Ok, so all people seem to recommend the AC30 for around here is classic rock. But the bands All American Rejects and Motion City Soundtrack both use AC30s and have a nice pop-punk mid-gain tone. To anyone who has played an AC30, is it possible for them to reach these tones?
Ibanez RG321MH - Weathered Black with an SD Invader in the bridge
Orange Crush 10 watt
I've never played but but my friend has one and he can get alot of different tones out of it. And if you say those two bands can get those tones, haven't you answered you're own question? :P
If those bands use it then yea. But try one out and see for yourself.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I think if he waned it to be marshally he'd just buy a decent marshall for a similar price. And i think the reason people only say it's a good classic rock amp is because for a lot of people around here things can only be either jazz/ blues, classic rock or metal. Most 'guitar people' don't really play an amp and think this amp is a pop-punk amp.
The Stuff!
Quote by tastyhumans
Ok, so all people seem to recommend the AC30 for around here is classic rock. But the bands All American Rejects and Motion City Soundtrack both use AC30s and have a nice pop-punk mid-gain tone. To anyone who has played an AC30, is it possible for them to reach these tones?

It seems pretty apparent to me.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Well the likes of Paul weller, carl barat, dave grohl, noel gallagher, jonny greenwood have used them so i'd say no. Its quite true what thyme was saying, this amp is very raw, more suited to british punk, indie and a more live indie sound. It has nice cleans which is why people like dave grohl use them, but all american rejects probably use shitty pedals with them.
Quote by bettyswollox
Well the likes of Paul weller, carl barat, dave grohl, noel gallagher, jonny greenwood have used them so i'd say no. Its quite true what thyme was saying, this amp is very raw, more suited to british punk, indie and a more live indie sound. It has nice cleans which is why people like dave grohl use them, but all american rejects probably use shitty pedals with them.

Didn't Weller use Marshalls (at least that's what I've seen from videos)?
Ben
I'm pretty sure that he used ac30's with The Jam, I'm not sure about what he's used since then though.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
well, a vox amp will take the true characteristic of your guitar playing and amplify it greatly. There's not a lot of room to hide bad playing on an AC30, so if you're playing punk, please make sure you actually DO know how to play guitar.

The amp will probably sound fine in any situation, as long as the guitarist knows what he's doing. For punk rock, you will probably want a distortion or overdrive pedal to put in the signal chain as well.
Quote by bettyswollox
this amp is very raw, more suited to british punk, indie and a more live indie sound.

The distorion is probably not 'clean-cut' enough for pop-punk, it's high on trebles as well, but it depends what sort of a pop punk tone you want, but you probably won't get a generic one out of it.
The Stuff!
If the bands you like it that play it, then try it out and see how it turns out.
Sent from my iPad.
AC30s can definitely get that tone. But I recommend trying to find an older AC30 and put a good overdrive/distortion in front of it. The new ones are crap.
Quote by joshsirjoshules
AC30s can definitely get that tone. But I recommend trying to find an older AC30 and put a good overdrive/distortion in front of it. The new ones are crap.

The old ones are way more expensive than the new ones, and I liked the new ones much better than the Hand-wired Reissues they had a while ago. The new AC30s are really awesome amps.
Quote by joshsirjoshules

You're either tone deaf or you haven't played it and assumed that because it was a reissue it sucked.

Although these ARE AC30's, it is really a completely different amp. They have changed so many things in them that they can get really modern but still do most of the old tones that the Beatles and Stones had. I love my AC30CCH. With V30's and an OCD, this amp sings.
Quote by metallicaman80
You're either tone deaf or you haven't played it and assumed that because it was a reissue it sucked.

Although these ARE AC30's, it is really a completely different amp. They have changed so many things in them that they can get really modern but still do most of the old tones that the Beatles and Stones had. I love my AC30CCH. With V30's and an OCD, this amp sings.

It's strange, I don't apply to any of those. It simply doesn't have the charm or sound of the older AC30s. I feel more like I'm playing a Marshall when I play one of the new ones.
i use one, i use the head through a marshall cab, and ive used both handwired and the custom classic combos and through a marshall 1936 2 12 in the studio before. The head/marshal 4 12 is what i use live.

i crank the top boost channel and overdrive the tubes over again with a Blues Driver. It sounds great, very distinct and different.

i wouldnt suggest getting a hold of an old one, especially for live, unless youre wanting to drop 2 or 3 grand for an amp that over heast and breaks down all the time, itd be great for the studio and if you have money..otherwise, custom classics kick major ass,

just be sure you have a great sounding guitar, or else the amp will sound like shit. the difference in guitar really makes a difference with the sound of the vox. Also be aware that this amp is a one channel amp, i roll off the volume on my neck pickup to get my cleans, and switch to my bridge for overdrive, and add the blues driver for heavier overdrive. ALso, the EQ works a bit differently than most EQs, its used as a scoop, the lower the bass and treble, the more scooped the mids
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville