I have an old Fender bassman stack, about thirty years old. There's two bass inputs and two guitar inputs, but I'm not sure if you can play guitar and bass at the same time. Is this possible? Will it affect the sound?
You probably can, but that's not what the amp's made for, it's made to take one or the other, not really both.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Jaguarman
Thanks alot guys. This website freakin pwns

ahahaa its been a year and u just starting raving about the site...
Let me pull up a schem...

Yeah, you can have a bass and a guitar plugged in at the same time. The old blackface Bassmans (circa '64-'67) have separate preamps for bass and guitar. You may end up getting power amp saturation sooner, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Don't plug in two guitars or two basses though. It isn't made to handle that.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Please explain, following your study of the schematic, why it couldn't handle two guitars or basses?

If you mean it's bad enough using both channels at the same time and using both inputs to the same channel would be worse, I'll agree with you. The little resistor network on the jacks won't do much to mix two instruments plugged into the same channel.

There is nothing much wrong with plugging a guitar into the bass channel or plugging a bass into the normal channel. Or plugging either into each at the same time.
Quote by Ronsonic
Please explain, following your study of the schematic, why it couldn't handle two guitars or basses?

If you mean it's bad enough using both channels at the same time and using both inputs to the same channel would be worse, I'll agree with you. The little resistor network on the jacks won't do much to mix two instruments plugged into the same channel.

There is nothing much wrong with plugging a guitar into the bass channel or plugging a bass into the normal channel. Or plugging either into each at the same time.

Uh...that's what I mean. Don't plug two guitars into the guitar channel or two basses into the bass channel.

There's nothing stopping you from plugging one instrument into each channel. The bass has its own preamp as does the guitar. That means they can both be used at the same time. However, input 1 on the bass preamp does not have a separate preamp from input 2 on the bass preamp, therefore they cannot be used at the same time.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
You can use all the inputs at once if you want. Works fine.
The two inputs aren't mixed as Ron said. They're meant for different level inputs.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.