Well I've decided to install Linux on my laptop since it's just lying around doing jack all. Basically I wanna know what would probably be the ideal distribution to install. I've installed slackware before on an old pc. That ran pretty well, but the GNOME environment ran pretty slowly cos of a crappy graphics card.

The laptop's got an even worse graphics card (8meg vram lol) and 128megs of RAM.

Any help in choosing a distro would be appreciated.

Ray
Can't go wrong with Slackware for lightweight. Of course using KDE or Gnome isn't going to be very smooth on that kind of hardware. I've never liked using a desktop system anyway. Give WindowMaker a try. It's a pretty fast and functional window manager that doesn't look horrible.
Suse.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I Hear Damn Small Linux is ideal for a laptop, though, it doesn't offer all the features of a regular linux os. only 50 mb,
Last edited by flaming_frets08 at Feb 21, 2007,
Well I've just downloaded an Ubuntu ISO and I'm using that as a LiveCD to see how it fares on my machine. If it's operating well then I'll just stick with it. I'll see in a few minutes hehe.