Page 1 of 2
Okay, I'm bored.
Here's my life philosophy, laugh about it, love it, but at least think about it.

Okay, my take on life is not that there is some supernatural being outside of us, but that there is some kind of power (call it Ki, Chi, Chakra, whatever) inside of us, that guides us, gives us strength and so on. This power is what initiated religion in the first place: Religion is nothing more than a tool to harness this power, as belief allows us to leap over our shadows and do things we never thought possible. This belief is what releases the hidden energy inside of us and what makes us live. That's why I don't care what religion you belong to, it's all a matter of getting that life energy out of containment.

Thank you.

EDIT: this is also why I really fear extremists, their belief is so strong that they are capable of near anything. American extremists aren't so bad, cuz they have too much to lose. It's the poor, starving, almost dead people from the middle east that scare me. (i think that instead of bombing them, we should give them cakes and pies to fatten them and lessen their belief)

EDIT2: That's also why I live my life the way I wish to, not the way people tell me to. This way I feel much more alive than following somebody elses way of life.
My advice: Live life the way you want to. Just don't hurt anybody. Hurt yourself, if you must. It's your life.

EDIT3:

Quote by UndeadPaperclip
Interesting, but what do you have to back it up?

You can't just think of something that sounds neat to you and solidify it with no other backing other than "Hey, that sounds cool."

Don't get me wrong, it sounds neat, and to a certain extent there are some religions that beleive in an internal energy like that. Mainly Eastern religions such as Bhuddism and Hinduism, in a sense.

I met someone the other day who said she used to be bolemic and stuff, and there was nothing the doctors could do to help her. She went to some kind of church camp, and started believing in god. She became better, and is perfectly normal today, though a little over the top with religion :P
Anyway, I believe she healed herself, cuz I don't think there is some old guy sitting on the clouds watching over us, there is too much suffering for that. So if some god didn't heal her, who did? She found the way to get her strength from the inside by beleiving in something, she was able to harness that energy by beleiving in God. See? That's what I mean, that belief is a very strong thing, that's why I believe in some kind of inner energy. How else do you explain this?
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 21, 2007,
Meh... beats scientology...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Praying to the urine from a pregnant cat beats Scientology.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Quote by Kensai

What doesn't?
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
anal masturbation.

EDIT: What are your views on life?
What gives us strength, power?
Well i strongly disagree with that philosophy. I think that in life we have to stick as much as possible to what's true and what's real, and judge everything as rationally and logically as possible and learn the truth through scientific reasoning and experimentation.

If I were to sum this up in two words, it would be "no bullshit". No fairies, no god, no spirit, no supernatural. Every feeling, emotion and thought is an electro-chemical process that takes place in the brain, and when brain activity stops, that's it, our conciousness ceases to manifest itsself and our bodies rot in the ground. It might not be an optimistic view, but it's all we know for a fact.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Well i strongly disagree with that philosophy. I think that in life we have to stick as much as possible to what's true and what's real, and judge everything as rationally and logically as possible and learn the truth through scientific reasoning and experimentation.

If I were to sum this up in two words, it would be "no bullshit". No fairies, no god, no spirit, no supernatural. Every feeling, emotion and thought is an electro-chemical process that takes place in the brain, and when brain activity stops, that's it, our conciousness ceases to manifest itsself and our bodies rot in the ground. It might not be an optimistic view, but it's all we know for a fact.

I agree
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Interesting, but what do you have to back it up?

You can't just think of something that sounds neat to you and solidify it with no other backing other than "Hey, that sounds cool."

Don't get me wrong, it sounds neat, and to a certain extent there are some religions that beleive in an internal energy like that. Mainly Eastern religions such as Bhuddism and Hinduism, in a sense.
When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life in such a manner that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Kabir
Quote by $Guitarist$
What doesn't?

