Page 1 of 2
i keep hearing about this 'indie genre', wat the fvck is it? what are some examples/bands that play this genre..what does it sound like, what does it all mean?
independent bands..
Quote by your mom
wow.. ggmIdas is so good in bed
Quote by your dad
basically, ggmIdas can pleasure the ladies better than me.. and he could totally kick my ass
Indie is the genre of all the other bands that weren't good enough to be put in a regular genre.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
It really means bands that are signed to an independent label, but over the past decade or so, its become its own little genre in a way. It's hard to describe, but a few bands would be Pixies, Radiohead, Muse, Bright Eyes, every other band in Britain, etc.
Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, The Subways
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by The Casualty
The Decemberist, Radiohead, and other crap bands.

Ouch.

It used to mean independant bands, but these days anything that's not mainstream and is even remotely experimental is considered Indie for some reason. To be honest, it's a dying scene, much like Hardcore and Emo. It's full of people who think they're smarter than you because they like music that you've never heard of, wear scarves all year round, and ACT like they like to read.

I like a lot of Indie music, but I live without the pretensions.
Poor advice.
muse is pretty sweet though..but the rest, could probably die in a fire...thanks guys.
Quote by Metal-X
Indie is the genre of all the other bands that weren't good enough to be put in a regular genre.

And that is a laugh of disapproval, by the way.

Indie used to mean bands that were signed to independent labels such as Sub-Pop and Matador (although they are hardly independent labels anymore). It now has come to mean a particular sound that can't really be defined.

Example bands (please check them all out):

Animal Collective
Comets On Fire
Pavement
Sonic Youth
Xiu Xiu
personally i would say like old modest mouse and old death cab and like system and station and maybe some samiam (at least from what i've heard, maybe i've got the idea wrong)
Quote by MightyAl
The best way to approach a group of girls is wearing a dirty old trenchcoat with nothing underneath. Open it in slow motion, while making your 'orgasm face', and then run like hell.

]
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

And that is a laugh of disapproval, by the way.

Indie used to mean bands that were signed to independent labels such as Sub-Pop and Matador (although they are hardly independent labels anymore). It now has come to mean a particular sound that can't really be defined.

Example bands (please check them all out):

Animal Collective
Comets On Fire
Pavement
Sonic Youth
Xiu Xiu

he speakes the truth, remember a little band named Nirvana, once upon a time they were "indie" themselves...not very good indie, but they ripped off the whole scence.
Sonic Youth>all of you

Quote by Doolittle

Sonic Youth>all of you

That'll go on my tombstone.

Though they're hardly Indie. Accesible to almost anyone, but just bizzare enough to stay off the radio.
Poor advice.
indie=independent

now it doesnt mean jack
i mean death cab is called indie, and they were on mtv
circa survive, dredg, radiohead(i guess)

to me its bands on independent labels which is what it should be seen as.
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
Quote by Velvet Zeppelin
So there aren't any Pavement fans?

You kiddin?

Perfect sound forever, motherfuckers.
Poor advice.
Quote by soul_power
Arctic Monkeys, Snow Patrol, The Subways

Ew...

That is the lowest of low indie if you were to ask me. But I'm picky in any and all genres of music.
Quote by stellar_legs
Ouch.

It used to mean independant bands, but these days anything that's not mainstream and is even remotely experimental is considered Indie for some reason. To be honest, it's a dying scene, much like Hardcore and Emo. It's full of people who think they're smarter than you because they like music that you've never heard of, wear scarves all year round, and ACT like they like to read.

I like a lot of Indie music, but I live without the pretensions.

Luckily the 'indie scene' isn't big around here. There are a few people who wear scarves (but it is way too hot in California). And no one that I know acts like they like to read (or at least I think so).

As for pretensions: I can be very pretensious when it comes to music. I think that I am very picky. I've boiled it down to the fact that I can't listen to everything and anything because I can't go out and purchase all of the music I want to, so I end up being picky about what I like, otherwise I am wasting money on music that I don't find to be the best music out there. I don't think I choose the music I listen to because I am trying to be pretensious. Although I do act kind of snotty about other people's taste in music. It is something that I try to work on, but I've failed thus far.

