Page 1 of 2
This thread is about how Classic Rock Bands have influenced different bands/artists over the years, as well as yourself. Please remember, you can only discuss how a CR band has influenced an individual. You can't say "Oh the RHCP influenced countless bands of today". They're not CR. Just as a reminder, this forum considers a Classic Rock band CR if they started inbetween 1960 and 1984. But please be realistic with this. Even though bands like Metallica and Judas Priest started before 1984 and had albums out by then, that doesn't necessarily make them CR. You can still list how they have been influenced, but don't say that they are CR themselves. Ok, now rules:

1. No Spamming
One thing I especially don't want to see is someone coming in here and arguing with another user, or saying that a band listed sucks. Even if it's true, it's not in the spirit of the forum.

2. No Flaming
This speaks for itself and goes hand in hand with Rule Number 1. Arguing with another user, or calling them names, is not allowed.

3. Read Below...
This isn't going to be incredibly strict, but respect it anyways... Just because a band started before 1984, that does not make them CR. Yes, Metallica started before 1984, but if you listen to their music, they are not CR. The same goes with a lot of other bands. RHCP, Judas Pirest (they are leaned on a little bit), Motley Crue, etc. Please keep that in ming when posting.

This thread has been approved by BrainDamage, in the Classic Rock Project Discussion Thread.

Okay...So he didn't directly say that it was allowed, but he also didn't say that it wasn't. He just said that I don't need to ask his permission every time I wanted to make a thread.

To recap on what this thread is about, because I wasn't very clear at the top, you can compare any two bands. The band that was the influence has to be CR. You can say that Jimi Hendrix influenced John Frusciante for all I care, as long as it is true. If you are not 100% sure, it's okay too, but try to give sources for stuff if you're not sure.

So, hopefully this will be a good place for discussion. I appreciate you taking the time to read the thread and the rules to the thread, and I hope that you enjoy any time spent in here.

To start off, I'd like to discuss the influence that Led Zeppelin had on Rush. It's a very obvious influence on the first track on their self-titled debut album, "Rush", titled "Finding My Way". The vocals in the intro to the song are very Zeppelin-ish, and the song obviously shows influence. So, discuss. Also feel free to change topic at any time.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Last edited by Page&HammettFan at Feb 22, 2007,
Believe it or not, Zep had some influence on Dave Matthews Band. Towards the end of the Crunge, Plant says something to the effect of "Has Anyone Seen the Bridge?" DMB uses a very funky type song, kinda like The Crunge, called Anyone Seen the Bridge between So Much to Say and Too Much during live shows. A little known fact that I thought would be pretty cool to share.

I agree about Zep's influence on Rush. Though I had never really picked up on the obvious influence in that particular song. Geddy's vocal on some songs are eerily Plant-like. And Peart himself has admitted that Bonham is a large influence in his early stuff.

By the way, just a quick question. Does this have to be about CR bands influencing other CR bands? Because if it does, I apologize for the first topic of my post.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Last edited by Cptbeefheart at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by Cptbeefheart
Believe it or not, Zep had some influence on Dave Matthews Band. Towards the end of the Crunge, Plant says something to the effect of "Has Anyone Seen the Bridge?" DMB uses a very funky type song, kinda like The Crunge, called Anyone Seen the Bridge between So Much to Say and Too Much during live shows. A little known fact that I thought would be pretty cool to share.

Plus, DMB incorporated the outro to Stairway into their version of All Along the Watchtower.

It's very enjoyable, both to listen to and to play.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia
Plus, DMB incorporated the outro to Stairway into their version of All Along the Watchtower.

It's very enjoyable, both to listen to and to play.

That was just a one-off performance. But still one of the best versions they have ever played.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Quote by Cptbeefheart

I agree about Zep's influence on Rush. Though I had never really picked up on the obvious influence in that particular song. Geddy's vocal on some songs are eerily Plant-like. And Peart himself has admitted that Bonham is a large influence in his early stuff.

By the way, just a quick question. Does this have to be about CR bands influencing other CR bands? Because if it does, I apologize for the first topic of my post.

