I'm looking to change my bridge pickup in my jackson RR3. Im into heavy metal. i need lots of gain. I realize that if i go with active EMGs im going to have to change both.

what do you prefer and why? [if you like EMG's what should i get]
What would my clean tone be like with the EMG's?
Attachments:
Jackson2small.jpg
Last edited by MetalDisease at Feb 20, 2007,
Not the dimebucker unless you want thrash, that's a good pickup for that style; my friend has both pickups (emg 85) in the bridge and a dimebucker in another guitar. Good luck. Oh, you don't need to change both if you just use the bridge for metal.
Quote by sureburt37
Not the dimebucker unless you want thrash, that's a good pickup for that style; my friend has both pickups (emg 85) in the bridge and a dimebucker in another guitar. Good luck. Oh, you don't need to change both if you just use the bridge for metal.

actually, im pretty sure he does have to change both, because EMG's are wired totally different.

but tell me if im wrong because i might be....
what would i put in the neck pick up if i were to go with EMG's? and does that mean im gonna end up paying another hundred bucks?
im pretty sure that you put the '85 in the bridge, and an '81 in the neck.
you can buy a package of the two for about $200.
Last edited by ashesofthewake at Feb 20, 2007,
Go with an emg set. The dimebucker is one of the most overpriced POS pup. Its incredibly muddy and noisy, and has that high price tag because it has Dimebags name on it. IF you wan t the real Dimebag pup go with a Bill Lawrence.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
ive heard of people putting and emg 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck... im starting to get really confused
Quote by MetalDisease
ive heard of people putting and emg 81 in the bridge and the 85 in the neck... im starting to get really confused

yeah you get that some times. The two don't HAVE to go where its recommended to install them. Its up to you if you like how it sounds.
I have EMG 81 and 60 combo. The 60 is really good for cleans, i have that in my neck. EMGs are more versitile than people make them out to be. Alas, i dont like them as much as i thaught i would. the hype is what made me look at them the most, none of the bands that i like use them. I recently started gaining interest in Dimarzio X2N and Super Distortion, but for a cleaner sound maybe Tone Zone.

As for going with Dimarzio... heres a few words of advice:

Herman Li
Steve Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Petrucci
Paul Gilbert
Joe Satriani
Last edited by toddpens8771 at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by toddpens8771
I have EMG 81 and 60 combo. The 60 is really good for cleans, i have that in my neck. EMGs are more versitile than people make them out to be. Alas, i dont like them as much as i thaught i would. the hype is what made me look at them the most, none of the bands that i like use them. I recently started gaining interest in Dimarzio X2N and Super Distortion, but for a cleaner sound maybe Tone Zone.

As for going with Dimarzio... heres a few words of advice:

Herman Li
Steve Vai
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Petrucci
Paul Gilbert
Joe Satriani

^^theyre all great but non of them really have the tone im looking for.
heavier shit like trivium, but with a little bit more midrange like killswitch
Oh well then go with the EMG 89 or the SD dimebucker, i dont like the dimebucker, but thats what he uses most of the time.
FYI their les pauls have always had emgs to my knowledge
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by ashesofthewake
actually, im pretty sure he does have to change both, because EMG's are wired totally different.

but tell me if im wrong because i might be....

You can mix active and passive pickups. EMG has wiring diagrams for that setup. Check their website.
Dimarzio sells active pups that dont need batteries... and to the guy talking about the LPs with the EMGs, yeah but matt uses a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty. No guitar makes a nicer sound than that.
Quote by toddpens8771
Dimarzio sells active pups that dont need batteries... and to the guy talking about the LPs with the EMGs, yeah but matt uses a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty. No guitar makes a nicer sound than that.

yea but matt stopped playing his LP when he got a contract with dean. right now i think im gonna go with the emg 81
Quote by toddpens8771

What? How can you run the active pup without batteries? Are you thinking of the D-activator by any chance?
1) The Dimebucker is trash.
2) Dime used a Bill Lawrence L500XL
3) As for EMG's, I recommend an 85 in the bridge and a 60 in the neck
Last edited by wylde_overdrive at Feb 21, 2007,
An 85 in the bridge would sound horrible. A 60 in the neck is good however. But for the bridge, an 81 is better.
Quote by Guitarislife125
What? How can you run the active pup without batteries? Are you thinking of the D-activator by any chance?

Yeah, there still active.
Quote by Fishhooker
An 85 in the bridge would sound horrible. A 60 in the neck is good however. But for the bridge, an 81 is better.

It's a matter of opinion, but I still like the 85 in the bridge.

Ever tried EMG 707's? They are just 7 string 85's and people use them in the bridge all the time. Most people avtually don't like the sound of the EMG 81-7... Figures.