In the continual search for better equipment, I have shifted my course back onto amplifiers. The Peavey Windsor has piqued my interest, and I would like to ask some questions of those who have played this amp a lot or have owned it.

1. I have heard it was made to sound like a JCM800. How accurate is this sound comparison?

2. Any issues with reliability/bad things with amp? Includes things that don't work, things it doesn't have, and so on.

3.1 Head or combo? I honestly do not need a 120watt tube head. Thats a bit excessive for almost anything short of stadiums. However, there is not much price difference...

3.2 The combo says that it comes with "Power Sponge" attenuator and spring reverb. However, the head version mentions neither of these. Does it not have them, or is it simply not mentioned on the website?

3.3 If the head does come with both those, and seeing the very little price difference, would it still be best to get the combo (then would not have to buy a cab, although if the head comes with built-in attenuator...)?

More questions yet to come, and opinions are welcome.

Combo
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116598/number/03597430/cat/397/begin/1/Windsor%3F+Studio.cfm

Head
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/detail/item/116543/number/00584870/cat/397/begin/1/Windsor%3F+Head.cfm

If the links don't work, then just go to www.peavey.com --> amps --> windsor

EDIT1 (already ) : The head comes with a "Texture" control for A to A/B poweramp style for more tonal variation, does it come with the combo?

EDIT2 : Negate EDIT1, the combo is class A only.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Last edited by Sendrith at Feb 20, 2007,
I have looked a little bit more, and it seems that the combo hasn't even been released yet, and that the head is still relatively new. However information is much appreciated.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Wow, I've never seen that combo before, it looks pretty cool, like a THD because you can put any tube you want in it. Plus the power attenuator
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
1. I have heard it was made to sound like a JCM800. How accurate is this sound comparison? Here's the deal. Yes, it sounds like a JCM800. However, I think people use that statement wayyyy too much. If you had to pick an amp to compare it to, it'd be one of the JCM's, probably the 800. Still, the Peavey has a lot more gain, and a much different tone. It's still balls-to-the-wall British rock voiced though.

2. Any issues with reliability/bad things with amp? Includes things that don't work, things it doesn't have, and so on. I've played this amp a ton, everytime I go to a shop I play it for 2 hours +, and I've never noticed anything wrong with it.

3.1 Head or combo? That's completely opinion.

3.2 The combo says that it comes with "Power Sponge" attenuator and spring reverb. However, the head version mentions neither of these. Does it not have them, or is it simply not mentioned on the website? The head does not have reverb or an attenuator.

3.3 If the head does come with both those, and seeing the very little price difference, would it still be best to get the combo (then would not have to buy a cab, although if the head comes with built-in attenuator...)? Like I said before, that's completely opinion.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Quote by Unskathed

3.2 The combo says that it comes with "Power Sponge" attenuator and spring reverb. However, the head version mentions neither of these. Does it not have them, or is it simply not mentioned on the website? The head does not have reverb or an attenuator.

woah, if the head doesn't have reverb, isnt getting the combo a better idea unless you want a whole bunch of separate cabs?
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
^combo might be lower gain since its class A tube amp.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^ so the combo doesn't have that cool shape control?

that is good to know. I have a sweet ass reverb pedal anyways.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
what would you guys say about this compared to the jsx mini colossal?

i'm kinda tossing between the two now..