Okay so I've been playing since June or July and I got a concert coming up in a month or two. However I think it would be a bit awkward to carry a chair out on to stage and sit in it to play a loud rock song in front of a couple hundred people. So I just tried playing standing up and it's pretty tough moving my hand up/down the fretboard. I tried adjusting the strap so that it was lower, but this makes my gutiar wobbly when I'm sliding my hand for the bar chords in the song. I raised it up a little and now my wrist is hurting a little. Can someone give me some tips or is it something with my strap? Or do I just need to suck it up and get used to it because it's going to hurt for a month?
practice standing up and u will get used to it
...im better sitting down too
You should start off with your guitar in a position/height where you can reach all of the frets without straining your hands.
Then gradually lower it over time.
Offsetting your guitar onto the side of your waist my help if your getting cramp etc. in your hand.
Okay, basically do all the practise regimens and songs you play standing up, force yourself to not even consider sitting down when you're going to play for more than 30 seconds. I did that for a while, like whenever I would play along to "Master of pUppets," or some othger song, I would do it standing up. Now I can jump, thrash around, throw my guitar around, and runn around while playing.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
i say play it as low as it feels comfortable then keep on lowering it until it's low enough for your liking but you can still play similar to when you're sat down
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
when i first started standing up, i accidently put the strap on the back strap button (by the tone knobs) and the other one was at the nut on the neck. If you do that the guitar slides all around. so make sureyour useing both strap buttons on the guitar. at first have the guitar higher up like when you play sitting, then slowly start lowering it.
ive been playing for a yeat or so and have stood up to play once in a while which i need to do more because its hard to do if u dont practice it. P.S. HOW DO I PLAY ACDC SOLOS,I HAVE EVRYTHING ELSE DOWN?SOMEONE HELP!!!!
Couple of hundred people, and you have been playing since July ???
Looking for a new sig!
Yeah, my singer is in the school's chorus, and there is a Cabaret going on soon (to be in the show you have to have a member of the chorus on stage with you). We are only gonna play one song.
Last edited by ratzgame at Feb 21, 2007,
i had that problem before, what i do is put my guitar at like crotch height, and kind of lift it with my fretting hand, or put it on my waist. Also putting one foot on the monitors (or whatever the speakers pointed towards you are called) can help. ( like putting your guitar on the raised leg you get it?)
Sit down and get into your usual comfortable playing position. Then adjust your strap so that when you stand up the guitar is in the same position as it is when you're sat.

The only difference is that your not bending your legs.
Quote by big_d
ive been playing for a yeat or so and have stood up to play once in a while which i need to do more because its hard to do if u dont practice it. P.S. HOW DO I PLAY ACDC SOLOS,I HAVE EVRYTHING ELSE DOWN?SOMEONE HELP!!!!

Use alot of minor pentatonics and blues?
Quote by Free
Sit down and get into your usual comfortable playing position. Then adjust your strap so that when you stand up the guitar is in the same position as it is when you're sat.

The only difference is that your not bending your legs.

the only prob with that is that i find it uncomfortable, and it looks nerdy :P

and i find that with the guitar that high, picking while standing is somewhat harder.

also, with the guitar high, you are more tempted so stay standing right there not moving or almost. + you can do like 3 times less moves.

but well see how high angus youngs guitar is and how good of a show he can put
So do you wanna look good, or sound good?

If you follow what I said it shouldn't make any difference to how the guitar feels or how you pick. The only difference is that your knees are straight.

With your guitar in the 'correct' position your legs should be able to do whatever they want.

As for Angus, do you think he learnt for 20 years sat down and just stood up one day and did what he does? Like everything 'guitar', practice.
^Who cares if it looks nerdy. You'll be a bigger loser if you suck rather than if you look cool.

Man, it's not all about image you know. But about the comfortability sake, just do whatever you feel most comfortable. Keep playing around with the strap.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
try startin out playin easy songs like iron man caus ur all ovr most of the fret bord in part of the song. then move on the hharder song. i hvce the same problem. can play good sitting down but not standin up.
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
At first, standing while playing the guitar was very difficult for me... but once I went to band practices and was forced to stand i just eventually got used to it... it really doesnt take long, you just need to stand whenever you play, and your wrist will adjust to it. I hope this helped you and i hope you get better at playing standing up!
Guitar(V)asta
Band Name: Breaking The Surface
Check out our PureVolume Account... we should be getting some songs up soon.
I had the exact same problem, and when i asked i got the answer- practice standing up. I hated to hear it but practicing is the best way. Also adjust the strap higher so its closer to your chest, i still wear mine pretty high, it may be preference but it simulates sitting down a little bit and is much easier.
Quote by NOtrab
practice standing up and u will get used to it
...im better sitting down too

agreed, i think evryone is a lil better at playing sitting down, just because its easier to slide your hands up and down the neck.. im starting to learn how to play standing up now too, its difficult
haha im quite opposite. i HATE sitting down. i never sit down and play.
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
For me, the main problem standing up is not soloing or just riffs. My problem is playing first fret barre chords like F. I guess our only solutions are practice and adjusting the height.
Ben
i play with the guitar somewhere around my belly button which is low for alot of people but just is comfortable. depends on your preference. but just practice standing up. whenever you go to play dont even think about sitting.
Guitar(V)asta
Band Name: Breaking The Surface
Check out our PureVolume Account... we should be getting some songs up soon.
yeah im way better sittin down, but just practice alot and it'll come to you
Quote by Ahyoka
Pop goes the weasel...with the casket closed

Quote by Jsteele1408
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Quote by Tastytaco
mmm... if a girl has Tourette's and screams "f*** me!", would that be consent?

PSN: jermstar44