Page 1 of 5
While I was in The Pit, I stumbled across a thread last night. Of course ignorance reigned supreme as usual, but a question got me off guard.

"What exactly classifies a band as 'Metal?'"

Of course, any Metalhead would be able to tell you the difference between the many sub-genres, even a band they had not heard before, they'd know if the band was metal or not.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, "What makes a band metal?"
attitude.
it pisses me off when people say bands like zepplin and rhcp are metal because their music is happy.
metal bands usually have a darker edge to their music
Quote by CodeMonk
Get arrested with a hooker (a real female one, not a fake).

check out this sweet shred mayneeeee

THIS IS ME
I'm gonna have to go say guitar work and vocals. Even in hair metal you can tell it is.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
That's the thing though, bands like Boston, and Zeppelin had attitude. As did AC/DC, and many others, yet they're not considered metal, well by some.

That was to the dude who replied first... :/
I don't consider Zeppelin metal. Definatly influential, but in no way metal. And brutality as well, but then I think of bands like Motley Crue and such, not brutal but still glam. Speaking of which, why is glam metal not talked about in here, is it because it's too gay?
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

Metal i think is the distortid guitars and the vocals many sub genres have diferent chairactoristics like power metal vocals an death metal vocals. contrasting but both still metal and it is because of the over all is metal
Raise Your Hand If you Like:

3 inches of blood
Amon Amarth
Coheed and Cambria
Death Cab For Cutie
Every Time I Die
I Killed the Prom Queen
In Flames
Pride Tiger

My cousins band from Vancouver-NWOBCHM- myspace.com/scarstruckmetalband
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
I don't consider Zeppelin metal. Definatly influential, but in no way metal. And brutality as well, but then I think of bands like Motley Crue and such, not brutal but still glam. Speaking of which, why is glam metal not talked about in here, is it because it's too gay?

That would prolly be talked about in the Shred forum, they talk about 80s bands like Poison, extreme, and ratt LOL
If it sounds heavy, it's metal, or atleast has a metal aspect to it. Led Zeppelin was one of the heavier rockin bands when it came out as was acdc... therefore they were branded heavy metal. These days, theres a bunch of punk ass kids thinking that because the modern day music is heavier than it was back then, they shouldn't be considered metal. Hence all the sub-genres that make no sense at all.

I call whateva is heavy or brutal metal, and punch out anyone who trys to tell me i'm wrong by doing so. I mean really, why is it such a personal issue if you categorise a band different to anyone else? Why do people get offended if i say Trivium is metal... that's right, i went there.
Quote by IROBOTInferno
Dumbass that is a classical guitar, use nylon strings or the neck will crack... and not the kind you were smoking when you wrote this.
Quote by into the moat
metal is metal dude, tahts all there is too it. except of course doom which is lame ass metal

That may have been the dumbest thing I have read tonight . How is doom not metal? Name one reason.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Quote by CaptainOfSmug

glam/hair was the nu-metal and metalcore of the 80's
My sig is better than yours
Ohh how could I forget
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

metal is mostly metal, because it's so metal.

jeez, what are they feeding you kids these days.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Metal puts more emphasis on instruments than any other genre. You see complex guitar solos, badass drums and pretty technical bass at times. Metal's a lot harsher and darker too. Even the relatively "happy" or light songs are heavier than most of the shit out there.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
I guess you can just tell most of the time if it is "metal". There's a distinct sound, whether it be death, folk, or glam metal, that allows you to determine whether a band is metal.

Raw ore.

/thread
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all

I'm only saying yes so you won't ban me.

False love...

Just like you would love Fidel Castro so he doesn't wtfpwnkill you.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
Quote by gnr_fan_17
Metal puts more emphasis on instruments than any other genre. You see complex guitar solos, badass drums and pretty technical bass at times. Metal's a lot harsher and darker too. Even the relatively "happy" or light songs are heavier than most of the shit out there.

I can name genres that put more emphasis on instruments, Classical and jazz just for a few

Metal i dont think can be classified as a particular thing, it is what different people think it is. And all the sub genres are dumb. Anyway, metal and heavy rock have a very fine blurred line you could say. I would say Led Zep are metal, you all may not but just because they arnt as heavy as bands now days does not mean they are not metal... Its a pointless argument, it depends on your own opinion anyway...
New title.

Make Makes Metal Metal as a title, didn't make sense.
seriously, King Crimson is much creepier and heavier than most bands out there
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

zeppelin and ac/dc were considered 'metal' back in the day. Nowadays, its not. Me wonders if the same thing will happen to the older metal bands that we still call 'metal', such as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. When will they not be considered 'metal' anymore? I really see this happening.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Quote by Kepulix
seriously, King Crimson is much creepier and heavier than most bands out there

I agree, but metal is heavy in a totally different way from how King Crimson is heavy.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
What makes 'Metal' Metal?

I make 'Metal' Metal.

uhuhuhuhuhuh.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by Feel bad inc.
I can name genres that put more emphasis on instruments, Classical and jazz just for a few

Metal i dont think can be classified as a particular thing, it is what different people think it is. And all the sub genres are dumb. Anyway, metal and heavy rock have a very fine blurred line you could say. I would say Led Zep are metal, you all may not but just because they arnt as heavy as bands now days does not mean they are not metal... Its a pointless argument, it depends on your own opinion anyway...

Whoops, I meant more of the mainstream genres. Of course, jazz and classical put as much, if not more emphasis on instruments than metal.
If you are reading this, you fail at life. Go cut yourself and save yourself more misery.

Quote by Antartica.
What do you think about Opeths soft singer, do you think they need that vocalist or is that wut makes them Opeth?
Quote by Dyer's Eve
What makes 'Metal' Metal?

I make 'Metal' Metal.

uhuhuhuhuhuh.

Did you even read the title? I do. Sigh.
Quote by greety

Never heard of a threesome?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by greety

You're both deluded.

Yarlynowaiwtf.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Metal is hard to define. But, the word 'the' is much harder to define. Bands who were at the invention of the genre, like Black Sabbath, will always be considered metal. All these Necrodeathcore bands will never be considered metal, which is good, but every genre of metal is different. Nile and Sabbat sound different but all are metal. Metal is almost undefineable.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by into the moat
metal is metal dude, tahts all there is too it. except of course doom which is lame ass metal

Wow. You're quite the fool.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by into the moat

i lol at you, the metal we know today was all started by a doom metal band.
(i think he is trolling)
I think you answered it in your title...greety duhz!

That and Dyer's...and his penis...
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Page 1 of 5