When playing for example a barre chord and sweep picking my strings make this annoying buzzing sound. playing a note on an individual string is fine but as soon as i try to play more than 1 at once it gives this nasty feedback/buzzing/ringing sound. Its driving me nuts so please help!!. The strings are all new, the amp and effects are fine so whats the problem. Any help would be great

Cheers all
Its an Ibanez RG something (cant remember exactly - im at work at the moment!). Nothing particularly special. I havent touched the action at all, im thinking it could be something to do with the pickups maybe. It does tend to happen on all frets and is worse the higher i go. As I said when i play a note anywhere on the fretboard its fine but if i try and play 2 strings at a time it does it, consequently, the only way I can get round it at the moment is to try and play strings indivisually, not the easiest thing to do sometimes when picking. e.g. e------12---------12
B----------14----------14 etc i couldnt just fret both notes an alternate picking i would have to lift each finger off each time if you get what im meaning!

Apologies for the long ramble but it really is driving me nuts!!

Thanks
How long have you been playing electric guitar? Did you play a classical/accoustic guitar before you began on an electric?
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Well, when you strum a chord, it's usually harder than when you pick. Your action might be too low.
There's a couple of different ways to counter the problem, dpending on what it is. It's hard for me to tell. I personally don't know how to raise the action from the bridge on an RG, never played one. It might be that your neck is a bit bowed. Check that it's straight.

Alternatively, you can bring it into a shop and have them set it up for you, they'll be able to fix it.
I don't know if anyone else is interpreting this as I am and stop me if I'm wrong threadstarter, but it doesn't sound like an issue with the guitar.

It sounds like you're trying to play individual notes similar to how you might play them on an accoustic/clean electric, except with overdrive/distortion, and expecting the sustain to diminish similar to how it would in the aforementioned configurations.

Due to the clipping characteristics of the signal when overdrive is present, if you try to play arpeggios buy just fretting the chord and plucking the strings, it's going to sound terrible. You need to mute the strings when switching in order to avoid feedback from still vibrating strings.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
It's either
1. your pickups are really cheap (Stock Stratocaster)
2. your grounding wires in are loose
3. your selector switch is interfering with the other electronics in the guitar
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

In response to a few things, I have been playing guitar for about 6-7 years now, a mixture of electric and acoustic (havent made up my mind yet which i prefer!!). Im tending to agree with Bazilisck311 so far but the problem with this is it seems to happen with any degree of effect, not just overdrive/distortion or whatever.

Again from Bazlisck "You need to mute the strings when switching in order to avoid feedback from still vibrating strings". This works when picking as its something I have been trying myself to combat the problem but when Playing 2 strings at the same time, e.g playing the B & e strings at a certain fret together still produces "the noise".

I think the fact that the guitar/pickups etc are fairly cheap (im an impoverised student) must have an impact but other than that....

Just for a bit more of an explanation, I play with effects similar to those used by John Frusciante of RHCP so not much distortion etc and more of a clean, crisp tone but this still causes "the noise" Will try raising the action and I especially like the lazy suggestion of taking it to a shop and getting them to fix it - this really appeals to me!!!!

Any further suggestiosn welcome though!
#
Cheers all
Can you record a sample of this noise and post it?
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
forsaknazrael - Will definately check out the website - thanks.

Bazilisck311 - will post a sample tomorrow if i can, as i said, poor so limited equipment but im a bit of a geek so sure i can work it some how!!!

Thanks for your help guys, until tomorrow........