Just wondering could a Blues Jr. be used for gigging?

I have a Vox ad30vt and it was able to play an auditorium sized gig miced, would a 15 watt tube be as loud and able to play in such settings? Or would it be too small and not loud enough for medium gigs?

Also How does it sound with a drummer?

I have a bit of money saved and I can trade in my ad30vt for a tube Blues Jr.

If it helps the heaviest stuff I play is Zep or Sabbath. I also like to play alot of Pink Floyd stuff mainly classic rock.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
for sabbath youll need a pedal...

dude at 5 master volume i get over my drummer, very clearly, and it goes up to 12. yeah i think it could be used for gigs.
it should work fine, but if your drummer is crazy then i dunno. I had a 30 watt SS amp and when i tried it out with my drummer i couldnt hear shit at 10. And everyone told me it could cut through a drummer, id personally never gig with less than 30 watts tube
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Yeah, I used it in a gig even without mic'ing it. It can get pretty loud for a 15 watt, but for bigger places, you might need to mic' it.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
A 15w tube amp will kill a 30w SS amp.

If you can do it with your 30w amp, you should be able to do it with a 15w...maybe without even micing it.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Well if I trade in my ad30vt would I be able to use the Blues Jr. in the bedroom as well?

Also i've seen used Hot Rod Deluxe amps for a hundred dollars more, is it worth saving a little more and getting that?

Can I use a hot rod in the bedroom as well? I know it's 40 watts tube but is it slightly possible?
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

The hot rod would be a little much for bedroom use, especially if you wanted power tube saturation. You probably wouldn't be able to dime the Blues Jr., but I think that'd be your best bet for getting a gigging amp that won't destroy your hearing.

All of that aside, you need to actually go try these amps out. The Blues Jr. is going to sound different from the the Hot Rod Deluxe. If you like the Deluxe's tone over the Blues Jr.'s, get it, regardless of what I just said about volume.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Also i've seen used Hot Rod Deluxe amps for a hundred dollars more, is it worth saving a little more and getting that?

I've seen the Hot Rod used for the price of a new Blues Jr., that's route I'd take if I were you. You could certainly play it in your bedroom. You could play a 1000W tube amp in your room, you just won't get the best out of it. That doesn't mean it won't sound good.

As for your original question, the Blues Jr. should be noticably louder than your AD30. The 5W Epi VJ rivals that Vox in volume. But I agree with WlCmToTheJungle, in that I'd want at least 30W tube to gig with.

You're gonna get burned if you try to trade that amp in, too, BTW. Sell it privately, you'll do much better. I just got $165 for mine. I'd be surprised if the guitar store gave you much more than $100, if that.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Thanks for all the advice guys. Is ebay a good place to sell?

I can also try gear adds on here.

And yeah i'll try both out this week at the store thanks again.

I've had nothing but trouble with eBay. Others have had great luck, but I haven't. I try to sell myself to musicians I know. Myspace might also be a good place to find people.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Try one out, it seems pretty good for your styles (just get an OD and fuzz).
And it can handle small gigging and can definately get over drums.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
it should work fine, but if your drummer is crazy then i dunno. I had a 30 watt SS amp and when i tried it out with my drummer i couldnt hear shit at 10. And everyone told me it could cut through a drummer, id personally never gig with less than 30 watts tube

That's because the percieved volume of a 30 watt ss amp is equivelent to a 12 watt tube amp. Factor of 2.5.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Well I played a Blues Jr. in the store today and may I say wow. I could get some nice tones pretty easily, with some messing around I got a heavy AC/DC sound and got some great reverb drenched cleans aswell. Plus I only had to mess with the knbos for a minute or two to find those sounds.

It was definately as loud, if not more loud than my ad30vt and alot more pleasing at higher volumes.

I tlaked to the guys in the shop, and they do know what they're doing being professional musicians and such, they said it would sound fine miced up. But my guitar teacher who teaches there said I may want 40 watts to really play with a drummer. Any ideas if he's right?

