Hi, i didn't get all the info i was looking for in my other thread so i thought i'd try again. Basically i am looking for a new bridge pickup o my RG321mh, on quite a tight budget, £40. I'm finding the stock infinitys are a bit too muddy, and lack the punch i'm looking for. The pickup will usually be used for distorted rhythm and lead playing, but i would also like it to be firly decent with clean tones also. The bands i'm interested in are bands like Alter Bridge, creed, Staind and modern rock kind of things, though i do occasionally play some metal. Also i'd like the pickup to be 4 conductor so that i can keep the same switching options that i currently have.

I play through a cube 60, and my other guitar has a SD JB in it, which i like, but i dont really want to pay that much for a pickup this time.

Pickups i'm considering are:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GUITAR-HUMBUCKER-PICKUP-CLOSED-WPU10_W0QQitemZ270090178790QQihZ017QQcategoryZ22670QQcmdZViewItem

&

http://store.guitarfetish.com/crpafhublbrp.html

I don't know much about either of these so would like some info if anyone knows anything about either, and would like to hear of any other decent pickups in my price range.

Thanks in advance
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Go to guitarfetish.com they have what you want. guitarfetish are great. I bought their closeout set, and it was a fantastic investment. get them.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
The kent armstrong pickups is going to sound even more muddy that the pickup you already have.

Either you need to get a pickups with a lower output, or you need a ceramic or neo magnet. Cermaic an neo magnets don't sound good clean. Neomagnets have tones of twang when they are clean and sound almost funk.

Something you could try is taking the magnet out of your bridge and putting it in your neck. This will worm up your neck pickups add it will sound almost acoustic when clean. Then put 3 neomagnets in the bridge pickup. The magnets need to all face the right direction and the magnetic pull has to face the right way as well. If you can get a gauss meter I can tell you how to do it yourself. Otherwise I could hook you up with a kit. This will imporve the overall playability more than swapping 1 pickup, and it will cost you a lot less too.
Not taking any online orders.
^^ I told him the same thing about the Ken Amrtstrong pickups in his last thread. He didn't really take it to heart...Meh.

I don't see the point of this new thread, you got a good recommendation if you were to get pickups from Seymour Duncan, and you found a set you like at Guitar Fetish. Can't go wrong either way.
GFS pickups, Golden Age pickups,

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
^^I appreciate your comments, it's just your opinion was virtually the only one i got in the other thread, and i was hopeing for a better response, also i thought i read somewhere that you didn't play any metal, so i was looking for someone with experience.

Anyway, what are things to look out for in a good pickup? i.e why are some pickups muddy, the only thing i ever really know to look for is the magnet type and resistance.

Thanks again
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22

High output mixed with cermic is generally going to be a muddy pickup. Ceramics don't have as good cleans as Alnico magnets...

Yeah, I don't play metal, but I know how metal sounds, and I can play heavy stuff, it's just that style wise, hard rock is as far as I go. Oh, and just going by resistance isn't really indicative of anything tone-wise, really, when you're looking for a pickup, other than maybe output - which isn't really a big deal. A high output pickup doesn't necessarily make your guitar louder.
A good pickup is whatever you want from a pickup. There are a lot of things that change the overall tone. Some rules of thumb when shopping are.

Typically higher DCR means more muddy.
The closer the wire is to the magnet the brighter it will be
The higher the inductance the darker the pickup will be
The taller the pickup the brighter it will be
The stronger the magnet the brighter it will be.
The more irion in the pickup the grittier the pickup will be
Poles are darker and gritty
Slugs are brighter
Alnico usually means warmer thicker tone. When you have high gain it can sometimes sound muddy and lacking in high end. Typically Alnico sounds like it's higher output than ceramic because alnico boosts the mids which your ear picks up better
Ceramic magnets tend to sound thin when clean, but fill out much better with high distortion.
Things like metal bassplates and metal pickup covers make the pickup darker.

The list goes on and on and on. The best thing to do is try and get sound clips, and try to find people that have them that will let you play their guitar.
Not taking any online orders.
^Wow, thanks very much, that's very helpful.
Quote by Lukeisonfire

Quote by evilbeaver22