Well, I've decided to play guitar again. I didn't get very far when I first started. The only thing I was able to play was that riff that goes something like:

|---------------
|------------------
|-0-3-5-0-3-6-5
|-0-3-5-0-3-6-5
|------------------
|------------------

Anyway, I then tried bass and I liked it but now I want to start guitar again. I still have my old crappy electric guitar but don't know where to start. I've tried playing songs with power chords and don't have much luck, my fingers are always in the wrong spot and I'm hitting all the strings, can't control which ones I'm hitting. And I suck at playing whilst standing up. SO, what should I learn, like to start off with?

Thanks
Well, seeing as you can already do Smoke On The Water, I'd recommend Black Sabbath's Iron Man, or 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes. Then there's Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness, and more or less anything by The Ramones. These are all the sort of things I learned first on guitar, but I'd already had experience playing bass as well.
The very basics after you learn about rythem.

A few open chords.

-0--0--3--2--
-0--2--0--3--
-0--2--0--2--
-2--2--0--0--
-2--0--2------
-0-----3-------

Practise these. Should help stretch out your fingers a bit more, and get your finger tips working fine. Then, try playing these in a 4/4 beat. Soon as you got that perfect, and it sounds perfect, try moving from chord to chord.

Tips of interest:

Use your strumming hand to fix your fretting hand in the right place.

If you find any clangs, play each string string by string to find which one is clanging. Locate the problem, adjust with your strumming hand, try again.

Always rest your fingers after you feel strain for a little while. Shake it all of, come back to it.

When practising chord changes, fret the chord, don't strum, take off your fretting hand, shake it, try to put it back. This will bring in finger memory of going straight to that chord. Practise this before changing chords.

Make sure your strumming correctly, make sure all strings are being hit. Sweep, don't hit. Brush along them.

The chord names from left to right are E minor, A Major, G major, D major.

After this, post back on here, ask for a simple open chord progression tab.

After all of that, try moving onto Scales and the theory behind it (go simple simple) and try to learn why scales are helpful, or try barre chords.

Also, after this, I think you'll find chord progression for power chords easier. Learn the chord shape first using the methods I told you, then try learning something.

From there, learn hammer ons/pull offs, palm mutes, and any other techique you approach on a tab with you are unfamilar with.
Last edited by Craigo at Feb 21, 2007,
Well, you've started with Smoke on the Water, which is still the first thing you have to learn legally in many countries.

Start right at the beginning - learn the basic open chords and the major scale and read up a little on the theory, nothing complicated, just the basic principles of how to form chords from the notes of the scale. It's relatively simple stuff, but you won't believe how much of a help it is to actually understand what you're playing, as opposed to it just being random numbers in a tab.

Learn loads of songs that you know, but don't go for tabs just yet, just learn them from the chord sheets....you may have to dig out a few older songs for that. What that will do is loosen up the right hand from all that strumming and get you used to loads of different rhythm patterns. Vary your strumming too - try picking specific bits of the chord, or arpeggiating them....that'll improve your accuracy in terms of hitting the right strings.

For your left hand it'll build strength and also help loosen it up and get you used to changing chords and generally using the fretboard - when you fell comfortable and competent with that learn barre chords and also use them to help you identify the notes on the fretboard....by this point you should have the basics down, so just find some tabs of songs you like and check for any more advanced techniques you may need to learn to play them fully.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TJ1991
Well, seeing as you can already do Smoke On The Water, I'd recommend Black Sabbath's Iron Man, or 7 Nation Army by the White Stripes. Then there's Chasing Cars by Snow Patrol, I Believe in a Thing Called Love by The Darkness, and more or less anything by The Ramones. These are all the sort of things I learned first on guitar, but I'd already had experience playing bass as well.

Sorry mate, but he wouldn't need to know this.

There's already a first song thread.