So i read about the 21 day speed improvement thing and wondered...does this really work? and if so, can someone clear it up for me? would i simply practice at the speed i know i can play perfect at (for me 88bpm) for the whole 21 days? thanks
From my understanding, it's basically you tkae a certain technique (Like sweep picking) and you work on it a lot every day for 21 days. You'd start at the speed you can play,but you'd gradually increase. I'm sure it works.
Quote by Spamwise
From my understanding, it's basically you tkae a certain technique (Like sweep picking) and you work on it a lot every day for 21 days. You'd start at the speed you can play,but you'd gradually increase. I'm sure it works.

The method I've heard of involves you playing at one speed for 21 days. It is a speed at which you can play perfectly; I don't think you're supposed to speed up.

I've used it for a few things, and it actually has helped. You don't get Instant Results after 21 days: it's not like you'll go from slow to 20 nps clean. But you're building good habits, and if you can be patient and not "push" for speed, then speed will come.

As a side note, my goal is not to be a "shredder"; while I do enjoy the music, I simply don't have the time to work on all the aspects of my technique that I'd like to. I just am trying to improve enough to be able to play some ideas that I like.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
The method I've heard of involves you playing at one speed for 21 days. It is a speed at which you can play perfectly; I don't think you're supposed to speed up.

I've used it for a few things, and it actually has helped. You don't get Instant Results after 21 days: it's not like you'll go from slow to 20 nps clean. But you're building good habits, and if you can be patient and not "push" for speed, then speed will come.

As a side note, my goal is not to be a "shredder"; while I do enjoy the music, I simply don't have the time to work on all the aspects of my technique that I'd like to. I just am trying to improve enough to be able to play some ideas that I like.

I have a similar goal. I want to be able to shred, even if I never used it in a musical context. I simply want to have the skills at my disposal, so if I feel the need, there I go.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172

This link has information on the 21-day program.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Feb 21, 2007,
i dont understand how practicing one speed for 21 days will help. You're not challenging yourself at all.
Quote by Spamwise
i dont understand how practicing one speed for 21 days will help. You're not challenging yourself at all.

It's not about challenging, it's about building up "muscle memory" over a long period, without forming bad habits with tension or sloppy practicing that will utimately slow you down.

Admittedly, it does seem like this would get you nowhere. If you haven't already, check out this thread, where it is explained in more detail: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172

edit: my bad, DaddyTwoFoot posted it already
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
That's the biggest pile of bullshit I have ever heard! Just ****in play and push yourself, dont be a pansy ass bitch, "oooh I cant go up a BPM it hasnt been 21 days!" So retarded.
Quote by POTFORTY2
That's the biggest pile of bullshit I have ever heard! Just ****in play and push yourself, dont be a pansy ass bitch, "oooh I cant go up a BPM it hasnt been 21 days!" So retarded.

Ready psychodelia's above post. It's about developing muscle memory and playing cleanly with ease so you don't develope bad habits constantly pushing for speed. You can push yourself and that's good, but not to the point where it would hurt your playing (imo).
I don't know where the 21 days comes from. There's no magic number and 6 months is better than 21 days, but not playing one speed. I was always implored by teachers who I trusted so much I would grit my teeth when they would be "right", that you should never increase the speed of your scales until you can do the current one flawlessly. I basically agree but I also make the argument that you can learn to play faster by playing faster. DUH!! It ultimately comes down to RELAXATION. If you increase your bpm and your fingers are starting to feel like a giant charliehorse, slow back down and RELAX your fingers and forearm. When you see your favorite guitarist flying over the fingerboard like he's not even touching it its because he's using only the minimum of muscles to fret the note with no extra tension to hold the finger there any longer than it wants to be there.

Practice every day and practice to the point where you're playing as well as you can play and practice in that mode for a while. Thats when you get better. Playing for 15 or 30 minutes, you're just getting warmed up and you've not even gotten as good as you can get so how can you go farther?
You can replace 21 days with whatever you want, as long as it's actually worth it. I was playing that riff Kirk plays in For Whom The Bell Tolls, before the verse riff pretty slowly for a few minutes. What do you know, the day after I tried it and did it flawlessly at the proper speed.

Building proper muscle memory is important. Once you can play it cleanly slowly, the way to play it faster, to get your fingers faster, is to play it faster. Damn finger muscles.