I am in a pretty big predicament right now, ill lay it out

1. Im in a band
2. MY 30w crate amp doesnt compete with a drumset and marshall halfstack
3. i dont really have any money

I noticed on the amp, there is a "ext. speaker" jack.. could I just plug my amp into a cab, and it be louder? or would that not work, i have no idea, as ive never dealt with cabinets before

why im asking is, i could probably find a used cab for cheap... seeing as money is a big issue

hope this made some sense

thanks!
Last edited by vivalasoad883 at Feb 21, 2007,
no it wont make it louder because you're just putting your 30 watts through some 4x12 speakers (or whatever size cab you were to get). It would sound a little bit louder because you are dispersing the sound more but it wont be much, possibly not even noticable.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
no it wont make it louder because you're just putting your 30 watts through some 4x12 speakers (or whatever size cab you were to get). It would sound a little bit louder because you are dispersing the sound more but it wont be much, possibly not even noticable.

This is inaccurate.

Not all speakers put out the same decibels per watt. Some speakers are more, or a lot more efficient than others.

Tell us exactly what amp and what speakers you are currently using.

Eventually, have you considered using a booster pedal ?
Quote by ColdGin
This is inaccurate.

Not all speakers put out the same decibels per watt. Some speakers are more, or a lot more efficient than others.

Tell us exactly what amp and what speakers you are currently using.

Eventually, have you considered using a booster pedal ?

Really? cool well i never knew that- i just thought you're putting the same amount of power through some slightly bigger speakers so therefore it will be more or less the same volume?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Really? cool well i never knew that- i just thought you're putting the same amount of power through some slightly bigger speakers so therefore it will be more or less the same volume?

everything else being equal, doubling the amount of speakers gives a +3dB increase in SPL. However, like was mentioned, speaker efficiency plays a large factor if you are talking different speakers.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by vivalasoad883

2. MY 30w crate amp doesnt compete with a drumset and marshall halfstack
I noticed on the amp, there is a "ext. speaker" jack..
why im asking is, i could probably find a used cab for cheap... seeing as money is a big issue

um, its a crate gfx 30
with just a crate 12" speaker

Uggghh ! That crate speaker is a real horse ass. And it's a 4 ohms.
And you ain't going to get much more mileage out of those 30 wimpy solid state watts. Forget using an additional cab. The amp really doesn't put out enough power to drive 2 speakers.

Hear's the cheap deal, provided you have someone who knows how to handle a soldering gun:

replace the speaker with another speaker rating:
- 8 ohm,
- 50-60 watt,
- celestion, EV, eminence

Live in the US ? If I were you, I would go for this:

Mesa Black Shadow vintage Eminence speaker guitar 12 in, asking price $30 + shipping

... and a booster pedal.

That would be about the most you can get out of your amp, for roughly $60.
Last edited by ColdGin at Feb 21, 2007,
it will push a 4x12 just fine, my friends epi jr pushes his 4x12 fine. loud enough to hear over a drummer.

but i would recommend another amp.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
it will push a 4x12 just fine, my friends epi jr pushes his 4x12 fine. loud enough to hear over a drummer.

Yep, but the Jr. is a tube amp.
my buddies 15 watt crate pushed my bass stack just fine, no problems what so ever.

(the reason i posted the VJ is because its 5 watts, even with the whole "tube is 2 to 3 times as louf as SS", a 30 watt SS "should" be louder)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
it will push a 4x12 just fine

Seen lately many 4x12 cabs for cheap, roughly $60 - $100 ?
Hey, rather than start a new thread I have a similiar question.

I have a 15W Valvetronix. If I wanted to hook this up to a cab, how would I go about doing it knowing that my amp has no ext. speaker out jack (only line out)?
Ben
Quote by muffinman123192

I have a 15W Valvetronix. If I wanted to hook this up to a cab, how would I go about doing it knowing that my amp has no ext. speaker out jack (only line out)?

Have 2 insulated input jacks mounted on your amp, one leading the amp out, the other connected to the speaker. When you want to hook up an external cab, just plug it in the amp out.