn't sound like your snare.

Well he never said he PLAYS the bass! He just asked why cant bass make high notes so that he could solo like a glamorous lead player, but as he obviously hasnt seen any Billy Sheehan, Cliff Burton or Geddy Lee stuff so he thinks tht its impossible to solo on bass with so low frequencies. Its actually a kid who wants to be cool, yet still be a bassist. Show him the Billy Sheehan bass shred video, and he wont ask the dumb question again. Bad english & bad understanding can get u soo far away from planet Earth!
Last edited by Bassface_505 at Feb 22, 2007,
Page 1 of 2