Page 1 of 5
Hey all, I hear alot of power-chord hating on these forums in reference to being noobish if you use them in excess. This I cannot understand.

Go ahead and call me a noob, I really have only been playing for 7 months, but I also am a blues player and don't use powerchords (I'm not sure if the 12-bar blues progression could be considered powerchords...I guess it could...). I'm mainly lead anyways, I play pentatonic minor solos, I've sounded out basic scales on my own, never had a lesson, etc, so I need people to explain this.

Here are some GOOD songs that, to my knowledge, have power chords for rhythm...

Everytime I Die - Children of Bodom
Rock You Like A Hurricane - The Scorpions
Rebel Yell - Billy Idol
Most slayer songs

Just to name a few, honestly, why does everyone stereotype power chords with noobness? Is there an alternative to them? If there is I'd gladly beging learning, I hate powerchords..

Help meh!!
When 3 power chords are used as the ONLY musical voice, thats when its noobish.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
I think it's bullshit personally. "Back Against a Wall" is a lot harder to play than "Hotel Yorba."
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
power chords are cool... in moderation
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
nothings wrong with power chords.

they generally sound good.

but when used too much, and repeditively, they start to get boring and dull.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by AssassinLoki090
When 3 power chords are used as the ONLY musical voice, thats when its noobish.

+1
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez Jump Start
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke 412 Cab
Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Weaping Demon
why does everyone stereotype power chords with noobness?

'Cuase some dumb asses learned onemetal solo and they think they're troo metalheads. Well mostly becuase they think of punk rock when they hear power chords and since punk rock is well known for its simplicity and not giving a damn for complexity that think that using power chords makes you less of a player.
Threadstarer, you're completely missing the point.

The level at which power chords become "noobish" is when they are the only method a guitarist uses to express his/her musicianship. Using power chords certainly doesn't suggest you can't do more, but limiting yourself to only power chords DOES indeed reflect a laziness on behalf of the songwriter.

Personally, in regards to the whole "simplicity is best!" notion, I've said this in a previous thread:

"I know the remark I'm about to make will probably be looked upon with disdain by most who read it, but I don't just want to write another album of simple, yet memorable songs. Does it work? Sure. I love three-chord songs as much as the next guy. But the thing is - it's been done over and over again, hundreds of thousands of times. Frankly I'm bored of the whole "keep it simple, stupid" perspective. I'm going for something extravagant, something mind-blowing, and perhaps even a little pretentious. I don't want to just be another generic musician who writes the same stuff that's been written countless times before. Rather, I aspire to write an album whose listening experience changes people's perceptions of what rock lyrics must be about and how rock music must be structured. I'd like to write an album that leaves no doubt regarding its musical creativity and quality, one that fans of any genre could at least appreciate, regardless of whether or not it matches their musical tastes. Obviously I don't have the talent to live up to such a feat, but I do want to try."
Last edited by yawn at Feb 20, 2007,
I'm not tired of Tool...

It's just one of those "oh god, you can only play power chords! noob!".
I prefer to listen to a song full of power chords instead of a shred "oh god, look at my guitar playing, it's like an extention of my penis!".
Quote by Muddy_Banks
why does everyone stereotype power chords with noobness?

'Cuase some dumb asses learned onemetal solo and they think they're troo metalheads. Well mostly becuase they think of punk rock when they hear power chords and since punk rock is well known for its simplicity and not giving a damn for complexity that think that using power chords makes you less of a player.

yes thats true, punk rock is very repetitive and simple and thats why I hate it, most all of the people who play it nowadays are complete posers.

But because of that truth, it creates a stereotype against powerchords. Its not cool, IMHO.
Quote by JDawg4098
yes thats true, punk rock is very repetitive and simple and thats why I hate it, most all of the people who play it nowadays are complete posers.

But because of that truth, it creates a stereotype against powerchords. Its not cool, IMHO.

And apparently people who know nothing about the punk genre.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

Quote by wingedgopher
And apparently people who know nothing about the punk genre.

**** you
Quote by JDawg4098
**** you

Then name five punk bands that are really that lazy with their musicianship.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Quote by Bubban

Quote by k*CMYK
"Punk is dead", or so they say...

Yeah, all those punk shows that I go to must actually be figments of my imagination
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
American Idiot = overused power chords.. I don't like that song

Everytime I Die = well used power chords, awesome song!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by wingedgopher

Dead Kennedys
Greenday
Audioslave
Fall Out Boy
Nickelback

and, if you dont count nickelback, and dont think 5 are enough..

