Hopefully I'm posting it in the right forum this time.

I was initially going after a Mexican Fender Strat, but one retailer was offering a Ibanez SZ plus a 15w Peavey Amp for Aus$1000 (~US$800). He was selling it based on the quality of the build and versatility of the guitar, saying that if I'm going for a Fender, go for the proper US ones later down the track.

What I wanted to know is whether this guitar would be suited for rock/blues type of music that I'm more into (i.e. Clapton, Hendrix), but I dont mind err lighter mainstreamy rock such as Guns n Roses and Aerosmith. I've noticed that a lot of Ibanez guitarists are the more harder rock or heavy metal which I don't really care for. So I'm wondering whether this guitar would be suited to me. Being able to pull off a good acoustic sound would be an added bonus since I'm getting this to replace an old classic acoustic.

Any opinion on this? There are a fair amount of very favourable reviews of the SZ series, but the reviewers appear to favour heavier rock.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by Milest0ne at Feb 21, 2007,
id personally go for the strat, seems alot more suited to your music. Ive played one and found with the right amp you could get a bluesy sound to it although i think it definately favours more of harder rock sound.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
i have an ibanez, and i can get a shitload of sounds out of it, i play anything from hendrix to ozzy and right on to some accoustic shit. in fact last week my band and i played Highway to Hell, then went to Seagull by bad company right after. so i guess it all depends on the effects that ur using
Cheers, thanks for the opinions.

To be honest, I don't think I have a good enough ear to pick up the differences at the moment and what would suit what, which is why I need other people's opinions than my own. I did notice that the SZ did appear to have a warmer tone compared to the Strat. I would prefer it if my guitar could play a good clean tone. But yea, it's mainly so I don't have to buy another guitar down the track for music that suits my taste when I do get the better ear with practice.

Seems a bit harder to compare them as well, as not many retailers seem to stock Ibanez down under.
I own the SZ520FM model. It's rather Paulish in sound, but it feels a lot more comfortable.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
it really doesnt matter what brand a guitar is, and most of a metal tone would come from your amp or pedal board for all you pedal users, an SZ is actually a quite versitle insturment, all mahogany, 22 fret, ibz/duncan P/Us, i dont love them but for stock they dont sound horrible, i actually like the SZs
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
I play a lot of RHCP on my SZ; I would prefer a strat for that particular sound, but when I want to switch to something heavier my SZ comes in quite nicely.
Thanks for the info and opinion guys, much appreciated.

The amp I'm getting is a 15W Peavey. Going by how I remember it looks, I think it's this one -
and I just checked, the guitar is SZ520 series and new, so ~$800 for both. That sound like a good deal? The amp appears to be getting mixed opinions so I'm wondering whether there's a better amp that he could do in that price range, though honestly I was only going for the Roland Micro Cube at first.

I have to admit the finish is quite nice and smooth, albeit I think the body looks a bit plain without the pickguard. Only issue I thought may come up would be sliding up and down the neck in hotter weather, since the finish seems to be a bit more sticky than say plain maple.

Bloody hard trying to decide what to get for a first (and maybe even last, as I'm only a casual player) guitar :P
Last edited by Milest0ne at Feb 21, 2007,