I've recently begun playing electric guitar (3 months now, i believe), up from playing acoustic really badly, and in the change i got use of frets 15-23, something i'd never had before (not that it mattered, with my lack of skill)

Due to my large, blunt fingers (not those nice spindly ones which seem good for fine movements), i've always had problems fretting the same fret on two or three strings without barring it, and i've started encountering problems when attempting to use frets 15-23, i can usually pull it off yet it requires a lot of trouble on my part making sure i get the right fret and the right string, without muting the others, my speed is sorely diminished and hands easily tire.

Of course i also get the usual newbie problems of fingers getting in the way, but that's on top of the problem of running out of space on the fretboard.

Now, to those of you who share my misfortune (if there are any of you), do you have any tips for overcoming the problem? or should i just find a more suitable instrument? =P (not that i would)
Well, I have little girl hands so I don't share your pain.

Maybe you should go try out different guitars in store.
A bigger flatter fingerboard, different neck profiles maybe a U, longer scale etc. are all factors which could help.
hey

i have rather large fingers and shared your problem at the start, and still do to a certain extent, your type of guitar does make a difference to how easy it is to get to the higher frets, gibsons are harder, and strat types are easier due to the the cutaways, so if u dont have a strat type guitar u may want to go to a guitar shop and try one to see if u find it eaiser to get to the higher frets.

secondly may i recomend learning scales, personally after a year and a half i have only just started learning scales, but i have to say i have found they help u get used to moving fingers independantly and help stop them getting in each others way, having said that u said u played acoustic so i am guessing ur not a complete newbie, but check out some scales, try googling it

if not just keep practising, i promise you it will come !

Mike.
any fingers can play any instrument (...except like....missing ones....). Tbh its probably more the fact that your new at it than your fingers being too big. Just keep practicing and you'll get there, theres loads of fat guys that can shred like a demon (not that im saying ure fat, its just they have fat fingers too)
Quote by crzywhiteboy
Get a guitar with XJ frets

Aren't jumbo frets actually referring to the size of the fretwire?
I'm not sure how that would help...
Quote by Atreideslegend
any fingers can play any instrument (...except like....missing ones....). Tbh its probably more the fact that your new at it than your fingers being too big. Just keep practicing and you'll get there, theres loads of fat guys that can shred like a demon (not that im saying ure fat, its just they have fat fingers too)

shawn lane is a good example hehe.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
I got pretty big fingers as well, and they are used to a bass guitar so complicates things further For me it's working to just practise scales alot and and taking your time to figure out the best position to place your fingers in, and then slowly learn by grabbing the chord over and over
Make cupcakes, not war

Member #27 of the Electroharmonix users guild
SRV had quite fat fingers from what ive heard, and he used a thicker neck than regular strats, so you should just check out different guitars and their necks, maybe you will find one that suits you perfectly!
Quote by JvL
Although he has big, short fingers he can play pretty good!...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f9imuLRcCEI

He's also legally blind, I think.

TS, I've got big gorilla hands, myself. With practice, it's not really an issue. Try holding a tennis ball with your fingertips, and try and close your fist, so that way your fingertips are the only thing in contact with the ball. Prime finger placement is important in hittting the right notes, and making sure they ring out nicely.
Hmmm, Just say i had an arpeggio like (even worse when it's higher)

E |---12---------------12----------------
B |------13---------13-------------------
G |---------14---14----------------------
D |------------14----------------------

i'm really having trouble fitting all my fingers on the fretboard. Am i meant to just learn how to move fast enough to fret each note individually (not finger a chord and sweep)?
Quote by rampeh
Hmmm, Just say i had an arpeggio like (even worse when it's higher)

E |---12---------------12----------------
B |------13---------13-------------------
G |---------14---14----------------------
D |------------14----------------------

i'm really having trouble fitting all my fingers on the fretboard. Am i meant to just learn how to move fast enough to fret each note individually (not finger a chord and sweep)?

The tab you posted should just be a 12th fret bar, then an Aminor shape on top of it. Just tried it and took a picture. It is an awkward squeeze, you can see in the pic that my ring finger is actually touching the 13th fret, but I can still get it to ring out cleanly. The positioning of your thumb and the angle of your arm and wrist make a big difference. Try getting the back of your thumbjoint on the centerline of the neck, and pulling your arm closer towards your body. Keep the thumb under the area that you're fretting, don't let it trail back towards the headstock.

Damn, these cameras are a good tool, my technique looks really sloppy when you zoom right in on it like that, (that chord doesn't buzz though).

Edit - You can also see the damage to my skin from working with dangerous chemicals lol. Check the chemical burn scars between the fingers.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Feb 22, 2007,