I was wondering if someone could point me toward a tutorial to make a set neck. I would appreciate it.
Last edited by Peeno at Feb 21, 2007,
Bumping = bad, I know. I'm only going to do it once in an attempt to get an answer.

After 30 some odd views and being pushed to nearly 3rd page, I'm thinking that maybe I wasn't clear enough?

I don't need a tutorial to make a neck, I've found those. I just need a tutorial of how to affix the set neck to the guitar. (What kind of joint... blah blah blah). I've searched all around and can't find what I'm looking for. Maybe one of yous guys have seen something and know exactly where to look?
That does give me more of an idea. But I'm wondering if there are alternative ways to do it as well.
It would be a mortise and tenon joint, maybe a dovetail joint.

EDIT: Or a dado joint, or a bridle joint.

Whether it's a mortise and tenon, dado, or bridle joint is really subjective, depending on how you look at it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Feb 22, 2007,
From the looks of the different joints, I'm thinking that some form of bridle or dovetail would be best. Of course, I don't really know, I've had some experience with woodworking but not a whole lot. I'm going to do more research, I'll gladly look over and consider any other suggestions.
If you don't have alot of woodworking experience, then you might not want to do the dovetail.

The closest joint that most neck pockets (for bolt on and set necks) is a dado joint.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I've had experience with bolt on necks, so I know what's involved there. Most set necks are dado, then, hrmm. This is a long term project, I don't even have materials, yet. I'm just amassing knowledge right now. Thanks for the input, you've given me a lot to consider.
^^ yeah, a dovetail is really strong, but difficult to make. It uses lots of glue, which kills tone. (there is usually a space between the wood that is filled by glue with a dovetail joint)
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I guess another way to put it is that set necks are bolt on necks, but with glue instead of bolts.

This doesn't mean you should go glue your Strat's neck in the pocket. It's pretty much the same principle.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

I see. So, would a neck through design have any particular advantages or disadvantages compared to a set neck? Or is it all just personal preference.
Neck thrus don't require a heel, and are damn near impossible to replace.

Set necks usually have a heel and are able to be relaced.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says: