are you an idiot? do you think metallica have their own patented tuning that no one else is allowed to use?

if you meant to ask:

"what tuning do metalica play in?"

then the answer is:

E standard for the most part, with a few songs tuned differently.

now, go to school and learn how to type, and spell properly.
Some songs are down a half step from standard.

Other songs may be down like 10 cents or something like that, but I don't know how that works at all.
E flat is MOP... i think.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
it all used to be E standard but now they play a half step down instead
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
naa mop's standard stuning

but yeah standard for the most part.
but St angers rubbishness is in alot of diff tunings
blera rhib
all songs black album and prior are in standard E with the following exceptions....

Sad But True - Standard D tuning
The thing that should not be - Drop D tuning
The god that failed - Standard Eb tuning
Metallica almost always played in E (with the exception of a few songs) up until 99 when Hetfield blew out his voice. Since then they've been doing E flat.
Quote by bodomfan666
E flat is MOP... i think.

BZZZZT wrong, but thanks for playing!!! all of master of puppets is in Standard E except for 'the thing that should not be"
drop C, not c standard,

invisble kid is drop Ab.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by tubadude
drop C, not c standard,

invisble kid is drop Ab.

Why the **** would they do that? I guess they figured... Oh these songs suck in standard, if we down tune to a retarded degree, maybe they'll sound good!
Does anyone know if "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is in fact in E standard? Because the tab that came with my Guitar One Magazine sounds off...
High as tits
its in E standard, the guitar part in the beginning is Gb, and E. so 2nd fret, and open
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by The Casualty
Metallica almost always played in E (with the exception of a few songs) up until 99 when Hetfield blew out his voice. Since then they've been doing E flat.

IS THAT SERIOUOSLY THE ****ING REASON THEY DONT PLAY SONGS IN STANDARD E ANYMORE??!!! GOD SOME SONGS JUST SOUND TERRIBLE IN DROP E!!!
METALLICA
MACHINE HEAD

JANUARY 13TH

JOE LOUIS ARENA

Quote by Jehuty
It's not rape if you yell surprise.

Quote by ZanasCross
Girls his dad's age rarely still have nice asses. Gravity attacks.
Pretty much everythign from AJFA and back is tuned to E standard. On RTL, it sounds out of tune with standard because they slowed down the tape so James could sing high parts at a lower pitch, and they didn't raise them back to stanard pitch.

On MOP, Thing That Should Not Be is in a lower tuning, although there seems to be a lot of debate as to whether it's a standard, or dropped lower tuning.

AJFA is E Standard.

TBA has a couple of alternately tunes songs, but most are in E Standard.

Load and Reload are in Eb Standard

St Anger has a bunch of different drop tunings.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by AngelOfSorrow
IS THAT SERIOUOSLY THE ****ING REASON THEY DONT PLAY SONGS IN STANDARD E ANYMORE??!!! GOD SOME SONGS JUST SOUND TERRIBLE IN DROP E!!!

Drop E? Do you know what you're talking about?
Eb is Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb.
Drop E would be E B E A C# F#.
Metallica didn't start actively downtuning until Load. Everything pre-Load was standard E (EADGBE) except for a few exceptions like "Sad But True." On Load and Reload, they used Eb (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb), which is also their main concert tuning nowadays. St. Anger is mostly drop C (CGCFAD).

I have personally always known The Thing That Should Not Be to be in a standard tuning, either D or C#. It's a lot more economical to play it in a standard tuning, and I think Metallica would have realized that. That, and drop tunings weren't particularly popular in metal in 1986.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by SeanG
Drop E? Do you know what you're talking about?
Eb is Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb.
Drop E would be E B E A C# F#.

More like Raise E, lol.

Metallica is mostly in E Standard, as far as I know.

EDIT:
Quote by Crunchmeister
Pretty much everythign from AJFA and back is tuned to E standard. On RTL, it sounds out of tune with standard because they slowed down the tape so James could sing high parts at a lower pitch, and they didn't raise them back to stanard pitch.

I don't know quite why, but I find that hilarious.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
EDIT:
I don't know quite why, but I find that hilarious.

It was a very common recording technique before the days of pitch shifters. If a song was a bit out of the vocalist's range, they would slow the tape down enough to lower the overall pitch of the song 1/2 step or so to make it easier to sing to. Then they would speed the tape back up to normal speed for the mixdown. Metallica used this technique pretty extensively in the KA - MoP era. This is also why on some songs on RTL where Hetfield seems to sing really high stuff, it seems to have a bit of a 'chipmunk' quality to the voice.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
i think i read somewhere that kirk tunes up/down microtonally for fade to black, but i wouldn't know
^What the hell is microtonally?!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Well, I recently learned The Four Horsemen from Kill 'Em All. My high E is perfectly tuned according to an online tuner, guitar pro, and the small chromatic tuner I have. It still sounds out of tune. BLAH. But yea, all older Metallica is E standard.
Member of the "Guitarists Born in 1991 Club". PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join.

Dean Guitars.
All Metallica before the LOAD album is standard E tuning, except for The thing that should not be, which is on the puppets album which is in dropped D. Load and Reload are mostly E flat tuning. The new album St. Anger was all in drop C i do believe. However when metallica plays live they play everything in Standard E tuning dropped half step (Eb tuning), except for St anger songs of course.
~Metal Up Your @$$~ \m/
Quote by Suicidal_Brick
Does anyone know if "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is in fact in E standard? Because the tab that came with my Guitar One Magazine sounds off...

I do believe it's still tuned to E, but not A 440Hz. They tuned slightly up so it wouldn't sound as bad with the bell
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Kirk confirmed in GuitarWorld that The Thing That Should Not Be is in C# standard tuning.

Pre-Load/Reload was all E-Standard with a few exceptions (Sad But True, TTTSNB, etc.).
Load/Reload was Eb, with a few exceptions (Devil's Dance, etc)
St.Anger was mostly Drop C.

As far as I know, Metallica plays all the pre St.Anger songs live in Eb. But don't quote me on it.
I think that For Whom the Bell Tolls in in Eb because I have tried playing to it in E standard, but it was too high. I then dropped a half step and it sounded spot on.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by The Casualty

I thought he blew his voice out in the Black Album recording sessions...then they used Eb to accommodate James's singing voice.
Quote by Broken-pick
^What the hell is microtonally?!

I think the solos in Fade to black were tuned at 450 or something instead of the normal 440.
Quote by IAMIDY
I thought he blew his voice out in the Black Album recording sessions...then they used Eb to accommodate James's singing voice.

No, actually I'd say his voice was in it's prime at that time (or getting there). He blew it out recording "So What."
Quote by IAMIDY

On Some Kind of Monster, he said he hurt his voice singing So What? which was on Garage, Inc.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
On Some Kind of Monster, he said he hurt his voice singing So What? which was on Garage, Inc.

But if you'll notice, James mentions doing it during the Black Album.
Quote by z4twenny
all songs black album and prior are in standard E with the following exceptions....

Sad But True - Standard D tuning
The thing that should not be - Drop D tuning
The god that failed - Standard Eb tuning

The thing that should not be is actually played all the way down to drop c tuning
Quote by Half_Full
But if you'll notice, James mentions doing it during the Black Album.

I did notice that, and it kind of confused me. I did a little research. They have a cover of So What? on the UK version of the Black Album. All sorted.
Quote by dudetheman

Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
I did notice that, and it kind of confused me. I did a little research. They have a cover of So What? on the UK version of the Black Album. All sorted.

Ah, that's why. I'm sure everyone who didn't know that was looking at their T.V. screen going "Wtf? :stickpoke "
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Metallica didn't start actively downtuning until Load. Everything pre-Load was standard E (EADGBE) except for a few exceptions like "Sad But True." On Load and Reload, they used Eb (Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb), which is also their main concert tuning nowadays. St. Anger is mostly drop C (CGCFAD).

I have personally always known The Thing That Should Not Be to be in a standard tuning, either D or C#. It's a lot more economical to play it in a standard tuning, and I think Metallica would have realized that. That, and drop tunings weren't particularly popular in metal in 1986.

Agreed. I read that from Guitar World in January 2006. Kirk said it was a Sabbath influence. I'd rather believe the artist himself over some tab book. I also play Master of Puppets, starting from the 12th fret and doing a chromatic descent, like Kirk showed.