There. I'm done justifying the way I act through a guitar forum.
Quote by Velvet Zeppelin
So there aren't any Pavement fans?

Wrong. They're Fucking Righteous.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Ew...

That is the lowest of low indie if you were to ask me.

...Although I do act kind of snotty about other people's taste in music. It is something that I try to work on, but I've failed thus far.

There. I'm done justifying the way I act through a guitar forum.

you bring up the good points

Im not even going to start on how wrong the ideas expressed in this thread are
Quote by Mad Marius
Bush is a good president.

And yes, you HAVE to be drunk to say that with a straight face. And I sure am.

Quote by Garci
Damn, 1.2 billion dollers? Wonder how much that's in dollars
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
If they're expressed toward me, please do. I'd like to know.

ditto
Quote by astonmartin
Im not even going to start on how wrong the ideas expressed in this thread are

do you hapen to wear a scarf?
They say good things come in small packages. You know what else comes in small packages? Unrelenting pain and horror.
no you guys are fine its just when people explain things that they dont understand to people who understand less it gets on my nerves. you 2 had good points
Quote by Mad Marius

Quote by Garci
indie is pretty kickass. its such a widespread genre...

i look all the people hatin on it, and i realize that there taste in music sucks. glad they dont like the same music as me
Quote by astonmartin
no you guys are fine its just when people explain things that they dont understand to people who understand less it gets on my nerves. you 2 had good points

qft

first thing that came to mind when i read this thread
A lot of people that listen to indie music try to act cool because they listen to bands that you, or nobody else has ever heard of, which probably suck anyway.

But as a genre, indie is just a band that doesn't have a major record label, and they have their own studio and record/edit/produce their own music.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I just realized how stupid I sound talking about trying not to be pretensious when I have "Founder of the We Have Better Taste Than You club" in my signature

Yeah, and you turned me down because I didn't have the same identical taste as you

Anyways I care not for the indie genre. Lots of music I listen to is independent and underground, but not 'indie'.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
Yeah, and you turned me down because I didn't have the same identical taste as you

Anyways I care not for the indie genre. Lots of music I listen to is independent and underground, but not 'indie'.

I'm sorry. The club was really a half serious joke. Half serious in that I would actually screen people and let people in and turn people down based on what I thought was good.

Don't take it seriously.
Quote by Arthur Curry

your bulletins are allways entertaining, thanks for that.
Quote by Mad Marius

Quote by Garci
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I'm sorry. The club was really a half serious joke. Half serious in that I would actually screen people and let people in and turn people down based on what I thought was good.

Don't take it seriously.

I know, I was only kidding anyways. It's all good...

Pretty off-topic, but whatever... everytime I go to one of my cd stores they play cool stuff. Once it was Joy Division and the Cure, then it was Radiodread, then DJ Shadow, then Diamanda Galas (I think) and last time was Sonic Youth.

And it's a mainstream shop in a mall too.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I know, I was only kidding anyways. It's all good...

Pretty off-topic, but whatever... everytime I go to one of my cd stores they play cool stuff. Once it was Joy Division and the Cure, then it was Radiodread, then DJ Shadow, then Diamanda Galas (I think) and last time was Sonic Youth.

And it's a mainstream shop in a mall too.

That's cool. Once I heard "Love Will Tear Us Apart" at a store. I was excited at first, but quickly realized that it was a cover by Fallout Boy. It made me sad.
when i think of indie i think of bands that no one's heard of
but thats just me
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
That's cool. Once I heard "Love Will Tear Us Apart" at a store. I was excited at first, but quickly realized that it was a cover by Fallout Boy. It made me sad.

In my hometown, there's an amazing Indie station that's DJ'd by High School and college kids. Each DJ gets a 30 minute block of music where they can play whatever they want.

Last night, in 30 minutes, I heard new Sonic Youth, old Blood Brothers, stuff off of Demestica by Cursive, Daniel Johnston, and Stars.

It's a great station. I'm trying to find out how to be a DJ there.
Poor advice.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus

That cover makes me want to rape grandmas, it's so crap.
Page 1 of 2