I was wondering if different types of strings change the sound quality? Please reply to let me know. Because my "A" string just snapped
bassguitar4ever
For me the only sound that matters is money in my wallet.

But yes, there is a bit of a difference between different types of strings. There's different gauges, brands, coatings. What kind of strings do you have on your bass now?
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Try DRs. Stupidly expensive, but I've heard amazing things about them.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by amonamon4
Thanks, what brand do you recremend.

If you want the most bang for your buck, go with EB's. If you have the extra cash, do as Dinky said and grab a set of DR's. I'm an Ernie Ball man myself however.
Quote by X Alkaline 3

iScrobbler

Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
If theyre old strings, change all of em, if theyre new, u can get away with just one.

If theyre old and u change just one, you're 'a' will sound different than the rest of your strings for atleast a few week most likely.
It depends on how much you play. A set of strings lasts me 3-4 months with how much I play. (1.5 hours every day, 2-3 gigs a week, +6 hours of band practice a week)
Quote by X Alkaline 3

iScrobbler

i guess mine would last a good half a year then ( i do not play that much
bassguitar4ever
RotoSounds!!!!!

If your strings are sounding shite, jsut give 'em a nice ol' boil, and they'll be bright again. Cheaper than getting new ones
Quote by amonamon4
Does that really work ?

No, he's clearly lying so you'll burn yourself.

Give it a try, it works wonders. Just don't put your hand in the water.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
smart advice about the hands in the water because i just burned my hand boilling my strings ( just kiding )
bassguitar4ever
You guys REALLY should've mentioned to use a pot THAT YOU WOULD THROW OUT LATER. The residues and toxins off the string now have made your pot dangerously chemicalamized.

Dont eat from it or make food in it.
^^
Awesome man! good for you. I suppose my address would help matters a little??????

Quote by mangablade
You guys REALLY should've mentioned to use a pot THAT YOU WOULD THROW OUT LATER. The residues and toxins off the string now have made your pot dangerously chemicalamized.

Dont eat from it or make food in it.

Well once u have taken out the strings, just put some 20-50ml of concentrated HCl (Hydro-Chloric Acid) in the pot, and stir it around for abt 60-90 sec. till the bubbles or other reaction signs subside. Then put it under water, and step away from it. Be very careful as to not let the acid touch ur skin in any case. If it does, wash with lots of water. Acid wounds dont heal very fast.

Now HCl will turn all the metal oxides into chloride salts that are soluble in water, so that they will wash away, and ur pot will be safe again. But to avoid all this hassle, it is recommended to use a useless or disposable pot. Rock on.

- Bassface
Last edited by Bassface_505 at Feb 22, 2007,
Quote by Bassface_505

Well once u have taken out the strings, just put some 20-50ml of concentrated HCl (Hydro-Chloric Acid) in the pot, and stir it around for abt 60-90 sec. till the bubbles or other reaction signs subside. Then put it under water, and step away from it. Be very careful as to not let the acid touch ur skin in any case. If it does, wash with lots of water. Acid wounds dont heal very fast.

Now HCl will turn all the metal oxides into chloride salts that are soluble in water, so that they will wash away, and ur pot will be safe again. But to avoid all this hassle, it is recommended to use a useless or disposable pot. Rock on.

- Bassface

lol... it seems a lot of effort. I usually just change my strings once every 3 months. But one day I'll try this because it sounds cool.
bassface, where can we find concentrate acid in this day and age?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.