Hey guys. I am wanting to find a good acoustic guitar that frets as easy as possible and has good sound. I have "tinkered" with guitar my whole life I guess. I started taking lessons around the age of 6 and stuck with it for a year or so. I then put it down for a long time and picked it back up a little in college and quit again. Recently, I got on the "kick" again and bought an electric that I have been enjoying and learning a great deal on. I really enjoy the electric for the ease of fretting and play, but I also feel like it is pretty pointless for a "bedroom" guitar player to have to drag out all of this equipment to play the guitar for a while. I have found that while I like the crunch and metal sounds of an electric, I really prefer to play music & songs that sound better on an acoustic guitar. I completely understand that acoustics by nature require more hand strength and force to make chords sound best, but I also know that all guitars aren't created equal and that some just naturally fret and sound better than others. What I am probably going to do is sell my electric rig to fund the new acoustic purchase. I would like to spend between $500-1000 on the acoustic and would love some recommendations on what guitars would fit serve my needs best. Keep in mind, this guitar is not for performing, I play pretty much for my own enjoyment (and my wife and daughters on occassion) and that is it. Rarely do I play with anyone else so I really don't need to cream of the crop (which I know my price range probably want buy anyway). Thanks for you help and suggestions.

One more thing, I would prefer a thinner neck since I have small hands. I really love the Ibanez prestige necks for those of you that have played any of their electric guitars. Thanks
Last edited by whitlecj at Feb 21, 2007,
I've only heard good things about Takamines and Corts. I think I might get a Takamine soon, and I've played some in shops. They're great, so yeah. If I were you I'd try some out, there's no better way to see if it's what you want.
Ovation would be good, as they have bowl backed bodies and are cutaway (can reach all the higher frets without having 10" fingers). My friend has an electro-acoustic Tanglewood and it felt perfect to play. Can't remember the exact model, but consider Tanglewood electro-acoustics.
You can get a very nice acoustic for $1000. Since you won't be performing, you do not need an acoustic electric, and for that reason, I would probably steer clear of Takamine, Cort, and Ovation. Personally, I would look at The Alvarez MD series, The Taylor 200 series, the Martin D15, and Breedlove. With the exception of the breedlove guitars in this range, all of these will have all solid woods. They all sound great, and all of them will come set-up with good action.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
^^A $1000 guitar doesn't have solid woods?? That's a joke. I hear that Parkwoods are decent for the price, although personally I would just go to the guitar shop and try a bunch of different guitars in your price range.
Thanks for the recommendations. I am trying to find a Taylor 200 or 300 series and a Martin D15 to tryout locally, with no luck. Would one of these be better than the other? Are the necks similar on the two or is one slimmer than the other?
oo i tried both and would say that the Taylor 300 kills the D15
I'm tellin' ya - these Guilds are a heck of a guitar in this range:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guild-GAD30-Auditorium-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=513141

I played one like this with this auditorium shape at Sam Ash and was very impressed for the price - all solid construction, nice appointments, a very comfortable neck and nice tone out of the auditorium body. I would have bought one had a nice gift not arrived on my birthday...

I'm surprised that I don't hear more (any) mention of these...
Quote by which ones pink
^^A $1000 guitar doesn't have solid woods?? That's a joke. I hear that Parkwoods are decent for the price, although personally I would just go to the guitar shop and try a bunch of different guitars in your price range.

Not so much...the Breedlove in question is the AD25, its a great guitar. It has a solid top and back, but the sides are laminate. They don't contribute much to the overall sound, and some would argue that the laminate sides makes for a more stable instrument.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Cort is a bit so-so. My friends Cort plays fabulously whereas another mates one is hopeless. Intonation is out, neck is slow, impossible action. Just play it before you buy it.

D15's are very nice.
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster