I've been using my starter pack guitar and amp for a year now. The guitar isnt so bad but the is among the worst on the market. The overdrive is complete sh*t.

I'll finally be able to upgrade in about a month or two. My budget is $700 USA. I play mostly Hendrix and i also want to start playing some more hardrock stuff like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, GnR and heavy blues like SRV. So I've pretty much decided on a MIM HSS Strat. I'm going to cherry pick the best one out of the store.

For amp i was pretty set on a Vox Valvetronix 30w. I realy like how it models several different amps and has built in effects. But I'm wondering if i should just get a $400 tube amp instead. I realy love the warm crunchy hendrix tone, i dono if I can get that from SS, From what I've read, tube amps are realy loud and im not in a band so ill need to be playing at bedroom volumes, and dont you need to crank tube amps to get overdrive?? So should I get a tube amp or save money and get the Vox?
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
save the cash and get the vox.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
in my opinion, with amount of money, or any amount over like 350 american, iit is absolutely retarded to go SS.

700 bucks can get you alot of things. fender has so low wattage amps, as does traynor and vox has the AC15 that you could probably get somewhere for 700 bucks maybe even new.

the epiphone line has alot of great tube amps for blues players. the valve junior is only 5 watts, which has a limited tone, but is crankable and really great for the music you want to play. with some pedals, you will be in blues/rock heaven. they also have some 15 watters and 30 watters inthe blues line.

you can also get an attenuator which is a device that goes in between your amp and speaker and limits the volume by turning wattage into heat. this will allow you to crank a tube amp to sweet tone levels with out damaging your hearing or getting the cops called on you at night.

DO NOT SPEND 700 DOLLARS ON A SS AMP.

it would be like buying a used toyota for 40 grand. just buy a new car.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
I don't think he was looking to spend 700 on just the amp.

For 700$ I think the HSS Strat and Vox will suit your needs nicely. A Valve Junior would work good too though, so just try them out see which you like better.
How much is the strat? if you could get one used look at the Fender Blues Junior, i played a strat with one yesterday and i was able to get a really good SRV tone with it (mind you have a tubescreamer in front of it, you will need some sort of overdrive to really get that tone out of it) they run for 400 dollars, i'm picking mine up in a week or two.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
A Fender blues Jr and a tube screamer or overdrive would be around $450. and would sound much better than the Vox
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
I've decided to go tube. I love the warmth way to much to go SS. The blues junior looks good. It gets good reviews and ive listened to several samples on youtube and it sounds great to me, love the cleans.

Couple of questions:

Will i be able to get good hardrock tones out of it? I read it doesnt do high gain, but a pedal could fix this according to you guys right?

I notice that theres no gain knob, does volume knob do the same thing though??

What does the fat button do?

I see it has master and normal volume. What is that for? Does it let you crank it and keep low volume??

sorry im so full of questions. Thanks for help.
Quote by GuitarNinja12
I've decided to go tube. I love the warmth way to much to go SS. The blues junior looks good. It gets good reviews and ive listened to several samples on youtube and it sounds great to me, love the cleans.

Couple of questions:

Will i be able to get good hardrock tones out of it? I read it doesnt do high gain, but a pedal could fix this according to you guys right?

I notice that theres no gain knob, does volume knob do the same thing though??

What does the fat button do?

I see it has master and normal volume. What is that for? Does it let you crank it and keep low volume??

sorry im so full of questions. Thanks for help.

The blues JR will get great blues tones and rock tones, but only with it cranked, and that will be way too loud for 99% of the time. But, if you add an overdrive or tubescreamer pedal, you should be able to get great rock sounds out of the amp at lower volumes.
Pedals to chech out Digitech bad monkey, Boss SD-1, Ibanez TS9
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2
Alright, Ill check out pedals too then.

Also when the time comes that im buying it, will they try and give me the floor model? Or do they usually have brand new ones like in a stock room? I dont wanna buy an abused floor model.
I dont know very much about tube amps and I notice that the blues jr doesnt have a standby switch. I thought tubes need a standby to let them warm up right??? With the blues jr can you just plug in and start playing with out letting it warm up???

I'd still also like to know if the master volume alows you to crank the amp but keep it at low volume.

Thanks for any help.
replies??? Please...??
You guys are killing me here...

triple..
Quote by adammarshall409
in my opinion, with amount of money, or any amount over like 350 american, iit is absolutely retarded to go SS.

700 bucks can get you alot of things. fender has so low wattage amps, as does traynor and vox has the AC15 that you could probably get somewhere for 700 bucks maybe even new.

the epiphone line has alot of great tube amps for blues players. the valve junior is only 5 watts, which has a limited tone, but is crankable and really great for the music you want to play. with some pedals, you will be in blues/rock heaven. they also have some 15 watters and 30 watters inthe blues line.

you can also get an attenuator which is a device that goes in between your amp and speaker and limits the volume by turning wattage into heat. this will allow you to crank a tube amp to sweet tone levels with out damaging your hearing or getting the cops called on you at night.

DO NOT SPEND 700 DOLLARS ON A SS AMP.

it would be like buying a used toyota for 40 grand. just buy a new car.

Adam

thats bad advice to tell someone not to spend 700 bucks on a solid state amp. i have a line 6 flextone 3 XL which is a solid state amp that costs 700 bucks and its probably one of the best amps i have ever heard.
You do have to let the tubes warm up even if there is no standby switch. There will be no sound comming from the amp until the tubes warm up which wil take 10-20 seconds or so. Dont worry about the standby, The amp will be fine.
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2