Page 1 of 2
im dont know where else to put this... so

i want to start playing melodeath, and i just want to know the basics of it. i know you need a lot of harmonization, and melody. what about techniques? i know you need aly picking, and pam muting. but do i really need to sweap pick too? what about guitars? what pickups (passive) do i need to get started, do i need a downtuned guitar? on the amp deparment, will marshall JCM900 be "heavy" enough? what specific scales do i need to use? how technical is the sub-genre?

if possible, maybe make a list?

thanks in advance.
Go to Musician Talk, son.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
urgh your ment to just feel it and play it not to be told how

this is why trivium isn't metal they have to be helped
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
im dont know where else to put this... so

i want to start playing melodeath, and i just want to know the basics of it. i know you need a lot of harmonization, and melody. what about techniques? i know you need aly picking, and pam muting. but do i really need to sweap pick too? what about guitars? what pickups (passive) do i need to get started, do i need a downtuned guitar? on the amp deparment, will marshall JCM900 be "heavy" enough? what specific scales do i need to use? how technical is the sub-genre?

if possible, maybe make a list?

thanks in advance.

Well this isn't really the right forum but.....
Well, basically just start playing alot of songs by meoldeath songs. You dont' have to sweep pick but it is a great technique which I still can't do well
Tuning is all about preference, In Flames even tunes down to C i believe
That amp should be fine as long as you have distortion.
The genre is very technical usually. Try the song Bed of Razors and see if you can play it. Hope that helps somewhat.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
if you get any answers, please let me know?
I just want to know.
Professional Tracking, Mixing and Mastering available.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Past clients/ credits include: The Catalyst, Click! and Alain Caron.
Quote by Dr Grinwraith

couldn't have said it better.

bro, part of being a good musician is being original.

rather than us show you how to play melodeath, you show us.
Tuning doesn't matter ATG are in B, Dark Tranq were in Eb on The Gallery.

Don't go by formulas and already established methods and you'll get on much better.
i just thought about that, maybe i dont need advises, really. thats actually true, just feel it and play at your own way. thanks i should do that.

and to burn, i listen to heartwork carcass, CoB, old in flames, and dark trangquility
Quote by StuartR
Tuning doesn't matter ATG are in B, Dark Tranq were in Eb on The Gallery.

Don't go by formulas and already established methods and you'll get on much better.

what do you mean by formulas and already established methods?
just think about it this way, imagine that guy just listens to your advice to just literally "play it by ear" and writes some stuff he thinks is melodeath. He then comes here all happy: "Hey guys please crit my melodeath songs" and then people just start destroying his work with comments like (which are unfortunately way too common here on UG) : "dude that's melodeath" or " wtf man that's like shit, like it's sooooooo not melodeath metalzorxz".
Im guessing that's why the threadstarter wants some guidelines of what "defines" melodeath metal.

Although it's true it's better to just do it how you feel it but some guidelines help.
Glad to see that you guys are even recommending bands.

Just my two cents.
Available for live sound, consultation and rig/ system designing in and around the Montreal, CA area.
PM for details.

Quote by SeanHart213
rather than us show you how to play melodeath, you show us.

Thats a great post. But why is there random Trivium bashing in a melodeath thread?

A band used hardcore screaming to get popular and once they were they went to their roots. They were smarter than you and took advantage of "selling out" and for that you don't like them? You should praise them for bringing metal back to actual singing vocals, not crying about a scheme they pulled.

Just learn theory, listen to some Bodom, and maybe something like Kalmah or something, and like Sean said, be original, and you should be fine...Clear sounding distorted guitars work well too (Ibanez through Mesa, ESP through Mesa, Gibson through Marshall, Jackson through Marshall tones are all good).

Good luck to ya!
^ like if you said "use the aeolian mode, slowed-down acoustic interludes, and heavy use of sweep picking in solos"

my advice would be to experiment with different modes / scales (or just play it by ear)
learn new chords, new techniques, time signatures, etc etc and try to write some songs using them. worst case scenario: you get some good writing experience. best case scenario: you create something original
Quote by B4Dkarma
When you look at a guy and immediately go, "wow, what a douchebag"

that is what girls find attractive.
Wow, you guys are a refreshing change from the Pit, you're actually nice! Kudos. I'm gonna try to come here more often, lol.
PM for details.

Quote by KissingShadows
Thats a great post. But why is there random Trivium bashing in a melodeath thread?

A band used hardcore screaming to get popular and once they were they went to their roots. They were smarter than you and took advantage of "selling out" and for that you don't like them? You should praise them for bringing metal back to actual singing vocals, not crying about a scheme they pulled.

Just learn theory, listen to some Bodom, and maybe something like Kalmah or something, and like Sean said, be original, and you should be fine...Clear sounding distorted guitars work well too (Ibanez through Mesa, ESP through Mesa, Gibson through Marshall, Jackson through Marshall tones are all good).

Good luck to ya!

i like trivium sometimes but its the truth they just copy other people's "formulas" etc and try to be "metal" (used in the lamest way)

EDIT kalmah rule!
Quote by Dr Grinwraith
i like trivium sometimes but its the truth they just copy other people's "formulas" etc and try to be "metal" (used in the lamest way)

EDIT kalmah rule!

