My band needs three new songs by tommorrow, and I've got nothing. I have a ton of guitar parts and no lyrics. And I can't think of any. So what do you uys do when you have writers block? is there anything in particular you do to get over it? thanks in advance.
i write as many single lines on a piece of paper as i can think of then put them together
or just write and dont think and see what comes out
or write down every single thought that goes through your head

maybe that helps

why do you have to write three songs by tomorrow?
Just write rambling thoughts that go through your head. Then go through those ramblings and pick out the lines you want. You come up with some awesome lines that way.
Member #23 of the Opeth Fan Club

God is dead.
Quote by nick83
why do you have to write three songs by tomorrow?

We have a gig in a couple months, but we barely have any time to practice, so we decided to each write three songs by tommorrow and get them perfected, and so then the rest of the times we practise we just rehearse what we already know.
you could just play what you have and sing whatever comes to your mind...

or do the chili-peppers trick and only sing "what you see is what you get for each song"

just some ideas...

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
thats a good idea, my band has done that before except we all just wrote one song each instead of three
you need 3 new songs by tomorrow and you have nothing. Sorry to say but your stuffed. Even if you pull 3 songs up from anywhere they will be low quality. I don't write lyrics, but i do write music so i assume writers block is similiar for both. It took me 2 months to get over my last writers block, 3 weeks the one before that. In that time i couldn't write anything any good. Everything i came up with was just a variation of something id already written. ( i play guitar btw).

Basically, your going to have to give up on getting 3 songs out because i tell you now its not going to happen. Sorry, but its the truth

EDIT:
Quote by bradshults
We have a gig in a couple months, but we barely have any time to practice, so we decided to each write three songs by tommorrow and get them perfected, and so then the rest of the times we practise we just rehearse what we already know.

that changes things a bit. If you need to get some ideas then stop thinking about it. Go for a walk, listen to some of your favourite music, watch a dvd. Anything to get your mind off it. When i had writers block for the 2 months, i got over it when i went for a huge walk into town. I watched the cars move, the people walk and talk and the i heard In this River by Black Label Society for the first timewhen it came over my mp3 player. Once i got home i started writing again and ive only got better.
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
Last edited by Aussie Ghost at Feb 21, 2007,
yeah, I agree with whoever posted it's not gonna happen. At least it's not like you have a gig tomorrow and have to have the three songs I would say dip into that deep intellectual part of your brain and write whats on your mind lately. Then grab the good ol' thesarus and modify to seem like you know what your talking about.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
you can't put a deadline on creativity. music never sounds right when you just randomly throw shit together just to make a song. well sometimes it does but you're still screwed. btw why the hell is this in the pit?
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
Three songs in one day?

Dude, have you no musical integrity? Try spending two weeks perfecting one excellent song, rather than "going through the motions" to churn out three poorly-constructed songs.
i'd go along the lines of everyday things. write things about feelings, emotions, things that have happened, just un-bottle any problems that you have in your life and put them into rhymes then add some hard-core, kick-@$$ heavy metal $#!t, etc. or if ya really desperate make up a new nursery rhyme or something. good luck.
Last edited by GodOfRock1 at Feb 21, 2007,
well its easy

i dont know what kinda band you are but this should help

black metal-anything about how much you love satan

emo/pop-punk-anything about cutting or how bad your life sucks

nu metal-about how life sucks

power metal-write about world of warcraft
I like to chew on gum
I like to colour paint
I'd like to feel your arm
I like SHREDDED WHEAT!!!!!
hoimhi0et0hm03oi