Page 1 of 2
Can't get any more bluesy than this guy. Yet no one seems to talk about him. He's one of the best Blues players of all time, and if any of you have never heard his stuff, I suggest picking up his first three albums, "The Progressive Blues Experiment", "Johnny Winter" (Willie Dixon plays on this one), and "Second Winter".

Discuss Johnny Winter, who, by they way, I'm seeing June 22.
Yes! Johnny Winter is awesome, I found out about him at first by listening to a Jimi Hendrix station on Pandora (Internet Radio). Pretty cool stuff he has, really good slide player too. Pretty cool how he and I share the same birthday too (Feb. 23).
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by TheGuitaristMan
The Winter brothers are the two coolest albinos EVER.

True. Followed by Malford Milligan.
If anyone wants to hear johnny winter jamming his balls off live, look up "Live:Johnny Winter And." its one of those albums where you can never get bored of. every solo on it is classic espiecially its my own fault and track 5 (i cant remember what its called). but i agree johnny winter is a greaet player
I've got a few of his albums, and some of the old Edgar/Johnny collabs from the 70's.

I really dig Johnny's playing, but I always found his tone to be really harsh on the ears. And ever since he started using EMGs I cant even listen to him anymore. I really wish he'd pick up the Firebird again.
I saw him performing and actually met him last march (got an autograph ). He played really great but looked like shit. He made Keith Richards look like Zeus.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I hope I can see him when he comes by in July (I believe that's when it is).

Any fans of the album And in here?

you mean "Johnny Winter And..."?
Hey, isn't it Mr. Winter's birthday tomorrow?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by S0ulja23
Hey, isn't it Mr. Winter's birthday tomorrow?

why yes, yes it is. Let's all give take off some of our weight and give it to him, we all know he needs it.
I love Johnny Winter, isn't he on tour at the moment? Hoping to see him in Newcastle, fingers crossed.
Quote by funky.monk
I love Johnny Winter, isn't he on tour at the moment? Hoping to see him in Newcastle, fingers crossed.

Yep he is. I'm seeing June 22nd.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHNNY! All of us here at UG hope you live longer and are sorry that you look 80 when you are only 63. Keep on playin' the blues.
Great player, but I'll be honest and say that I am not a fan of his slide work.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
I think his slide playing is way over the top. It's just too frantic for me.
I actually think he's one of the best slide guitar players there is. "I Love Everybody" is an incredible example of his skill. His signature Dunlop Slide is great.
I love Johnny Winter too! I first heard of him when I recently installed my grandfather's old turntable and stereo system in my room and started listening to my dad's old vinyl records.

Gotta love his self titled one, Second Winter is pretty good too.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Awesome guitar player, and the owner of one of the craziest voices I've ever heard. Long live Johnny!
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Here's a fun drinking game...

Listen to any Johnny Winter live album and take a shot every time he yells "YYEEEEEEEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!"

I would pass out by track three.
I'm looking to get into Johnny, can you give me his 10 best tracks? Cheers.
Rock 'N' Roll Ain't Noise Pollution, Rock 'N' Roll Aint Gonna Die
anyone whos albino and plays the blues has to be amazing
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by redneck_slash

Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl (cover)
Highway 61 Revisited (cover)
I Love Everybody (my personal favorite)
Mean Town Blues
Black Cat Bone
Walkin' Thru The Park (with Muddy Waters)
When You Got A Goof Friend (cover)
Fast Life Rider
Tobacco Road
Hustled Down In Texas

I'd recommend picking up Progressive Blues Experiment
Quote by redneck_slash

The entire Johnny Winter And... album is simply amazing (most notably Guess I'll Go Away and Ain't That A Kindness). However, one of my favorite songs from Johnny is Stone County from Saints & Sinners.
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Jul 18, 2007,
Page 1 of 2