Poll: Should respect be earned or given?
Poll Options
View poll results: Should respect be earned or given?
Earned
68 72%
Given
26 27%
Not sure
1 1%
Voters: 95.
Page 1 of 2
Should it be earned or given? This gets talked about a lot, and I thought it would be interesting to see what UG thought.

In my opinion, it should be given, but then taken away if someone fucks up. I have respect for anyone until they do something themselves to make me think about them differently.

So what do you guys think?
I think self-respect is most important. Once you respect yourself people automatically start to respect you. It's earned.
Earned, because I'm bitter.
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
Earned... but that doesn't mean I disrespect everyone I see on the street.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by CoreysMonster
I think self-respect is most important. Once you respect yourself people automatically start to respect you. It's earned.

i second that^
respect should be earned, but you should still have some towards all your fellow man.
Quote by Stinkles
P.S. Don't even get me started on how unfair penis sizes are not that im complaining.

P.S.S. Because I love my tiny penis.

Quote by raisinbran
In soviet Russia, I ban Cas
Respect is automatically earned until you do something disrespectful to someone. Then is has to be earned back.
Given, but much more can be earned.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by CoreysMonster

Wow, I never looked at it that way. That's pretty smart.

Quote by FrenchyFungus

Oh, I forgot to add that, I believe this too.
i think you should respect anyone that isnt a chav/paedophile/criminal. but real respect should be earned by what people say and do.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB -T
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
starts as given, but it can quickly been taken away from u.. so u gotta do something to keep that respect up
I reckon you should give everyone some respect (respect as a human being, as a person with feelings), but you should be able to take/add more if they deserve it.
People have to earn it, in my view. It annoys me so much when people assume they have an automatic right to my respect, and then treat me or people I know how they want because they think we have to respect them. I don't disrespect everybody I meet though.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
there is no reason why some1 walking down the street can't have your respect but if you see a reason for not giving him any, say he kicked a homeless person than he deserves none
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Quote by FrenchyFungus

Yeah that sums it up.

Saying you have to earn it seems sort of big headed. It implies that your respect is worth effort.
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
It's gotta be earned.

There was a Don who ruled the neighborhood where I grew up in New York named Don Fanucci. He was a mean bastard. Me and my friends had gotten into stealing things, and one day Fanucci jumped in the delivery truck that I drove around town, and we talked for awhile. He says to me, "Young man, I hear you and your friends are stealing goods. But you don't even send a dress to my house. No respect! You know I've got three daughters. This is my neighborhood. You and your friends should show me some respect. You should let me wet my beak a little. I hear you and your friends cleared $600 each. Give me $200 each, for your own protection. And I'll forget the insult. You young punks have to learn to respect a man like me! Otherwise the cops will come to your house. And your family will be ruined. Of course, if I'm wrong about how much you stole, I'll take a little less. And by less, I only mean - a hundred bucks less. Now don't refuse me. Understand, paisan? Understand, paisan?... Tell your friends I don't want a lot. Just enough to wet my beak. Don't be afraid to tell them!"

So I tell my friends about Fanucci's deal, and I tell them that I'm only going to offer to pay him 50$ "How will you change his mind?" They asked. I told them not to worry about it. Later that night I hid in Fanucci's apartment building for three hours in the dark (I had unscrewed all of the hallway lightbulbs). He came in and walked up the stairs to his door. He noticed the lights and began tapping them. They came on and I emerged from the shadows with a shotgun wrapped in a blanket, and I unloaded on him.

After that, I became the new Don. Don Stellar_Legs.

Respect. You gotta earn it.
Poor advice.
You have respect for someone, you don't give it.

And, what do you mean? You didn't phrase that well at all.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Both... duh. you give respect to someone who's earned it. People respect you if you earn it...
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by g1asseye
Both... duh. you give respect to someone who's earned it. People respect you if you earn it...

I was waiting for that.

Yeah giving and earning respect are too different things...

You give respect to someone who's earned it.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Quote by hardrock1315
Should it be earned or given? This gets talked about a lot, and I thought it would be interesting to see what UG thought.

In my opinion, it should be given, but then taken away if someone fucks up. I have respect for anyone until they do something themselves to make me think about them differently.

So what do you guys think?

I agree.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I always wondered why people didn't respect me... hmmm.
I said earned.

There's two kinds of respect though. There's a basic level of "respect", in terms of listening to others' opinions and recognizing that they have their own feelings and accommodating them... I don't refer to any of these things as respect though, but I do think that these things are very, very important, ethically and simply for getting along with others. The definition I actually use, however, is that of an appreciation of a person's accomplishments of deed and character. This basically by definition must be earned, and is rather meaningless if it is afforded to everyone.
Quote by Meths
Really, it's quite gutting that we'll all be dead by the time the earth is entirely underwater because I really want to stick your head underwater while standing on Everest and say "if sea levels aren't rising, HOW COME YOU'RE DYING?!"
earned!
just giving it seem pointless most people probably don't deserve it.
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
you should respect everyone until they lose that respect and no longer deserve it. you cant start out disrespecting everyone...
Quote by mr. cool
popapez fucking knows every thing from how to touch a girl right to how to speak spanish
Quote by Smokey Amp
Popapez can shred0rz the acoustic guitar
Quote by search49
In the Pit, generally only the things that popapez said were worthwhile. You're a goddess, darling.
Quote by jammoe
I said earned.

There's two kinds of respect though. There's a basic level of "respect", in terms of listening to others' opinions and recognizing that they have their own feelings and accommodating them... I don't refer to any of these things as respect though, but I do think that these things are very, very important, ethically and simply for getting along with others. The definition I actually use, however, is that of an appreciation of a person's accomplishments of deed and character. This basically by definition must be earned, and is rather meaningless if it is afforded to everyone.

+1.

I also think respect should be earned. There is a basic level of respect, and a respect for someone as a character.
you should have respect for a person, until they prove other wise that they deserve it or dont.....

you can quote me lol
Quote by hardrock1315

+1

i try to be curtious to everyone, however I respect some more than others.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
Last edited by PlayTheMetal at Feb 21, 2007,
Given initially but then it has to be earned to continue. Everyone deserves respect initially (can't judge a book by its cover) but if they begin abusing that respect they should lose it.
I think respect should be automatically assumed to someone when you first meet them, as a form of courtesy. Then see how much they wittle away at it with their actions.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Page 1 of 2