Poll: Which guitar for death metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar for death metal?
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
70 72%
Jackson WRMG Warrior
27 28%
Voters: 97.
Page 1 of 2
i played death metal. i need really insane distortion. what would be my best bet. the ibanez xiphos xpt 700 or the jackson warrior WRMG.

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos: http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-XPT700-RCM.html
Neck - 5pc Wizard II Thru-Neck
Body - Mahogany Body
Fingerboard - Bound Rosewood
Bridge - Edge III Bridge
Neck Pickup - DiMarzio® D Activator™
Middle Pickup - DiMarzio® D Activator™

jackson WRMG warrior: http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-JAC2910105.html
BODY :Alder with Carved Top and Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors
NECK :Bolt-On Rock Maple
FINGERBOARD :Rosewood
BRIDGE PICKUP :EMG® HZ (i think it might be 81's/85's instead)
NECK PICKUP :EMG® HZ
BRIDGE :JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo

if your going to say something give reason why. personal experiences maybe. thanks.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Because im a Jackson guy, I'm gunna have to say the Jackson nice body, great pups for what you play. I'm not a Death Metal guy, but i do listen to Cannibal Corpse and DEATH here and there.... the Jackson is the way to go though.
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
me and my friend had this same argument earlier today.

both: ugly

i like alder more than mahogany.
i like neck throughs more than bolt-ons
i like dimarzios more than EMGS
i like Jackson floyd more than Edge III.

so, thats my opinion.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Alder will give you a sharper and brighter sound than mahogany. EMGs are generally considered more 'tr00' for death metal and really any heavy sound, but I've never heard a D Activator, so no opinion there. Edge III is kinda shytte and Jackson Floyds are awesome.

Also, the "Xiphos" is nothing more than a Jackson Warrior rip-off, so... I say Jackson ftw.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
what's so bad about the edge lll^?
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
Quote by ar73m

Also, the "Xiphos" is nothing more than a Jackson Warrior rip-off, so... I say Jackson ftw.

The Xiphos is nothing more than an updated Axstar, which was around before the Warrior, so if anything, the Warrior is a Ibanez Axstar rip-off.
who cares about the shape....im talking about the specs of the guitar.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Quote by dudey5691
i heard the edge-tremelos are made with a cheaper type of metal, and the tremolo makes it a whole lot harder to keep your guitar in tune, and tune in general.

but...i dunno, just what i heard.

yea but the Jackson LFR is nothing to brag about.

Order of floating double locking Trem from best to worst IMO Goes as follows

OFR=Edge=Edge Pro=Schaller=gotoh

then
FLoyd Rose II and ZR Trem
then
Edge Pro 2 and LFR
then

Edge 3 and none LFR FR's
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by El Codyo
The Xiphos is nothing more than an updated Axstar, which was around before the Warrior, so if anything, the Warrior is a Ibanez Axstar rip-off.

and before the warrior BC Rich did a similar shape I'm pretty certain..
and Carvin did a shape similar to the Axstar but with the big fin on the bottom...

The jackson is probably the most notable though.

Anyways, I chose jackson because its made in Japan, whereas the Xiphos is Korean, and the Alder wood, pickups, and overall specs are superior (with the exception of Neck-thru, which is a nice touch for the Xiphos)
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
i believe that the xiphos might have better specs, neck thru, the dimarzio pickups are supposed to be designed like EMG's. They designed them to replicate active pickups. Which is better the edge lll or the Jackson floyd rose......please speak from experience thanks.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
They both kinda suck. The jackson JS are not too realiable. But th Edge III is worse so trem wise JAckson is slightly better
Quote by Striketalonx
and before the warrior BC Rich did a similar shape I'm pretty certain..
and Carvin did a shape similar to the Axstar but with the big fin on the bottom...

The jackson is probably the most notable though.

Anyways, I chose jackson because its made in Japan, whereas the Xiphos is Korean, and the Alder wood, pickups, and overall specs are superior (with the exception of Neck-thru, which is a nice touch for the Xiphos)

The Jackson has EMG HZ's, which aren't anything to brag about.

EDIT: can't you go custom if you save up a little more?
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Feb 20, 2007,
Quote by aznrockerdude
The Jackson has EMG HZ's, which aren't anything to brag about.

My bad, I thought they had Actives.

yah..
Either way you are probably gonna change the pickups...
It depends really, nobody knows what the D Activators really sound like.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Both trems suck horridly and should be changed, I'm pretty sure you can replace a Edge 3 with and Original Edge or Edge Pro, right?
Lol, how many of you guys saying "Jackson LFRs suck" have actually played a Jackson in their life? I've had at least half a dozen Jacksons and none of them gave me trouble.

Oh well. Trendy opinions > knowledge, huh.