I see what your saying now, and I definately agree with you! But they do make good some good music, sometimes, so they must be doing something right! But yea Kalmah rule lol, if you wanna hear really well done melodeath, listen to the CD They Will Return. The way the vocals go with the drums is just perfect! And the keyboard interludes just make me drool!
so , what you guys are trying to say is to just listen to melodeath a lot, adapt to it, and make original songs, not copy other band's formulas, but you can modify it a little, experiment, and dont be told how to be melodeath?
ding ding ding
PM for details.

Quote by Dr Grinwraith

+1

"HEYY GUYZ! HELP MEH BE BLK METTLE!! SHUD I WEAR 3 LINES OF BLACK AND WHIT CORPSE PAINTZ OR 4??!!"
There's such a thing called the art of gracefully "stealing" other people's stuff and "frankensteining" it. 'twas in guitar world magazine. Yeah so, basically just listen to lots of it and eventually you'll be picking up some stuff from others and creating your own mix and just playing that from ear. And voila, you're playing your own melodeath. That's what happens to me.
PM for details.

^well, now i feel so stupid because i do the same thing on heavy metal!!! stupid me. i need some drink
I personally advise that you don't write with genre in mind. Writing with a particular genre in the mindframe can stunt originality, especially in a genre as overly crowded as Melodic Death.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
To anyone.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
to you, miguelito

ok well there you go man. That's what it's all about. I just realised that I kinda helped myself too in this thread lol. Good talking to you guys .
PM for details.

Quote by Dr Grinwraith

What the hell are you going on about you idiot?
Quote by miguelito2729
ok well there you go man. That's what it's all about. I just realised that I kinda helped myself too in this thread lol. Good talking to you guys .

i noticed that.

i guess this thread is over?
Quote by pnoy_sk8er21
i noticed that.

i guess this thread is over?

It should have been over after my post.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by walkinbazooka
It should have been over after my post.

haha, you followed it?
PM for details.

Quote by miguelito2729
just think about it this way, imagine that guy just listens to your advice to just literally "play it by ear" and writes some stuff he thinks is melodeath. He then comes here all happy: "Hey guys please crit my melodeath songs" and then people just start destroying his work with comments like (which are unfortunately way too common here on UG) : "dude that's melodeath" or " wtf man that's like shit, like it's sooooooo not melodeath metalzorxz".
Im guessing that's why the threadstarter wants some guidelines of what "defines" melodeath metal.

Although it's true it's better to just do it how you feel it but some guidelines help.
Glad to see that you guys are even recommending bands.

Just my two cents.

well he could always exclude the genre when he posts it. theres no rule that you have to put (song title)-MELODEATH SONG I MADE!! CRIT 4 CRIT as the title. he could just put the song title and leave it at that, then let the people debate what genre they think it is. and when the smoke clears, he can, if he want to, reveal what he intended it to be
Quote by garden of grey
+1

"HEYY GUYZ! HELP MEH BE BLK METTLE!! SHUD I WEAR 3 LINES OF BLACK AND WHIT CORPSE PAINTZ OR 4??!!"

LMFAO!!!
If you "want to start a melo-death band" and have no idea what you're doing...that's probably not that great

Learn everything you can, and apply it to music. Write music you want to, and that your abilities can handle. I don't think it's a good idea to *wait* until you have everything down before trying to start writing songs, when you get an idea in your head, just noodle around. Find some people to jam with and not really "form a band" jamming is a litting more open and tends to help creativity IMO.

Hope you find what you're looking for
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by Dr Grinwraith

what does that mean that trivium need to be helped?

and to threadstarter, if you listen to the music you will have all the answers to your questions and you seem quite noobish in the fact you are saying stuff like i ' in know you need alt picking and palm muting' wtf? theyre standard basic techniques used in pretty much all music dont be foolish and go learn some bodom songs from tabs on this site and then youll know what is melodeath and different styles they use.
Seriously, why are you people recommending CoB as essential Melodeath? CoB is mostly comprised of Power Metal musicality and Neo-Classical lead playing. I can understand that theyre lumped under Melodeath due to no other suitable terms. But recommending them as an example of essential Melodic Death is stupid.

I stand by the advice I gave earlier, but if your going to go tell him to play melodeath songs, stuff like At the Gates, Dark Tranquillity and Heartwork-Era Carcass are far more suitable to recommend.
LAMMERGEIER
Melodeath in 7 easy steps:

1. Drop Tune your guitar. Drop D, Drop C, Drop B, Drop E, etc
2. Use mostly the 0,1,4,5,7,10,12,13 frets on the 6th string
3. Use mostly the 1,4,5,7,8 frets on the 5th string.
4. Rarely use any other string.
5. Make patterns using the above frets on the 5th string, while every so often chugging the open Dropped string.
6. Rinse and repeat
7. Record.
Quote by insideac
1. Drop Tune your guitar. Drop D, Drop C, Drop B, Drop E, etc

I have never learnt any Melodeath songs in drop-tuning. Ironically.
LAMMERGEIER
Quote by ch715dallat
what does that mean that trivium need to be helped?

i like trivium but you can tell that they rip off loads of songs just little things like, a part on ignition sounds like 2 minutes to midnight etc
Last edited by Dr Grinwraith at Feb 21, 2007,
Page 1 of 2