Christianity.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side

We know nothing for a fact. And don't come with Maths, cuz Maths is based on system where everything is completely logical for us. Doesn't work like that in the real world. How else could you explain that a particle has to be turned by 540 degrees to have an angle of zero to it's original position?
Nah, people have always said "This is the only right way". It used to be religion, now it's the religion of science. Sure, it works, for some things, but there are very many things that it does not work for yet. Explaining life, for instance.
I'm curious as to how you came up with your views (to monster)? they seem to be very general and could fit easily into life with no proof
Last edited by Iam138 at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by Iam138
I'm curious as to how you came up with your views (to monster)? they seem to be very general and could fit easily into life with no proof

See my Edit3 in the first post.
Quote by CoreysMonster
We know nothing for a fact. And don't come with Maths, cuz Maths is based on system where everything is completely logical for us. Doesn't work like that in the real world. How else could you explain that a particle has to be turned by 540 degrees to have an angle of zero to it's original position?
Nah, people have always said "This is the only right way". It used to be religion, now it's the religion of science. Sure, it works, for some things, but there are very many things that it does not work for yet. Explaining life, for instance.

Science has nothing to do with religion. To even suggest that is ridiculous.

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
No matter what's right (religion or science or whatever) does it make a real difference? It of course affects your actions and way of thinking, but why not enjoy life? No matter what you believe in, life is basically incomparable. The experiences, the memories, and the time you spend with others is what matters to you now, or what should matter. If you keep trying to figure out what comes next, you might be disappointed, or if you get what youi want, you'll realize you just wasted your life trying to figure it out. You should enjoy life, becasue for most, this is the only life we get (heaven and or hell doesn't count, nor does reincarnation: If you don't remember previous lifetimes, isn't it the same as losing one?)

edit:
Quote by Mad Marius

originally religion and mythology were used to explain the unknown, which was eventually replaced with science.
This is definitely a medicated nation. I don't go near hospitals, drugs and the like if I can help it.
If you say that all emotion is caused by biochemical brain activity or whatever, that doesn't disprove God, or a soul. God could have made it that way.
Quote by chubbychunks
If you say that all emotion is caused by biochemical brain activity or whatever, that doesn't disprove God, or a soul. God could have made it that way.

The human brain is the result of millions of years of evolution. Nobody "made" it.

Quote by Mad Marius

To suggest the contrary is Rediculous!

both can answer alot of the same questions, so they do infact overlap. To believe in NOMA is to be a fool.
Quote by Mad Marius

That's what they said in the middle Ages, too: "The earth revolves around the sun? To even suggest that is ridiculous."
You can't take anything for granted, you have to look at everything critically.
Quote by CoreysMonster

You can't take anything for granted, you have to look at everything critically.

Yeah, that's what they do in science.

Quote by Iam138

both can answer alot of the same questions, so they do infact overlap. To believe in NOMA is to be a fool.

Except one is a well established deterministic method of objectively observing phenomena and attemting to disprove them through experimentation, and the other is shit people made up in their heads.

Last edited by Mad Marius at Feb 21, 2007,

You DO realize that science often has very little to do with reality?
Many scientific discoveries are just educated guesses, and are constantly being proven wrong.
We can never be completely sure if our "religion", be it science or christianity, is the real solution for explaining the world.

EDIT: And science was is also just shit people made up. Experiments can only be valid if they are under more or less ideal surroundings.

How do you explain why some music appeals to some people, while other music doesn't?

EDIT2: Here's some food for thought:
If an Indian believes that his paddleboat moves because he is tickling the water god with his paddle, who pushes his boat along, in what way is his explanation any less plausible than the explenation of science?
Yeah, that's what they do in science.

Except one is a well established deterministic method of objectively observing phenomena and attemting to disprove them through experimentation, and the other is shit people made up in their heads.
I actually dont believe in a god either but Im saying to say that science and religion should not interfere with eachother is foolish. Take for instance if a scientific proof of no god was made wouldnt that be an interference, could religion just say "we dont associate with science so we dont accept it" just like if god came down and tore the roof of your house off and show'd himself to you would you say "this physical evidence proves me nothing because science and religion can not be overlapped"
Quote by Iam138
I actually dont believe in a god either but Im saying to say that science and religion should not interfere with eachother. Take for instance if a scientific proof of no god was made wouldnt that be an interference, could religion just say "we dont associate with science so we dont accept it" just like if god came down and tore the roof of your house off and show'd himself to you would you say "this physical evidence proves me nothing because science and religion can not be overlapped"

wasn't there something like this is "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy?"