No, the influencing band has to be CR, but you can describe how the band has influenced you as a musician or another band/artist. Instance: Slash was obviously very heavily influenced by Jimmy Page in his style of playing. This was demonstrated by his choice of guitar, where he wore it, his overall stage presence. They are very similar. You could go on for hours. I'll try to make that a bit more clear in my first post though. Sorry for not being more clear.

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Cptbeefheart
That was just a one-off performance. But still on of the best versions they have ever played.

Ha, really? I don't know too much about them, and that was the only version I'd heard. I hear all my DMB through my bassist.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Page&HammettFan
No, the influencing band has to be CR, but you can describe how the band has influenced you as a musician or another band/artist. Instance: Slash was obviously very heavily influenced by Jimmy Page in his style of playing. This was demonstrated by his choice of guitar, where he wore it, his overall stage presence. They are very similar. You could go on for hours. I'll try to make that a bit more clear in my first post though. Sorry for not being more clear.

No problem, this is a great thread. I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

On Wikipedia, also, since we're talking about Zeppelin influence on bands/individual guitarists, it says this on his tapping technique and the influence of where it started:

Quote by Wikipedia
Van Halen has claimed he developed his signature tapping approach after studying the guitar solo from the Led Zeppelin song "Heartbreaker" (played by Jimmy Page):

“ I think I got the idea of tapping watching Jimmy Page do his "Heartbreaker" solo back in 1971. He was doing a pull-off to an open string, and I thought wait a minute, open string ... pull off. I can do that, but what if I use my finger as the nut and move it around ?" ... I just kind of took it and ran with it. ”

Interesting, to say the least (IMO).

Thats pretty cool. I always thought Van Halen tapped because he thought that was what Allan Holdsworth was doing.

I dunno.... Wikipedia may be wrong. I use tapping occasionally to achieve certain tones but it never comes out the way I want to.

Although Jimmy Page played a huge influence on Slash, you can also hear the Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix influences as well. I think that those three guys I just listed were his biggest influences. I think he got the idea of tuning down a half step from Jimi actually.

I read that Slash also got some influence from Jeff Beck....
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
I'm just saying those were the most obvious and what I think were the most influential on him. I'm sure that Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend all played HUGE influence on him.

Here's a quote from Slash about how he was influenced by Aerosmith:

"My big awakening happened when I was fourteen. I'd been trying to get into this older girl's pants for a while, and she finally let me come over to her house. We hung out, smoked some pot and listened to Aerosmith's 'Rocks'. It hit me like a ****ing ton of bricks. I sat there listening to it over and over, and totally blew off this girl. I remember riding my bike back to my grandma's house knowing that my life had changed. Now I identified with something. ... When I was learning to play the guitar, Aerosmith gave me the shove. I identified with Joe Perry's image, both visually and sound-wise. He was streamlined in a way that reminded me of Keith Richards, was always wasted and had a careless guitar style that was really cool. But I was also totally into Brad Whitford's guitar solos, and he had a more direct influence on the way I play than anybody realizes."
I like that second sentence I don't know if that's something that should be in here, but it's funny nonetheless.

Just so you know (thread starter) RHCP were started in 1983. So according to your dates, they are classic rock.
Just let the good times roll.
^ Did you even read the next sentence? Just because they started playing within certain dates doesn't mean that they are classic rock.

I agree with you guys about Slash's influence by the way. But I think that he gets the majority of his influence from Aerosmith's twin leads.

Quote by unconstrained60
Just so you know (thread starter) RHCP were started in 1983. So according to your dates, they are classic rock.

Quote by cptbeefheart
^ Did you even read the next sentence? Just because they started playing within certain dates doesn't mean that they are classic rock.

I agree with you guys about Slash's influence by the way. But I think that he gets the majority of his influence from Aerosmith's twin leads.

Just as a reminder, this forum considers a Classic Rock band CR if they started inbetween 1960 and 1984. But please be realistic with this. Even though bands like Metallica and Judas Priest started before 1984 and had albums out by then, that doesn't necessarily make them CR.

