So I took chemistry in the summer, but I still have to take a star test late this year. I got a review sheet to work on and I'm stuck on this one question. I don't have a chemistry book so I'm totally lost. Any help (answers or explanations) is appreciated. Thanks.

If 28.7 grams of C6H10 reacts with an excess of oxygen, how many liters of Carbon Dioxide will be formed?

EDIT: only if you add the chlorium benytote²
Updates|Chat|Forums|Contests|Monkeys|Your AccountUsername:████████
Password:████████
LOGIN!
HIGHVOLTAGE45+ Join Today!

Privacy Policy|About|Contact|Advertise|Voltage Inc.©
only if you add the chlorium benytote²
EDIT: Nevermind you got it
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
1. get your moles of c6h10
2. multiply that by 6 to get your carbon moles, as they are your limitting reagant.
3. plug the result (# of moles of co2) into pv=nrt , I am assuming we must consider STP (273K, 101.something kpa (I'm not sure, we might have to use 760 mmHg, depends on which constant you use for k, it,s been a while since I've done lower level chem, just finsihed organic and am now doing biochem)
4. solve for v, which will give you your volume of co2 obtained.
5. Good luck with the rest, if you have any other queries, shoot.
If 28.7 grams of C6H10 reacts with an excess of oxygen, how many liters of Carbon Dioxide will be formed?

Ok so:

2C6H10 + 11O2 --> 6CO2 + 10H20

Find the molar mass of C6H10(82.1455) and Divide 28.7 by the molar mass. That will give you the amount of moles of C6H10 present(.343938). Since the ratio is 6 mol of CO2 per 2 mol of C6H10, that means that you multiply .343938 by 3 to get the amount of mols of CO2 that can be made(1.031814). Now that you have the mols of CO2, multiply this by 22.4 to get the vomlume of CO2, which is measured in Liters. The answer is 23.1126336. (Check this I did half of this in my head)

EDIT:
Quote by pooch0072
1. get your moles of c6h10
2. multiply that by 6 to get your carbon moles, as they are your limitting reagant.
3. plug the result (# of moles of co2) into pv=nrt , I am assuming we must consider STP (273K, 101.something kpa (I'm not sure, we might have to use 760 mmHg, depends on which constant you use for k, it,s been a while since I've done lower level chem, just finsihed organic and am now doing biochem)
4. solve for v, which will give you your volume of co2 obtained.
5. Good luck with the rest, if you have any other queries, shoot.

Thats wrong man sorry but you multiply the moles of c6h10 by 3 since 28.7 represnts the amount of 2 moles instead of one once you balance the equation. And all you have to do is multiply the amount of moles of a substance by 22.4 to get the volume in liters.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Last edited by AssassinLoki090 at Feb 20, 2007,