I love my tele, but my hand cramps up pretty badly when doing any kind of chord work, even if its only for a few minutes.

Is this something I should play through? will my hand strengthen? Because Ive never had this problem with any of my other guitars (Epi sheraton etc) and I really dont want to lose my tele.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
you could try playing it higher and losing a bit of your image. but it's better to look bad than sound bad.
Quote by oyster
you could try playing it higher and losing a bit of your image. but it's better to look bad than sound bad.

I play high anyway, and this happens when I sit down as much as when I stand, So its not strap height.
Position of your wrist ? Move it forward, more in front . Should work ... and stop complaining man, you're playing a Tele !
You could always try heavier strings, or try open chords if you are playing barre chords.

If this doesn't work, get one of those gripmasters and use it for about 20mins twice a day. After a few weeks you should notice a BIG difference.

Hope this helps.

Thats were the pain is, so its less of a hand cramp and more of a thumb muscle thing.

Quote by gallagher2006
You could always try heavier strings, or try open chords if you are playing barre chords.

If this doesn't work, get one of those gripmasters and use it for about 20mins twice a day. After a few weeks you should notice a BIG difference.

Hope this helps.

Im not going to stop playing barre chords, but I'll try the gripmaster out
Quote by 69 Tele
Try Advil (not kidding)!

Doesn't really solve the problem, just hides it
i find sitting with a classical position (left hand fretting with the guitar on the left knee) takes pressure from my hand due to the difference in poistioning, also because your body twists less its better for your back when you're sitting
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
practice, practice, practise maybe and keep your thumb low when your doing chords and shit...
My Gear:
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Marshall MG series 250 DFX
Make sure your not using 60's fingering.
Quote by Hellish_Wolf
I can see it now, in a year we will have kids walking up to girls "Hey baby, my career score on guitar hero is over 3 mill, ooooooh yeeah"

IS THAT SYRUP IN YOUR PANTS OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE ME??!!
sounds like hand strength, when you build up some muscle endurance it should fade.
My gear

Gibson Les Paul Standard Double Cut
Fender MIM Strat w/ Texas Specials
Marshall JCM 2000 - DSL 401
Fender FM25 DSP
Dunlop Original Cry-Baby
Boss DS-1

Cheap Fender Acoustic
I have the same problem with my tele. I find that when that happens, it helps to just take a break for a little while (30 secs-ish). It may be a neck shape thing, mine is a C shape, I don't know about yours. Maybe getting a new different shaped neck would help if you can't get over the problem.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
my wrist and that meaty part of my thumb gets sore when i play thin necks like ibanez and jackson. i remembered one time i played my friend's ibanez RG and the soreness lasted for a day
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
That's exactly where my pain is...Do we have carpel tunnel or something?

Also, I"ve noticed that anchoring ensures you to have that sort of pain. I tried to anchor for one day to see if would help me in any way, but it just hurt in my the process.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Friedmaniac
It may be a neck shape thing, mine is a C shape, I don't know about yours. Maybe getting a new different shaped neck would help if you can't get over the problem.

Thats what I think it may be, i hope it isnt though

Quote by Jinskee
That's exactly where my pain is...Do we have carpel tunnel or something?

No I dont, luckily

Ive been playing 4 years so I always thought my hand strength was pretty good.