Well ive been playing bass for quite a while now (over 2 years), and i never really learnt scales, i feel like learning them now though. But there are like 100's i want to know which ones are most effective?

Thanks.
^ work through my scales lesson at the top of the forum page..

should help lots, feel free with Q's...
Quote by Applehead
^ work through my scales lesson at the top of the forum page..

should help lots, feel free with Q's...

I agree with Applehead. Learn the modes, your pentatonics and your blues scales. They form the foundation for almost 95% of modern music, and will help you understand and learn the related items such as intervals, chord construction (half diminished is based on Lydian, Minor 7th on Dorian etc) and so much more.

The other scales can come later, and will make more sense musically if you lay your foundations with the basic scales in this month's lesson.
Are you kidding? All of them are extremely vital to bass mastery and theory, but in opinion, the major scales are used most often and the blues penatonic scales are used even more often than the major scales and sound the coolest. Peace Out.
:stickpoke ~Rubricante
D minor.

Almost all good songs are in D minor.

But learn D first, because its easier, and learn major scales. It will realy help theory wise and also for improv and jamming.
The.
Almost all good songs are in D minor.

Funniest thing i've ever heard!! Even if it is true very random.

Don't think about learning scales, on guitars you're learning scale shapes, because once you learn one you can shift it all around. Also just as important is understanding what makes a major, minor scale etc.

After that it gets easier to know what an augmented 7th etc is and then ur flying!
Learn major and minor because they are the two most important and that is where the penatonics come from. If you know major and minor than learning your modes is really simple
You don't NEED them, but they sure as hell help and let you improv well.

Aeolian (natural/perfect minor), Ionian (major), Dorian, Phrygian, Phrygian dominant, Pentatonic minor, and the Pentatonic minor blues (added flat fifth) are all useful and common.

Learn your minor pentatonic/blues minor pentatonic, Ionian, and aeolian first.

www.cyberfret.com