Something about a fish, and God vanishing in a puff of logic... twas funny.
I never read the book but I heard it was good. But this is the basic principle of NOMA or Nonoverlapping Magistrate. which says that while science determines the age of rocks religion determines the rock of ages.
Quote by Mad Marius
The human brain is the result of millions of years of evolution. Nobody "made" it.

not a very good theory. what would have caused something like that??? a genetic mutation in a single cell asexual organism caused it to start evolving?? well that makes you look stupid because mental disabilities and handicaps are all that result of genetic mutations. youre stupid.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by CoreysMonster

You DO realize that science often has very little to do with reality?
Many scientific discoveries are just educated guesses, and are constantly being proven wrong.
We can never be completely sure if our "religion", be it science or christianity, is the real solution for explaining the world.

Science is a self-correcting skeptical process of discovering what's real by finding evidence for it. Which is the exact opposite of religious belief. Quit suggesting that science is a religion, you're just being ignorant.

What you believe has little bearing on the actual truth. The truth is discovered by observing and experimenting, regardless of one's feelings. Religion makes empty claims and expects people to believe, which is as unscientific as one could get.

Quote by CoreysMonster

EDIT: And science was is also just shit people made up. Experiments can only be valid if they are under more or less ideal surroundings.

How do you explain why some music appeals to some people, while other music doesn't?

Science is a set of methods for determining truth, religion is believing in imaginary things. Both are shit people made up, but in very different ways.

People are different, thus their senses and the way they interpret them are different, thus they have different musical preferences.

Quote by CoreysMonster

EDIT2: Here's some food for thought:
If an Indian believes that his paddleboat moves because he is tickling the water god with his paddle, who pushes his boat along, in what way is his explanation any less plausible than the explenation of science?

In science, explanations are always disputed and refined objectively, over years of research, by many many knowledgeable people, to get as close as possible to actual reality. The Indian just imagined his explanation and assumed it was true, which doesn't mean that it's actually true.

If I imagine that the flowers in my garden look so good because aliens land in my backyard every night and water them, that doesn't make it true. To learn the truth, I'd have to look into biology/botany.

^its adaptation(to figs), People adapt to fit there needs in life, it takes millions of years.
You also killed any credibility you would have had in this arguement by adding the "youre stuipd" at the end of your arguement.
Quote by CoreysMonster
wasn't there something like this is "Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy?"

Something about a fish, and God vanishing in a puff of logic... twas funny.

God - "I refuse to believe that i exist, because proof denies faith, and without faith, i am nothing"

Man - "Yeh but the babblefish is a dead set example that you exist, so by your own logic, you don't"

And with that god disapeared in a puff of logic.

My view on life used to be that the outcome of it was decided by your choices and attitude to life: Good things happen to good people basicly. I based it around sport being a metaphor for life in the way that those who practice the best will reach the top.

But then i looked at it more and realised that in sport, your level of ability is decided so much by natural talent that my theory was crap, in cricket at least it's the exact opposite, people who deserve to be the best players and like the games most are generaly not the best players.

This made me realise that it's not just a simple case of doing the right things will bring the right result, and thinking about it i never believed that in the first place, i just made myself think it was true because otherwise i would be realllly pissed of at the world for being so damn unfair.
Need.New.Sig.
Last edited by slash_620 at Feb 21, 2007,
you can be as analytically critical as you want, but it still won't teach you anything about yourself, not really. Not about the way you think, act whatever. It doesn't explain why people live, why we came here. We cannot explain what is beyond our observations, nor can we really begin to understand what is REALLY out there. It is still very possible that some day someone will think of something that makes ever more sense than our science today, and we'll be like "shit..." and have to relearn everything all over again.
Being catious about science isn't being ignorant, it's being realistic: "I only know that I know nothing at all".
try everything once except incest
I HATE YOU
Quote by _zac_
ill flame as much as i damn well please

suck my balls
Quote by CoreysMonster
you can be as analytically critical as you want, but it still won't teach you anything about yourself, not really. Not about the way you think, act whatever. It doesn't explain why people live, why we came here. We cannot explain what is beyond our observations, nor can we really begin to understand what is REALLY out there. It is still very possible that some day someone will think of something that makes ever more sense than our science today, and we'll be like "shit..." and have to relearn everything all over again.
Being catious about science isn't being ignorant, it's being realistic: "I only know that I know nothing at all".

But what your ignoring is that science is trying to answer all these questions.