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Quote by ar73m
Lol, how many of you guys saying "Jackson LFRs suck" have actually played a Jackson in their life? I've had at least half a dozen Jacksons and none of them gave me trouble.

sadly its true..
i know a guy, actually a real good guitar player and teacher too, who has a DKMG for about 4 years.. and original LFR still holds perfect tune, and he uses it in a very vai-esque style... that is, very heavy, to say the least
Quote by Striketalonx
sadly its true..
i know a guy, actually a real good guitar player and teacher too, who has a DKMG for about 4 years.. and original LFR still holds perfect tune, and he uses it in a very vai-esque style... that is, very heavy, to say the least

Tell me all about it. I don't use the Floyd VERY much in my songs, but I like to fool around rather insanely with it every now and then, and guess what, the only times I need to retune my guitars is when I'm switching tunings or changing strings. That goes for my Dinky, that goes for my Kelly, it was the same with the JS-30 I used to have, and every other Jackson I've played. It would be great if people on this forum stopped talking out their arses and quit telling people this or that sucks just because it's the current trend to badmouth it. /shrugs

dont quote me on this but IF you got the Ibanez, you could take out the edge III. do some looking on ebay and what not to find a Edge-Pro and fit that in. I think they share all the same fittings etc so you wont need to drill any holes. However i am not 100% sure about this. Ask on Jemsite since they will know.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by jerm__

jackson WRMG warrior: http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-JAC2910105.html
BODY :Alder with Carved Top and Flame Maple Veneer on Transparent Colors
NECK :Bolt-On Rock Maple
FINGERBOARD :Rosewood
BRIDGE PICKUP :EMG® HZ (i think it might be 81's/85's instead)
NECK PICKUP :EMG® HZ
BRIDGE :JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo

if your going to say something give reason why. personal experiences maybe. thanks.

What kills the Jackson is the shite Emg's. If you get the higher version with proper floyd and Emgs 81/60 (or 85)

But still Jackson ftw
I say go Jackson. The best guitars IMO. I personally prefer duncans over EMG's but I will tell you that the new MG series SUCK for clean sounds.
Quote by ar73m

i owned a jackson DKMG, DK-2 and RR3 and for tuning stability they held up to a sub par standard. I tried adjusting it, setting it right and nothing worked. Granted it held up better than cheap LFRS in other companies models and the edge 3( and tiny bit better than Edge pro II) it still didn't hold up like the other models. Good thing tho is that the jackson LFR should be a direct swap to a OFR. Same with the LFR on LTD's
hmm actually guys the WRMG has 81/85's the site i got that info was wrong....i checked on the site early and the WRMG warrior has 81/85's.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
^seems right. most of the jacksons now have real sd's and real emgs.
Quote by mexican_shred
^seems right. most of the jacksons now have real sd's and real emgs.

Really? I noticed that more guitars are starting to have "Duncan Designed" pups in them.
hmm i was thinking about getting Xiphos since its like 100 bucks less, and i think i like the shape more, so when i need to i could just get an OFR to put in it. its a neck-thru which is nicer than bolt-on also. thoughts?
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
^I dont think an OFR fits in the Xiphos. You could try a normal Edge trem though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
i heard that the EDGE pro does not fit in a guitar to replace an edge lll, although an OFR seems to work. not sure though.

the guitars have about 100$ difference, so i could use a little more money to put in for a new bridge when needed. the pickups should be fine (they're supposed to be like actice pickups), but if i need to change them i'll probably put in JB/'59's or EMG's.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Quote by aznrockerdude
^I dont think an OFR fits in the Xiphos. You could try a normal Edge trem though.

An OFR fits in the place of an Edge 3.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by mw7
An OFR fits in the place of an Edge 3.

Well, y'learn something new everyday.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
The ibanez is maho and you need 'insane distortion' so i'd go for that , plus it looks better.
Quote by ar73m
Alder will give you a sharper and brighter sound than mahogany. EMGs are generally considered more 'tr00' for death metal and really any heavy sound,

Actually everyone seems to despise them over at the metaltab boards.

But all I have to say is that if it's good enough for Muhamed(sp?) then it's good enough for me (although his is definitely not the same as the stock model).
I say:

None, save up another hundred bucks and you can buy a Schecter c-1 hellraiser OFR which has a mahogany with a quilted maple top, OFR and the active EMG set (81/85).

All of these upgrades for not that much extra cash. Also consider that Upgrading a trem and the pickups on either one of those guitars is gonna end up costing more then the Hellraiser.

But if you do want one out of those i guess the Jackson is sightly better, i think it sucks for the price anyways.

Edit. I just saw your sig and you already have one of those... Im a dumbass.
hahaha ya i have one, its really sick, great guitar. But i'd like to have a crazy shape also, and upgrading pickups/bridge wouldn't be too much to have a great guitar since the Xiphos is like $650. the bridge i would eventually put in would have to be something that i wouldn't have to do some body cutting and whatnot.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
Page 1 of 2