Okay...Like I said... A band may have started before that time period but that doesn't make them necessarily CR. Metallica were both started and had an album out before that end date, but come on, are they CR? No. I wanted to avoid stuff like this. New rule being added.

queen influenced the foo fighters a ton
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
Some of Eddie van Halen's guitar tactics were inspired by Steve Hackett.

There is no dark side of the moon, as a matter of fact, it's all dark.

My last.fm

"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join"
Quote by The_Yoki
Some of Eddie van Halen's guitar tactics were inspired by Steve Hackett.

Were they? I know Hackett did tapping and used a lot of effects, but I've never read an interview where Eddie said he inspired him.
Quote by futurejp
Here's a quote from Slash about how he was influenced by Aerosmith:

"My big awakening happened when I was fourteen. I'd been trying to get into this older girl's pants for a while, and she finally let me come over to her house. We hung out, smoked some pot and listened to Aerosmith's 'Rocks'. It hit me like a ****ing ton of bricks. I sat there listening to it over and over, and totally blew off this girl. I remember riding my bike back to my grandma's house knowing that my life had changed. Now I identified with something. ... When I was learning to play the guitar, Aerosmith gave me the shove. I identified with Joe Perry's image, both visually and sound-wise. He was streamlined in a way that reminded me of Keith Richards, was always wasted and had a careless guitar style that was really cool. But I was also totally into Brad Whitford's guitar solos, and he had a more direct influence on the way I play than anybody realizes."
I was gonna post that Plus that just reassures the fact that Joe Perry is the coolest person alive

My favorite modern band, the Black Crowes, has blaring influences from Classic Rock bands. The two guitar arrangements, open tunings, and heavy slide use point towards bands like the Allman Brothers and Rolling Stones. It is obvious that the Crowes were influenced by these bands because the Crowes do a ton of covers live, many of which include songs by the Allmans, Stones, Neil Young, and Zeppelin, among many others.

EDIT: by the way P&HF, you don't have to be so formal with starting threads.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I see this thread gone on the road anyway..

good to see.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Porl Thompson (The Cure) has been influenced a lot by Led Zeppelin. He was actually kicked out of the band early on because of his flash solo-friendly guitar style which Robert Smith thought didn't fit in with the Cure's style. When he came back he and Boris Williams used to play Zeppelin covers to warm up, but only as long as Robert wasn't in the room because he hated their flash guitar style! Ironically though, Robert Smith was greatly influenced by Hendrix who influenced him to take up guitar, and even did a punk version of Foxy Lady on the their debut album. (I'm not sure how classic rock Nick Drake is seen as) but Smith was also influenced by him, often saying he woul break up the Cure and pursue a solo career based on Drake's minimalist acoustic style.

Well, that's virtually all I know about the Cure's Classic Rock influences!
Eddie Van Halen admitted he got the idea for hand tapping when he was in the toilet the morning after a Kiss concert. That wikipedia citation is wrong.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Sorry BD... I just prefer being more "official" or formal when doing stuff like new threads because I want them to benefit the UG community. In the future I'll just make it and if you like it it'll stay and if you don't then I'll just delete it

I love that the Black Crowes use open tunings and play a lot of slide and stuff. I love that song Twice As Hard by those guys. Their Zeppelin influence must have been pretty large for them to do an album with Jimmy Page too They confused the crap out of me the first few times I heard them because I didn't know who they were and that they were a '90s band. I originally thought that they were CR

If you like Neil Young and hard rock, you absolutely need to check out Dinosaur Jr, who were pretty influenced by him.

It's got the good songs, ferociously sloppy yet still enjoyable guitar solos, and the bad singing to boot. Just with a lot of energy and feedback.

Think Nirvana, only better, with (good) solos.
^^ooo sounds interesting. I'll have to check them out
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
Quote by psychodelia
If you like Neil Young and hard rock, you absolutely need to check out Dinosaur Jr, who were pretty influenced by him.

It's got the good songs, ferociously sloppy yet still enjoyable guitar solos, and the bad singing to boot. Just with a lot of energy and feedback.

Think Nirvana, only better, with (good) solos.

