Hey UGers,

Looking for a new amp, maybe new pickups. Currently play a Schecter C-1. I've tried out a bunch of amps, and I just can't find what I'm looking for. I play hard rock, punk and hardcore, but I really don't like the thick, saturated, heavy gain sound that a lot of people go for these days.

I'm really wanting to buy a new amp, got around £800 to spend. I'm looking for something that's not too gainy, particularly with not too much preamp gain so it doesn't sound saturated, but that I can really push from the front end. I like it to sound really aggressive and harsh, but sound big and thick, I usually use some reverb too. Lots of low mid snarl.

For examples, I'm kinda stuck. Although I'm not really a fan of Blink-182, the tone on the newest album is I suppose near what I'm after - the gain is really low, but it's pushed and cranked and it sounds really aggressive, and there's lots of sustain and resonance and reverb, so that palm-muted chords have loads of crunch and snarl. Good cleans are fairly necessary to me too.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
Marshall or Orange maybe? Or Laney. Although I'm not too familiar with the Blink sound.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Orange Rocker 30
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Yeah actually I was looking at DSL-50, JCM-800, Rocker 30, and GH50L... Any of those sound good?
Sounds like you want a Marshall or a Vox AC30.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Hadn't thought about a Vox... do they do distortion well? Would I need an OD? What Marshall would you recommend too? Thanks so far guys...
A JCM800 sounds good for what you want. Try out loads of amps and see what you like best.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
That's what I'm planning to do. I tried out a DSL and a GH a few years ago but hardly remember. Need to try the Rocker and the Vox... JCM-800s are hard to come by to test though...
The Rocker 30 sounds like it could do you well, its supposidly quite a dark amp, and can get that harsher OD if you push the tubes enough (or with an OD pedal) and its EQ'd correctly
Cool cool. Thanks man I shall try and check it out...

Does anyone have any more opinions on the Vox idea?

Is the JCM-800 the best Marshall for me to try? Thanks
Vox + some sort of booster would work nicely I imagine. You'd probably have to crank the Vox a fair bit though. There's a guy on these forums that plays punk/pop kinda stuff, not exactly what you play, but I think you both have similar kind of tone preferences. I can't think of his name, but he has a Gibson Les Paul Studio, a Vox AC30 and a Boss BD-2 to drive it more.

He may post it here, but if not, I'll try and remember his name.
- Gibson Les Paul Studio
- Squier Standard Strat
- Roland Cube 60
- Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde
- Boss OD-3
- Behringer EQ700
Quote by cam_rock
Hadn't thought about a Vox... do they do distortion well? Would I need an OD? What Marshall would you recommend too? Thanks so far guys...

Listen to Brian May, though keep in mind he pushed his amp really far (volume on 10, then his pickups were wired in series and he had a treble booster), but that's what they can do.

Marshalls: in terms of modern day, I wouldn't look at anything other than the DSL. If you're looking for a reissue, may aswell go for the real thing, in which case you'd be looking at a Plexi or JCM800 (I'd easily go for the plexi if it weren't for the rarity).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
As others said, you might want to look into the orange or marshall or vox range of tube amps.

Marshall and orange are highly known for the big crunch and alot of mids they give out, so t hat will be perfect for your rock needs. On the other hand, the vox ac30 has some amazing cleans, so I've heard...and if you push it hard enough, you can get a nice over drive sound!

Try em' out man.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^Dude..... you're gay for Orange...

Tom records with a 3-amp setup....a Mesa Dual Recto...... a Dumble (didn't stated which model)........ and a Matchless (no model either)......

Records them, and then mixes them.......

Even though I hate their music.... they DO HAVE GREAT tone. !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!