He does gig professionally and has been playing for a long time.

Oh I also played a Crate V16 it was really nice but I liked the Blues Jr. a tad bit more due to the controls but that Crate was a sweet amp.

If you don't have a PA to mic up to it, then 40 watts is probably better. I prefer lower wattage as it's easier to have power tube saturation without blowing people's faces off.

That's kind of the difference between a tube amp and a SS amp as far as achievable volume. Once a SS amp starts to clip, it sounds like crap. Once a tube amp starts to clip...well...that's what we call distortion.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by zeppelinpage4
Thanks for all the advice guys. Is ebay a good place to sell?

Do you have an active Craig's List by you? That's where I've done best. You see AD30VT's on eBay quite a bit, you can check out the completed sales to see what they're selling for. Shipping an amp is a bit of a PITA, but you can fudge the shipping and probably get a decent number for it.

Quote by zeppelinpage4
But my guitar teacher who teaches there said I may want 40 watts to really play with a drummer. Any ideas if he's right?

He does gig professionally and has been playing for a long time.

Oh I also played a Crate V16 it was really nice but I liked the Blues Jr. a tad bit more due to the controls but that Crate was a sweet amp.

There are folks here who gig with the Blues Jr., but I'm of the feeling that you want at least 30W to gig with. You'll get over a drummer with the BJ, but you probably won't be able to do it clean.

I got a V16 for my son, it's a nice amp. If you like that one, they also make a 30W version, and tonight I saw the V32 quarter stack in person for the first time. Pretty cool.

Definitely look used! In that same Guitar center, they had a Hot Rod Deville for $400, and an Evil Twin for $500. You can really maximize your money on the used market.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by andrew7667
If you don't have a PA to mic up to it, then 40 watts is probably better. I prefer lower wattage as it's easier to have power tube saturation without blowing people's faces off.

Agreed.

I've gigged the Blues Junior and couldn't get near full volume. Our drummers loud, very loud (not miced). And although our venues have been moderate sized affairs I was well impressed.
mmm I'm getting my Blues Junior soon, i cant wait, i hooked up a Jekyll and Hyde Ultimate Overdrive to it and got some amazing tones out of it, i'd suggest checking out the pedal if you dont have an OD i got my off ebay in almost brand new condition for 60 bucks, less then half of what it is new.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
My Blues Jr can easily compete with a drummer.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
yeah it's pretty loud. i get over my (moderate) drummer no problem.
also i find speaker add ons and swaps also add loudness.

i think if u're REALLY not sure, and have about $670USD for a resealed Vox AC30...

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VOXAC30CC
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
oh man, i know. it's like hmm, do u want a pretty good amp. or the mutha of all amps!

and if u think about it. wt the blues jr, ur adding a jekyl and hyde or maybe a new speaker so hmm, i think the AC is cheaper!
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Well right now I have about $400, so I could probably save a bit more and get the AC30 over the summer.

I tried the AC30 in the store but couldn't figure out how to use it. I got some clean sounds but I couldn't get any OD.....

I saw an AC15 aswell any comments on that?

I'm just wondering if 15 watts is sufficient with a drummer there were some mixed answers and it seems that 30 watts is the safe way to go....

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 22, 2007,
^honestly. it really depends.

there is no 100% answer.

i went thru the same thing asking everyone before i bought mine. turned out fine for me. but depends on ur band, the gig size and how often ull mic it.

something like a 30 watt gives u room to grow.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

fender amps are amazing my blues gets feckin loud and it goes over my rythyn gats marshall/orange setup and they are flippin loud too blues all the way man and i took it on tiur once and it stood up to a week of shows ina row
whao dude...
Epiphone 335 Dot
Fender FM65R
EHX Big Muff
Boss Digidelay
Boss OD

AND I DONT LIKE NIRVANA THAT MUCH ITS JUST A COOL ANIMATION!!!