Who were influenced by the Cure Have you heard their cover of Just Like Heaven?

Back on topic I missed a huge thing about Porl Thompson! He actually played with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant on one of their tours!

You guys might of noticed I'm kind of obsessed with the Cure
Yes. That cover is awesome.

And the Cure makes me think of that part in The Wedding Singer when he sings the song about his girlfriend breaking up with him.. "Ok, I'm just going to warn you that when I wrote this song I was listening to the Cure a lot."
Quote by Derigiberble
Eddie Van Halen admitted he got the idea for hand tapping when he was in the toilet the morning after a Kiss concert. That wikipedia citation is wrong.

Err... Thanks for (making me look stupid!) that...

Thanks for clearing it up though. I figured that might be wrong.

watch this guy PLEASE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FykbQ81oOfQ his idol i guess is freddie mercury and man after listening to him i believe it!
QUEEN+PAUL RODGERS 3/10/06
roger waters 9/8/06
the who 9/16/06
eric clapton 10/03/06
the who 12/2/06
Mika 6/13/07
Rush 6/27/07
Roger waters 7/10/07
Elton John 3/??/08
The Who 10/24/08
Iron Maiden 04/02/09
Iron Maiden 07/12/10
His singing style is somewhat similar to Freddies'.

I caught a glimpse of some music honors show, with Judas Priest in it, and I saw at the end of one of their songs("Breaking The Law" maybe?), Rob Halford crossed Downing and Tipton's guitars and rubbed the necks together, creating a cool ass sound effect, which was made famous(possibly invented) by Blue Oyster Cult. During one of BOC's songs, the two guitarists(Buck Dharma and Eric Bloom) would take their guitars by the body and have a "sword fight" with their guitars, while producing the effect. A great example of this can be seen on the brand new Some Enchanted Evening CD/DVD remaster, on the DVD during "Born To Be Wild."
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'
I heard Eddie Van Halen's influence was Eric Clapton
so is my influence too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I dunno.... Wikipedia may be wrong. I use tapping occasionally to achieve certain tones but it never comes out the way I want to.

Although Jimmy Page played a huge influence on Slash, you can also hear the Van Halen and Jimi Hendrix influences as well. I think that those three guys I just listed were his biggest influences. I think he got the idea of tuning down a half step from Jimi actually.

Slash says himself, his biggest influence was Hendrix. He covers countless Hendrix tunes and is also one of (if not my #1) favorite guitar players and I've built my style mainly around him, Clapton and Page.
His biggest as far as music may have been, but as far as presenting himself on stage with his image and parts of his style, Page seems to be a tremendous influence. There's part of the Welcome to the Jungle first solo (not the lick in the intro) that reminds me of Jimmy Page, and is even more fueled during the video. But alot of his style was also influenced by Hendrix. But he had tons of influences, and you could sit all day and discuss how they've all influenced him.

Since this thread is also open to discussion about how you have been influenced by CR artists/guitarists, I'd like to start the discussion on the two biggest influences (so far) on my music/playing: they are Jimmy Page and Alex Lifeson. I comp a lot of my style off of the both of them, and I've used a lot of chords that I've learned from playing their music. Jimmy Page is the really big influence on my songwriting, and Lifeson is the biggest on the ideas I have for using effects. I constantly learn from listening to both of them. It's hard to say who has influenced my soloing style the most though... I think it's close to a tie, but I've only recently discovered Lifeson, whereas I've been listening to Page for about a year now. So, maybe you guys could discuss influences that these guys have had on you, and maybe some more people too?

Page is my biggest influence. I incorporate his style insome of the things i play and write.
Another of my big influences is Andy Fraser. His bass playing and soloing encourage me to solo when i play live.
As weird and impossible as this may sound, and I don't play bass, but Geddy Lees' (Rush) bass playing has inspired me in some ways on guitar. He's so fast and such an incredible musician, plus on songs like La Villa Strangiato he plays the bass line in one part that can not have been very fun, while Alex (Lifeson, Rush) does this big jam.

i htink im gonna have to listen to some Rush, I've only heard a small part of a song on Planet Rock.
Page 1 of 2