Page 1 of 2
ok so I'm talking to my friend about the different types of music, and someone mentions rap and hip-hop. Apparantly hip-hop and rap aren't even suppose to be apart of any music scene. techniqually its a form of poetry, just with a repetive beat in the back, No melody, and the fact that it doesn't adhere to any music basics. So I don't know... By popular demand the public made rap and hip-hop a form of music... so is it?
My Gear:
epiphone les paul cusom, Limited edition. evo dimarzio pick ups
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
yes
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
so rap is music not poetry?
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Totally is. Who ever said that just doesn't know anything about it. Which is why they have the skewed image of it.

Edit: And saying rap either has to be music or poetry is stupid. That's like saying the Doors aren't music because Jim Morrison was a poet. Things can be both. Unless it's some sort of metal, usually most lyrics are poetry.
if they are so different then what is the difference between them?
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
poetry is just an aspect of music....i could read the lyrics to a song at a poetry reading, and if there was no instrumentation in the background then it would be poetry. If there was no instrumentation in rap, then yes it would be poetry, however there are rhythmic beats that accent the lyrical content which transcends it from poetry to music.
Yeah, check out The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, and ****ing Run-DMC to better understand what rap is/was/should be.
Rap, seemingly, stands for rhythm and poetry; Generally, the latter is a little lacking in substance.
Quote by crazydiamond73
You, my friend, are a genius.
Last edited by Voodoo_Chile42 at Feb 21, 2007,
If you really wanted to be an ass, you would say that Rap is not a genre, but one of the elements of Hip-Hop.

Edit: If you really want to understand what hip-hop is, watch the movie "Scratch"
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by n0selfesteem
Yeah, check out The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, and ****ing Run-DMC to better understand what rap is/was/should be.

no i totally agree, thats what it should be... but its not... atleast by todays standards. I don't know... Art is a form of poetry because its expression right? so is music and dance and all that mumbo jumbo but I'm trying to grab the concept of the situation here... so one more time someone explain to me but with intreciate detail. Much Appreciated
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Voodoo_Chile42
Rap, seemingly, stands for rythm and poetry; Generally, the latter is a little lacking in substance.
And spelled incorrectly quite often.

Yes, it's music, get over it.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Yep just bad music as a general rule. Some older rap is good though.
Quote by kauff
i could take a few hundered...my mom does daycare so i know how to take of them....ill just tell them the truth about santa, the easterbunny, and that their parents are dead
Quote by merfsullivan
Edit: And saying rap either has to be music or poetry is stupid. That's like saying the Doors aren't music because Jim Morrison was a poet. Things can be both. Unless it's some sort of metal, usually most lyrics are poetry.

I find that completely in correct.
The poetry vs. lyrics/singing seems to me
To be of no consequense (sp?) when considering
Its significance or role in the music,
They can be used interchangeably.

However, what makes The Doors music
Is the instruments.
Because they take up the melody,
Which would be nonexistant
If Jim wasn't simply reciting poetry.

If the doors had no instruments,
Or simply and beat and/or percussionist.
They would indeed not be music.
They would be a form of rap,
Which is not music
Because there is no melody.
CTHC
Quote by MuffinMan
And spelled incorrectly quite often.

typo.
Quote by crazydiamond73
You, my friend, are a genius.
Quote by BreakingTheGirl

Is the instruments.

Which is not music

ok this is like, very well said bro
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by BreakingTheGirl

Is the instruments.

Which is not music

Music doesn't have to have melody. By definition, music is an organized series of sound.
yeah..it has a time signature and it makes noise, it's music.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
"Music doesn't have to have melody. By definition, music is an organized series of sound."
-Big Ass Wok

doesn't that create a melody though?
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by calebrocker
yeah..it has a time signature and it makes noise, it's music.

it doesn't even need a time signature. As long as someone had the intent of arranging a series of sounds with artistic purposes, it's music.
mu·sic /ˈmyuzɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[myoo-zik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.
2. the tones or sounds employed, occurring in single line (melody) or multiple lines (harmony), and sounded or to be sounded by one or more voices or instruments, or both.
3. musical work or compositions for singing or playing.
4. the written or printed score of a musical composition.
5. such scores collectively.
6. any sweet, pleasing, or harmonious sounds or sound: the music of the waves.
7. appreciation of or responsiveness to musical sounds or harmonies: Music was in his very soul.
8. Fox Hunting. the cry of the hounds.
—Idiom9. face the music, to meet, take, or accept the consequences of one's mistakes, actions, etc.: He's squandered his money and now he's got to face the music.

from dictionary.com

anyway, everything has a time signature.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
to me if it has a beat its music

even if its mainstream crap its music

Underground Hip-Hop is accualy good I like it
If looks could kill, my charm will scatter faceless dead bodies, everywhere
Quote by Hart_Attack
"Music doesn't have to have melody. By definition, music is an organized series of sound."
-Big Ass Wok

doesn't that create a melody though?

