Since my little fiasco in another thread, the idea has been kicked around to have a sort of everything and anything weekly theory quiz. I've talked to a couple of the MT regulars, (hereafter affectionately referred to as "The Boyz") and they all seemed into it. Basically, one of us will write a little quiz , 5-10 questions in length about anything we want. Some questions will be open ended, some black and white. Our questions won't correspond to one specific thing, but a little of whatever we know. This will help you broaden your horizons.

After 5 days, the answers will be posted. Then, we can discuss and talk, laugh and cry about the whole thing. Two days later, a new quiz will go up. Huzzah. Simple, like pie without filling.

There will be a bit of a friendly 'scoreboard'. Basically, if you do good, you get recognition and "bragging" rights.

*Note- PM answers to whoever is responsible for the quiz. In this case, PM them to me "nightwind"....

BEGIN!

1) Ah, so if I was to modulate to a different key signature, what is the chord I would want to use to do so?

2) Name this chord

e-2
b-0
g-2
d-1
a-2
e-x

2b) What would it resolve to?

3) Give me a formula for finding the major scale

4) What interval is an E to a C? What if you inverted it?

5 )What could I use a diminished chord for?

6) What degree of the major scale does the relative minor base its's root off of?

7) We are in the key of G, please harmonize this in 9ths

e----------------------
b---------------------
G-------------4----5
D--------2------------
A--3--------------
E----------------

8) What is an authentic cadence?
8b)Give me an example of another cadence.

DO NOT DISCUSS ANSWERS IN THIS THREAD. General discussion/comments/feedback are welcome, but do not, do not post or discuss answers. A warning will be administered for such activities. Deadline for answers is on Monday the 26th
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Yea, I dig that. It's just, the next one won't be ready until about a week from now anyway, so I thought this is agood way to not only start the thing off, but to give those who didn't visit that thread a chance to see it.

Let us know about how many responses you get. If it's popular we might need to figure out something other than pms, since we can only have about 30... (or maybe I just need to organize my pms better).
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Or perhaps they will expand mod's inboxes like we're trying to get... lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
#2 is in another thread, isn't it?
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
It's going pretty well so far - 8 completed ones. Everyone is doing well, maybe I didn't through enough curveballs. The weakest answer for most so far is the diminished chord one, but I feel I may have been too vague in the question. It's cool though, we are all learning.

I do think we will have to perhaps sort out another way. We will see though.

Glad everyone is having geeky fun . It looks like we will be able to maintain this, I already have a couple of 'The Boyz' comitted to their own quizes over the next few weeks. It shouldn't fizzle out too soon.

Awesome, I'm gonna attempt this every week then.
Member #6 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
When it comes to flipping pancakes, it's better than burgers.
I've got an idea for answers, but it relies on peoples' honesty... Have the forum with the questions. Then have a second forum where people post just their answers. They could be right next to each other and you would have to have people be honest not to copy but if it was first one wins then that would not really matter if people copped.
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
^ I had considered something like that, but I just don't think a lot of the people on here would be honest, considering some of the general lack of respect and intellect I have seen.

^Well, MT is generally a respectful place right? And I hope people wouldn't go so far as to cheat just so they can brag on the internet when they could be using this as a learning experience. Whatever, it's up to you, nighty. Good idea by the way

I should start participating in this thing next week!

EDIT: By answering
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Feb 22, 2007,
I don't know some of these, so it would be helpful for a help thingy whatever its called thread.
My question is mainly: What are cadences?
^ That answer thread will come up after 5 days of the quiz being up, so questions such as that can be adressed. This thread is not for discussion of the quiz questions/answers unfortunately.

K well that's alright. I read up on some of the stuff like cadences and inversions, and I must say pretty interesting. You chose your questions wisely. I'd like to see the answers. I'm going to refrain from playing this one since I kind of cheated, looking them up on Wiki.
Ok, I've got a new idea then... The mods could create a special account like quiz_answer_submission w/ what ever password that the mods can pass around so you don't have to fill up your inbox. You would defiantly up the inbox for the account because I think there are a few more than 50 or 100 (not sure which it is) people who will answer.
A guitar is your personality expressed through 6 strings.
^That's going a bit OTT for a small quiz me thinks - you could rely on honesty, but that completely defeats the object if people cheat (and they will, no matter how much you want to believe they won't) - I suggested the PM method because I don't think the quizmaster (rofl) is going to get more than 30 entries before he has a chance to check them over, so receive entry > mark answers > delete PM to free up space.

... and it's not only the mods that are going to be posting quizzes and checking answers.
I like this idea and Ive answered all the questions on a word file, but I dont think Ill send them in. Instead Ill just wait to see the answers
to think this all started from my thread haha

It's a good idea, and I'm gonna take your advice and learn theory. Maybe I'll be back in a few months to take your quiz
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
So, we'll have this and the mini school I'm thinking? Cause I've got some stuff to put up for Sunday.

edit: nevermind. Nightwind and I are both extremely busy this weekend.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Last edited by bluesrocker101 at Feb 25, 2007,