I'm planning on building an AX84 amp, but i'm having a hard time finding 350 volt 47uf capacitors. Would it be all right to use capacitors with slightly less voltage rating?
Not my band, but something you should definitely listen to:
Toast Machine
like 400v instead of 350. is there any way i can like, put two capacitors together to make it have a 47uf/350v rating?
Not my band, but something you should definitely listen to:
Toast Machine
those should work good, you're not putting the full rating on them, so its cool, im pretty sure you cant go under, but over is ok.
Quote by sempri_fi
those should work good, you're not putting the full rating on them, so its cool, im pretty sure you cant go under, but over is ok.

+1. I was under the exact same impression. Other tube amps I've seen use 400v electrolytics, so I'm assuming it's Ok
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
It doesn't have to be the voltage that it's rated for. I just built a few amps off of AX84, I think I used all 500 volt caps for the 350Vs. Do NOT go smaller voltage rating than what they have, you'll blow a cap after awhile.

47uF 500 volt caps are pretty easy to find, mauser.com, newark.com, tubedepot.com, tubesandmore.com should all have them.

And don't try putting two or more together, it gets really nasty. If you put them in parallel, the capacitance doubles (47uf+47uf) to 96uF, but you're still seeing the full 350 volts across both of the caps. If you run them in series, each cap only sees 175 volts, but your total capacitance gets cut in half to 23.5uF, which is probably not enough.

Long story short, now that you've wasted time reading the whole thing, buy something like this: http://www.tubedepot.com/cp-il-47-500v.html
Go over, never under.

If it calls for 350v caps, it means 350v MINIMUM. You can go as high as you like so long as you use the correct cap.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's