...wow how dense can you get?

Take percussion instruments for example. They don't make melodies. They make percussive sounds.
Quote by calebrocker
from dictionary.com

anyway, everything has a time signature.

there is such thing as free time.

Take Freedom Jazz Dance for example.
and free time is a type of time signature.
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Big Ass Wok
...wow how dense can you get?

Take percussion instruments for example. They don't make melodies. They make percussive sounds.

so we can not hum a drum solo or the way kids hit pots and pans, i mean if you can hum it isn't it a melody? if your gettin' so butt hurt about me not thinking like you, maybe you should get a reality check, not everyone thinks like you. Which is why I'm asking this question.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Hart_Attack
so we can not hum a drum solo or the way kids hit pots and pans, i mean if you can hum it isn't it a melody?

.....I've never heard anyone hum a drum solo. Maybe because the sound property of a drum makes it physically impossible to imitate by humming.

if your gettin' so butt hurt about me not thinking like you, maybe you should get a reality check, not everyone thinks like you. Which is why I'm asking this question.
This is true. Not everyone uses common logics, unfortunately. This is why people like you ask stupid questions.
Quote by Hart_Attack
so we can not hum a drum solo or the way kids hit pots and pans, i mean if you can hum it isn't it a melody? if your gettin' so butt hurt about me not thinking like you, maybe you should get a reality check, not everyone thinks like you. Which is why I'm asking this question.

only chimes, timpani, xylophone, and glockenshpeil can make actual notes. i took music first trimester, but i can't remember the names of percussion instruments that make notes, and ones that don't.

edit: definate and indefinate pitch
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by Big Ass Wok
.....I've never heard anyone hum a drum solo. Maybe because the sound property of a drum makes it physically impossible to imitate by humming.

This is true. Not everyone uses common logics, unfortunately. This is why people like you ask stupid questions.

ok then, plz describe to me in your expert opinion whether or not rap is music or just poetry, because i'm so stupid and apparantly you graduated from the top music school there is.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by Hart_Attack
ok then, plz describe to me in your expert opinion whether or not rap is music or just poetry, because i'm so stupid and apparantly you graduated from the top music school there is.

Apparently you're a mongoloid:
Quote by Big Ass Wok
Music doesn't have to have melody. By definition, music is an organized series of sound.

And to officially shut you up:

You acknowledged that any arranged melody qualifies as music. Most rap HAS melodies in the accompanying background music. Therefore, rap is music. Simple as that.
Last edited by Big Ass Wok at Feb 21, 2007,
ok then, everyone rap is officially music since it is a series of organized sounds. thanks Big Ass Wok

Mongoloid? that sounds like something that would be on World of Warcraft or something of the nature. Interesting use of words kid.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
yeah sure, rap is music. but everything can be music if you want it to be. talking can be music. the sound of the computer keyboard can be music. walking can be music
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by Hart_Attack
ok then, everyone rap is officially music since it is a series of organized sounds. thanks Big Ass Wok

Mongoloid? that sounds like something that would be on World of Warcraft or something of the nature. Interesting use of words kid.

See edit.

Mongoloid is a pseudo-intellectual slang term for retard/person with down syndrome. Yes, I called you a retard.
Quote by calebrocker
yeah sure, rap is music. but everything can be music if you want it to be. talking can be music. the sound of the computer keyboard can be music. walking can be music

No, because those aren't driven by artistic intentions.
if i want them to be, they can
Quote by steven seagull

Quote by convictionless
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Quote by calebrocker

calebrocker you are correct everything is music since everything is a series of organized sounds which creates music. lol that makes K-Fed's career musical.
My Gear:
Parker P-38
epiphone hummingbird
line 6 flextone
crate vtx 120

head full of ideas.
Quote by calebrocker
if i want them to be, they can

Sure, if you used them in context of music, it can be counted as music. But just saying they're music doesn't make them so.
Page 1 of 2