Religion gave up 2000 years ago and just said "Right lads, god did it"
Need.New.Sig.
Quote by slash_620
But what your ignoring is that science is trying to answer all these questions.

Religion gave up 2000 years ago and just said "Right lads, god did it"

I'm just saying, science isn't the answer to everything, and that sometimes believing in something uncertain gives more comfort and strength than trying to prove everything.

EDIT: which is what my initial post was all about. How do you explain phenomenons like that, healing by pure willpower?
I'm sure science will have an answer to that one day, but I doubt it will be a very positive one. People need positivity in their lives, that's why I don't look to science for all the answers.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Scientists are definitely the most cautious when it comes to science.

And give it time. Just like many things today are explained and proven, so will life, the human nature, the universe and all that.

To simply assume something and believe in it blindly without being skeptical and examining it is foolish.

Quote by CoreysMonster
I'm just saying, science isn't the answer to everything, and that sometimes believing in something uncertain gives more comfort and strength than trying to prove everything.

EDIT: which is what my initial post was all about. How do you explain phenomenons like that, healing by pure willpower?
I'm sure science will have an answer to that one day, but I doubt it will be a very positive one. People need positivity in their lives, that's why I don't look to science for all the answers.

And if you're looking to believe in something because it's positive and optimistic and gives you comfort, fine. But that says nothing about its truth value. The truth isn't always pleasant.

A doctor may comfort a terminal cancer patient by telling him he'll be allright, but that patient may want to know the truth.

Some people (myself included) would rather know the truth, as harsh as it may be, than live a life of feel-good bullshit lies.

Last edited by Mad Marius at Feb 21, 2007,
If the truth harms you, what good does it do?
Sometimes the truth, and science, have done more hurt than good.

EDIT: Nevermind, so has belief. :/
Quote by CoreysMonster
If the truth harms you, what good does it do?
Sometimes the truth, and science, have done more hurt than good.

EDIT: Nevermind, so has belief. :/

Knowing the truth allows you to prepare for it and face it. If you believe in fairies and the truth hits you with ball-crunching strength, THEN you really suffer.

Knowing about an earthquake in advance allows time to evacuate people and save lives. If everyone assumed "God would never hit us with an earthquake because we're faithful", when the earthquake finally hits, eveyone dies.

Quote by Mad Marius
Knowing the truth allows you to prepare for it and face it. If you believe in fairies and the truth hits you with ball-crunching strength, THEN you really suffer.

Knowing about an earthquake in advance allows time to evacuate people and save lives. If everyone assumed "God would never hit us with an earthquake because we're faithful", when the earthquake finally hits, eveyone dies.

Well, I never said I believed in God. I believe in an inner power that can help us if we believe strong enough in whatever. Doesn't mean it can make us invincible.
All I'm saying is that believing in positive things can help you conquer life's difficulties better than saying: "I'm just a heap of cells without further meaning or purpose, there is no afterlife, there is no hope [/emo]"
Quote by CoreysMonster

Unfortunately not everyone can blindly believe in something that has absolutely no proof to it whatsoever.

How do explain the millions of people benefitting from advances in medical treatment? Science

How do you explain the massive rise in life expectancy and standard of living?Science.

How do you explain that every 7 seconds someone dies from HIV aids? Does God explain this? If you believe in god(not directed at you) then please ask yourself where the hell is he for all the people living in desperate poverty.

I agree with you, believing in stuff that doesn't make sense is a great thing if it helps you, and i wish i could believe in it and feel what you feel, but i can't.
Need.New.Sig.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Well, I never said I believed in God. I believe in an inner power that can help us if we believe strong enough in whatever. Doesn't mean it can make us invincible.

If you are very ill and strongly believe in the inner power of self-healing, you die. Yes, the body has amazing self-healing capabilities and an effective immune system, and being optimistic and having a positive attidude toward life help, but that doesn't mean that being ingnorant is justified by the need to feel good.

Quote by CoreysMonster

All I'm saying is that believing in positive things can help you conquer life's difficulties better than saying: "I'm just a heap of cells without further meaning or purpose, there is no afterlife, there is no hope [/emo]"

Yes, that is an "emo" attitude and a very wrong one. If you believe that there is no meaning to this life just because another doesn't follow and everything ends with death, then I pity you.

Page 1 of 2