Quote by Dirk Gently
How much are you looking to spend and what amp do you have?

I'll spend anything basically. I mean nothing more than $400 if there even are any that high.

I use a crate amp and a roland right now, but I'm looking to get a marshall halfstack in the future.
Don't waste your time with new pickups if you are using a lower end amp, the difference will be very subtle. Save the cash and put it towards a new amp.
He already said he plans on investing in a new amp, so he's got that covered.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Check out the '69 and Red House models at www.sdpickups.com And you're better off getting 3 single coils and ditching the humbucker.

Ditching the humbucker means he loses potential versatility. Keep the 'bucker, but put something vintage PAF-ey in there.
He should save the money he is willing to invest in pickups and put it towards an amp. The stock pickups couldn't sound THAT bad
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
^ If he's going for *just* a Hendrix-type tone with this guitar, than the "versatility" is a moot point and he should get 3 single coils. He didn't say he's trying to play a lot of different styles.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have a question: Would Emg's fit in the Fender Highway???

@reilly91 go for Fender Custom Shop Pickups! They really sound perfect!
Quote by Dirk Gently
He already said he plans on investing in a new amp, so he's got that covered.

Yes he did say that.

But he said "Marshall Half-stack" Which in my experience usually translates to "OMGZORZ, I'm getin a 1337 marshall stack for only 599 from musicians friend"

Aka: an MG

so threadstarter, my advice is to get a nice amp (not solid state) first. You will probably realize you don't need new pickups, because much more of your tone comes from your amp then your guitar.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^ Haha, true. Which at that point I'd point him to a nice Spider II head

And you also have a point - for that same $600, you can get a Marshall JCM 800 or JCM 900 head used.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Yes. EMG makes single coil-sized pickups.

No, i'm thinking about buying a fender highway and replace the humbucker with emg 81 or whatever! Will this work?
^ Yes, but only if you either run only one pickup or replace all of them with actives. It's more trouble than it's worth trying to mix actives with passives.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by jAzZMataZz
I have a question: Would Emg's fit in the Fender Highway???

@reilly91 go for Fender Custom Shop Pickups! They really sound perfect!

Yeah, EMG humcker/single/single. Could be EMG 85/SA/SA.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?