Staind
Beatie boys
Blink 182
Bouling for Soup
All American Rejects
My Chemical Romance

once again. **** you.
Last edited by JDawg4098 at Feb 20, 2007,
^ Methinks you're gonna get a lot of sh*t for the bands you classified as punk...

I personally don't care, but a lot of people here take that kind of stuff personally.
Quote by JDawg4098
Dead Kennedys
Greenday
Audioslave
Fall Out Boy
Nickelback

and, if you dont count nickelback

Staind
or
Beatie boys
Blink 182
Bouling for Soup

once again. **** you.

was that a joke? DK were the only punk band you listed.
And on top of that East Bay Ray is a great guitarist, you're only making yourself look really ignorant right now.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by JDawg4098
Dead Kennedys
Greenday
Audioslave
Fall Out Boy
Nickelback

and, if you dont count nickelback

Staind
or
Beatie boys
Blink 182
Bouling for Soup

once again. **** you.

There's one punk band in that group and that was the Dead Kennedys. My point is proved, you don't know what you're talking about.

Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, The Clash, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Reagan Youth, Black Flag, and Cheap Sex all have guitar players that blow you out of the water (according to your Myspace page anyway).
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Quote by Bubban

Alot of Thin Lizzy songs use primarily power chords and they fR3AkiNg r0cKzoR!!!!111!!
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Quote by yeahyeah
was that a joke? DK were the only punk band you listed.
And on top of that East Bay Ray is a great guitarist, you're only making yourself look really ignorant right now.

If you really think that then w/e

I stand corrected..
Quote by wingedgopher
There's one punk band in that group and that was the Dead Kennedys. My point is proved, you don't know what you're talking about.

Circle Jerks, Bad Religion, Social Distortion, The Clash, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Reagan Youth, Black Flag, and Cheap Sex all have guitar players that blow you out of the water (according to your Myspace page anyway).

Sorry, but there are NO redeeming qualities to the guitarist of Bad Religion.

Same applies for the guitarist of Social Distortion - a sh*tload of uncreative power chords and a couple of bluesy solos.

The Clash, however, didn't just use a bunch of power chords, so they've got talent but at the same time outstage all the other power-chord-strumming "punk rockers".
Quote by wingedgopher

Richard Hell was great with Television as well and Johnny Thunders, Radio Birdman, X, and the Minutemen all have great guitar work also.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by yawn
Threadstarer, you're completely missing the point.

The level at which power chords become "noobish" is when they are the only method a guitarist uses to express his/her musicianship. Using power chords certainly doesn't suggest you can't do more, but limiting yourself to only power chords DOES indeed reflect a laziness on behalf of the songwriter.

Personally, in regards to the whole "simplicity is best!" notion, I've said this in a previous thread:

"I know the remark I'm about to make will probably be looked upon with disdain by most who read it, but I don't just want to write another album of simple, yet memorable songs. Does it work? Sure. I love three-chord songs as much as the next guy. But the thing is - it's been done over and over again, hundreds of thousands of times. Frankly I'm bored of the whole "keep it simple, stupid" perspective. I'm going for something extravagant, something mind-blowing, and perhaps even a little pretentious. I don't want to just be another generic musician who writes the same stuff that's been written countless times before. Rather, I aspire to write an album whose listening experience changes people's perceptions of what rock lyrics must be about and how rock music must be structured. I'd like to write an album that leaves no doubt regarding its musical creativity and quality, one that fans of any genre could at least appreciate, regardless of whether or not it matches their musical tastes. Obviously I don't have the talent to live up to such a feat, but I do want to try."

Dude. +1.
You have earned my respect with that rant. If it matters at all. Haha. The italicized portion is pretty much how I feel.

Quote by wingedgopher

Most punk bands stick to a I-IV-V progression, with power chords, for the most part. I think that's how he means it's a little repetitive, not in that they play the same four-on-the-floor rhythm every time.
Quote by yawn

Sorry, but there are NO redeeming qualities to the guitarist of Bad Religion.

Same applies for the guitarist of Social Distortion - a sh*tload of uncreative power chords and a couple of bluesy solos.

The Clash, however, didn't just use a bunch of power chords, so they've got talent but at the same time outstage all the other power-chord-strumming "punk rockers".

"Sorry, but there are NO redeeming qualities to the guitarist of Bad Religion."

You, sir, have never heard "I Want To Conquer the World."

"Same applies for the guitarist of Social Distortion - a sh*tload of uncreative power chords and a couple of bluesy solos."

How about "1945?"

