i hope this makes sence.

But how can i increase the responce of my gear so that when i play hard it distorts but when i play lightly it cleans up real nice.
Get a GT-8 :P Thats one of the effects they have that I love.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
funny you should say that.

my teacher has an old boss rack multi effects for sale with alot of different effects on it, he says it can do a cabinet modeling and has pretty much all the boss effects on it, it cost him 499£ in 1998 what modle is it dose any one know some one please help, cause if its a GT then ill be well chuffed
But I think he wants what the gt-8 can give. Like really nice cleans, and then a really heavy distortion.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by forsaknazrael
But what he's describing is picking dynamics. Not the use of different FX or a stomp box.

Sorry, my bad.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

marshall tube amp, usually a DSL for practicing, but i have become slighty bored with marshall looking for an amp with really great cleans but kind of fuzzes a bit when overdriven(like a clapton tone from the cream reunion gig)
Quote by forsaknazrael
But what he's describing is picking dynamics. Not the use of different FX or a stomp box.

Good fuzz boxes or OD's will usually clean up in the same way; otherwise, there is always the volume knob.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, yeah, but you can do it with just amps.

It doesn't really work with SS amps though (which I'm sure you know).
Ya, that's why I asked about what kinda amp he had.

EDIT: I totally forgot. How high are you cranking the DSL? Try rolling back your volume on your guitar a bit, like down to 8. Then crank the DSL 's gain to about right before it starts breaking up. Your volume should be at the max, or near there. that should get ya cleans. Then turn up the volume on your guitar and pick harder for distortion.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Feb 21, 2007,
Turn the gain down, remove any compression, buy a highway one strat (or any guitar with singles really, I just like the highway 1) , etc.

Also this isn't the same meaning of the word but I find I get a much more responsive (by that I mean lively) sound when I pick very close to the bridge.
theres a boss pedal (cant think of it right now...) but it switches effects/ amps/ cabs by how hard you pick..but an easier alt. is buy a good distortion pedal and swicth it manually by foot..
UG's HIPPIE
Wow...I can't believe most people don't know about picking dynamics.

You'd be amazed at the amount of control you have on your distortion just with your volume knob. If you really need it pedal driven, just get a passive volume pedal. I think Ernie Ball makes one.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Quote by andrew7667
Wow...I can't believe most people don't know about picking dynamics.

You'd be amazed at the amount of control you have on your distortion just with your volume knob. If you really need it pedal driven, just get a passive volume pedal. I think Ernie Ball makes one.

For rizzle. The volume knob is your friend.
Turn your amp up loud so it's distorted, then use the volume control to clean up the signal.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Agreed on the volume knob, knocking it back a touch tends to make the guitar more responsive to pick attack. Also try lowering your pickups a touch, that tends to help. You could also look at replacement pickups if you want to be drastic, a lot of the after-market models tend to be more responsive and sensitive to pick attack. Generally speaking you'd want an overwound vintage type over a "distortion" class pickup - something hot, but not so hot that the cleans go to shit.

Finally, it's important to have as little crap in your chain as possible, ideally just guitar and amp, certainly don't stick anything like a multi FX in the loop.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Thee's a new boss pedal out (the Dyna Drive) which does exactly what you want, its got the same thing on the Roland Cube amps, but i guess these guys have better advice.