me and my friend are gonna starta metal band over summer.. it will be my 2nd bass.. im going to get a schecter elite-4 or 5..

ive heard that 5 string is good for metal and stuff but in my spare time im also gonna mess around with some punk stuff.. would a 5 be good for that or should i just stick w/ a 4
"Deaf Be The God Who Was Deaf To Our Prayers"- Heaven Shall Burn
for metal, go for the five. its a lot easier to get octives and cord structure for more complex lines.
well, if you're new, stick to the four string. the only reason a fiver would be good for metal is that you can play lower notes without having to downtune. fact is, it's not magically "easier" to play one genre on a certain bass than to play on another bass, it's your talent that dictates how easy it will be.

on another note, what's wrong with your old bass?
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
personally i hate any bass with more than 4 strings

but thats just me, it could be good for metal
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by myself101
personally i hate any bass with more than 4 strings

any particular reason?
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by t3hrav3n
well, if you're new, stick to the four string. the only reason a fiver would be good for metal is that you can play lower notes without having to downtune. fact is, it's not magically "easier" to play one genre on a certain bass than to play on another bass, it's your talent that dictates how easy it will be.

on another note, what's wrong with your old bass?

the bass i have now is a ibanez that u get from the starter pack.. ive been playing for a little over half a year now and just wanted to "upgrade" i guess

thx for the advice though..
If you already have a 4 string, go with a 5 string.

Or you could just tune down a 4 string.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by t3hrav3n
any particular reason?

i dont think a bass needs anymore than 4 strings and i dont like the look
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
haha, half a year and you're already wanting to upgrade. i suppose i know the feeling, though it was more because of my old guitar being a piece of crap.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by myself101
i dont think a bass needs anymore than 4 strings and i dont like the look

how do you feel about 7-string guitars then? true, you don't really need more strings, but alot of times, a four-string won't cut it and you can only downtune so much. and i understand the looks thing, though a five-string isn't much different than a four, though those 6+ string basses get a bit absurd after a while.
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Quote by t3hrav3n
how do you feel about 7-string guitars then? true, you don't really need more strings, but alot of times, a four-string won't cut it and you can only downtune so much. and i understand the looks thing, though a five-string isn't much different than a four, though those 6+ string basses get a bit absurd after a while.

i dont really like 7 string guitars either

well for me all i need is 4 strings
<//////>~
Quote by t3hrav3n
haha, half a year and you're already wanting to upgrade. i suppose i know the feeling, though it was more because of my old guitar being a piece of crap.

lol well id rather get something that will last me for quite a while now then later.. plus if i get the 5 it will get me used to using the extra string somewhat early..
Yea get the Schecter Stiletto Elite. 5 strings rule man! U can get the low end, or the high end depending how u tune, and can put in some cute arpeggios here & there. GO get the 5 stringer boy!

And about upgrading, well what I prefer is to either buy something good at the start, or upgrade as soon as u can tell the difference b/w quality & poop. 6 months duration is good enough for me, no prob. U might wanna do something about ur amp too if u havent done already. It effects a major chunk of ur tone.
ya know, you could just get the five, and use the B string for your metal stuff, and you can still play punk on the EADG of the 5 string.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
If you are downtuning a lot for metal then buy the 5, if you don't think you will need the extra thing it's only going to get in your way if you don't use it. Schecter are very good though.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
5 string FTW!

I stayed away from using one for ages because I didn't see the need. Then I played a gig (filling in for another band as their bassist broke his wrist) and found it a nightmare having to retune my bass every couple of songs because they played songs in various tunings.
Then one day I was doing my usual 'try every guitar in the shop' routine (even though I only wanted a new set of strings ) and decided to try one out. It took a while to get used to a thicker neck but I soon realised I could play all the down tuned stuff and just skip the low b and play it like a normal bass for other songs.
It was an Ibanez Korn signiture, really good bass IMO (although I don't like Korn as a band much)
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
Get a Chapman stick.

That'll show-em how many strings are needed.

Chapman Grand
AT PURDUE!!! ( I think i'm the only one at Purdue that is on the forums....)

Awesome bands YOU! need to check out: Pain of Salvation, Vision Divine, Angra, Ayreon
That looks like a 12 string guitar with 1 bass string in the middle
Dave Mustain has wrote some of the most amazing solos...
That he can't actually play!
5 string FTW, I have that exact same bass. It's great, and for metal it kicks @$$. Go for it!
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by myself101
i dont really like 7 string guitars either
well for me all i need is 4 strings
Naturaly that's all you need for root bashing, but, some of us play more meaningful basslines and the added string opens up a whole new world as far as flexibility goes.
I played bass for 37 years before moving to a Stingray 5 and G&L L2500.
I never played my 1965 Fender Jazz again.
Don't be blinkered.
Attachments:
Dsc00137.jpg
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn