i was browsing musicians friend, doing a bit of its-a-shame-i-cant-afford-these window shopping when i came across this strat.
fender 60s reverse special strat
it says

the flipped headstock reverses the length of the strings, and combined with the reverse-slant bridge pickup, delivers feel and tone uniquely different from traditional Stratocasters.

can anyone tell me how and why its so different? what about the different length of the strings makes this unique?
the position of each string's tuning head changes location. the low E, for example, has its tuner on the far end of the headstock, thus increasing its length compared to a normal strat.

the bridge pickup is slanted in the opposite direction, much like hendrix's strat was (though his was unintentional, in a way - it was just an effect of using a right handed guitar upside-down).

i don't think the string length will change your sound much, if at all. the bridge pickup will change it a little bit. it's mostly cosmetic imo.
It's the reversed bridge pickup that's going to make alot of the tone difference.

It makes a big difference as the polepieces are in the opposite places to what they normally are. Hendrix obviously had this effect alot due to restringing a right hander but another one who has it is Gary Moore. The neck pup in his goldtop is reversed which helps with his signature sound.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
im pretty sure it makes down tuning the lower strings easier, but i dont know

i just know that all of the major metal guitar makers use reverse headstocks for a reason
Gear:
Carvin Bolt-T -> Line 6 DL-4 -> Danelectro Fish and Chips -> Homemade Fuzz -> Epiphone Valve Junior Combo -> Amplitube and Guitar Rig.
As far as string length I don't think that will matter much if at all since the distance from the nut will still be the same.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
It's supposed to be a Jimi Hendrix style strat without calling it one, that's why it has the reversed bridge pickup too.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by sk8boardbob2
As far as string length I don't think that will matter much if at all since the distance from the nut will still be the same.

thats what i was thinking. thanks for the help everyone
Quote by Guitarislife125
Common myth, reverse headstocks do not change string tension considerably, if proof is need I will try digging up an article written by a mature inventor and luthier on another site.

It doesn't change the string tension but it does change the way the string responds to changes in tension (i.e. plucking) because those strings with more string beind the nut before the tuner can stretch more there. It's a marginal effect (les noticable than changing the angle the string goes over a tune-o-matic bridge for example) but it is there.
It'll screw you up when you try to tune it... Cause I always think the low E string is tuned at the closest tuner right? So I did the same with a reverse headstock guitar- I hit the low E but tuned the high E. Ha-ha.
Last edited by RPGoof at Feb 21, 2007,