Go ahead, try and argue.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Quote by Bubban

Quote by forsaknazrael
Dude. +1.
You have earned my respect with that rant. If it matters at all. Haha. The italicized portion is pretty much how I feel.
Well, it's nice knowing someone at least read it =D
Quote by yeahyeah
Richard Hell was great with Television as well and Johnny Thunders, Radio Birdman, X, and the Minutemen all have great guitar work also.

He was great with Televison, you're right. I think they went downhill a little bit after Tom Verlaine kicked him out of the band.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Quote by Bubban

Quote by wingedgopher
"Sorry, but there are NO redeeming qualities to the guitarist of Bad Religion."

You, sir, have never heard "I Want To Conquer the World."

"Same applies for the guitarist of Social Distortion - a sh*tload of uncreative power chords and a couple of bluesy solos."

How about "1945?"

Go ahead, try and argue.
"I Want To Conquer the World."

More power chord progressions - WHOOP DE DOO! And, wow! More soloing in one position with excessive bending of the same notes over and over again!

"1945"

The sad thing is that the SAME exact thing can be said of this song as the one above :-/

Quote by yawn
"I Want To Conquer the World."

More power chord progressions - WHOOP DE DOO! And, wow! More soloing in one position with excessive bending of the same notes over and over again!

"1945"

The sad thing is that the SAME exact thing can be said of this song as the one above :-/

Then talented guitarists don't exist. Unless you're one of these tightwads who considers anything other that Malmsteen's tuneless wanking to be below you.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Quote by Bubban

Quote by wingedgopher

Ive heard of the following...

Bad Religion: I've heard enough to know that their tone is slightly better than plugging into a cardboard box.

Social Distortion: Repetitive Power Chords. Listen to "Reach for the sky" then listen to "Cant Repeat" by the Offspring. Sound slightly similar? "Sex, Love, and Rock n Roll" Is on my desk in front of me. Unopened.

The Clash: How the HELL are you comparing Social Distortion and Bad Religion to the Clash? The clash is not even COMPARABLE to these bands, and I even consider them a completely different genre. Not to mention, their songs I Fought The Law, Train in Vain, and Should I Stay or Should I Go are ALL based around two chords. G to D. I do not see what you are trying to prove...

Leave my guitar playing skills out of it. I'm an acoustic blues player, not punk rocker. I play music that has some standard theory and history behind it.
Quote by wingedgopher
Then talented guitarists don't exist. Unless you're one of these tightwads who considers anything other that Malmsteen's tuneless wanking to be below you.

That's a bit of a overstatement.
He just means there are other interesting progressions besides I-IV-V. And a lot more interesting ways to reach them other than power chords.
Quote by JDawg4098

Bad Religion: I've heard enough to know that their tone is slightly better than plugging into a cardboard box.

Social Distortion: Repetitive Power Chords. Listen to "Reach for the sky" then listen to "Cant Repeat" by the Offspring. Sound slightly similar? "Sex, Love, and Rock n Roll" Is on my desk in front of me. Unopened.

The Clash: How the HELL are you comparing Social Distortion and Bad Religion to the Clash? The clash is not even COMPARABLE to these bands, and I even consider them a completely different genre. Not to mention, their songs I Fought The Law, Train in Vain, and Should I Stay or Should I Go are ALL based around two chords. G to D. I do not see what you are trying to prove...

Leave my guitar playing skills out of it. I'm an acoustic blues player, not punk rocker. I play music that has some standard theory and history behind it.

please listen to Television
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by wingedgopher
I hope you're not implying that power chord progressions and one-position solos with bending the same notes over and over again aren't the definitive limits of a guitarist's artistic expression. If so, that's sad.

And no, I don't listen to Malmsteen. I consider him to be just as generic as the two aforementioned guitarists.
Quote by yawn
I hope you're not implying that power chord progressions and one-position solos with bending the same notes over and over again aren't the definitive limits of of a guitarist's artistic expression. If so, that's sad.

1up
Quote by JDawg4098

You're so far gone it's not even funny.

Anyone with common sense and a little bit of knowledge of history knows that blues players rejected theory and what was normal.

And nice job doing a Google search to find all your "information."
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Quote by Bubban

Quote by yeahyeah
please listen to Television

It's so said isn't yeahyeah? They both talk so much and know so little.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar

Quote by Bubban

Quote by wingedgopher
You're so far gone it's not even funny.

Anyone with common sense and a little bit of knowledge of history knows that blues players rejected theory and what was normal.

And nice job doing a Google search to find all your "information."
*giggle*

His point of defense was them using cliché power chord progressions; what does rejection of orthodox musicianship have to do with any of this?

And there wasn't really anything he said that one would need to look on Google for...
Page 1 of 5