Page 1 of 2
inspired by synester gate's dad thread. I sent it to him, and we got on the topic of how i thought synester gate's sucked ass and he thought he is the best guitarists ever. He ends up saying that eric clapton couldnt play synester gates stuff. Does anyone else agree with this?

Me (9:06:23 PM): WHY IS SYNESTER GATES SUCH A GOOD GUITARIST?
My Friend (9:07:21 PM): i ask u
My Friend (9:07:28 PM): can u play the beast and the harlot solo
Me (9:07:50 PM): ive never tried
My Friend (9:07:55 PM): well when u get time look at the tab and see if u could
Me (9:08:22 PM): ok, so lets say i cant, then what? that means hes a great guitarist?
My Friend (9:08:20 PM): no
Me (9:08:54 PM): especially given that hes a PRO that has been playing for wayyyyyyyy longer
My Friend (9:09:32 PM): it means he can play fast and honestly not many bands have all they have... like a good drummer who does more then a rock beat, a rythm guitarist who can solo good too, a singer who can sing amazing ly and bass reely doesent matter
Me (9:10:06 PM): ........................
Me (9:10:10 PM): so what if he can play fast?
Me (9:10:12 PM): is that everything
Me (9:10:22 PM): ill name one band who is in the contrary to that
Me (9:10:25 PM): JOHN FOGERTY
Me (9:10:26 PM): THE BEATLES
Me (9:10:38 PM): never heard a fast guitar from them
My Friend (9:12:25 PM): i kno that!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Friend (9:12:37 PM): but not everyone likes slow rythmic stuff
Me (9:12:46 PM): and he doesnt need to play fast
My Friend (9:12:40 PM): ppl like fast
My Friend (9:12:45 PM): dont ask me
My Friend (9:12:48 PM): i'm into bouth
My Friend (9:12:53 PM): but some ppl love fast
Me (9:13:15 PM): but ur saying that if ur fast, that means ur good
My Friend (9:13:34 PM): no
My Friend (9:13:35 PM): well
My Friend (9:13:36 PM): yes and no
My Friend (9:13:38 PM): it can
My Friend (9:13:48 PM): but 2 ppl how dont kno shit about guitar fast is amazing
Me (9:14:36 PM): noit everyone
Me (9:14:43 PM): actually most, people HATE fast
Me (9:14:58 PM): i find it stupid to see if ur can try to light ur fretboard on fire with ur fingers
Me (9:15:13 PM): synester gates can do the same thing in 100 notes, that david gilmour can do with 2
Me (9:15:20 PM): and THATS the truth
My Friend (9:15:19 PM): 2 u
Me (9:15:32 PM): no
Me (9:15:41 PM): http://youtube.com/watch?v=hFKm3AEdG4w
Me (9:15:49 PM): synester gates? better than that?
My Friend (9:15:40 PM): it depends COMPLEETLY on what kind of music u listen too
Me (9:16:19 PM): playing fast is pointless
My Friend (9:16:21 PM): no
My Friend (9:16:22 PM): dude
My Friend (9:16:29 PM): u play plues dominantly
My Friend (9:16:29 PM): so
My Friend (9:16:37 PM): u love slow rythmic
My Friend (9:16:55 PM): but if i find a guy at a slipknot concert he's gonna say fast it better
My Friend (9:16:58 PM): it just depends
Me (9:17:22 PM): and plus, ur probably just listening to the ALBUM, have u ever seen them in person live?
Me (9:17:29 PM): sloppy as hell to what ive seen on videos
Me (9:17:45 PM): synester gates even said himself, it takes him hundreds of tries to play the riffs perfectly
Me (9:17:48 PM): yea...real guitar hero
My Friend (9:17:50 PM): it does
My Friend (9:18:10 PM): yer not gonna take a not perfect thing and recoard it
Me (9:18:22 PM): if he wrote the riff, why cant he play it
My Friend (9:18:23 PM): its extreemly hard and fast
My Friend (9:18:25 PM): and he can play it
Me (9:18:38 PM): hes a pro? cant be too hard
My Friend (9:18:56 PM): i've love 2 see any blues guitarist TRY and learn a solo he wrote
My Friend (9:19:00 PM): and he will mess up live
My Friend (9:19:02 PM): its hard
Me (9:19:18 PM): .............are u kidding me
My Friend (9:19:12 PM): but can u sweep pick
Me (9:19:38 PM): have i ever tried? do i feel its necessary? is it even worth learning?
Me (9:19:47 PM): the answer, no
My Friend (9:19:44 PM): NO
My Friend (9:19:59 PM): IT DEPENDS ON THE MUSIC U WRITE AND LISTEN 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me (9:20:21 PM): then what are u saying
Me (9:20:31 PM): sweep picking wise
Me (9:21:31 PM): ...........
My Friend (9:21:41 PM): its a super hard tecnique to be able to do
My Friend (9:21:51 PM): and its so fast it cant be prefectly clean
My Friend (9:22:09 PM): but i reely think ppl like herman li give a bad name 2 metal and all that
Me (9:22:39 PM): sweep picking is something anyone can learn with time
Me (9:22:57 PM): its not like it seperates the good players from the great ones
My Friend (9:23:25 PM): what does playing slow rythmic stuff?? er being able 2 explode and shread a solo.... IT DEPENDS ON THE MUSIC THEY PLAY
My Friend (9:23:33 PM): ok
My Friend (9:23:50 PM): if synyster gates and eric clapton switched placed music would suck
My Friend (9:23:57 PM): they cant do what eachtoher do
Me (9:24:23 PM): ok, blues, it require you to actually sound clean, you arent messed in a shitload of distortion
My Friend (9:25:16 PM): ok they have more musicianship then a metal guitarist but if u throw clapton in A7X he couldnt do it... and vice versa with synyster gates
Me (9:25:45 PM): i actually do beleive clapton could easily do it
Me (9:26:03 PM): jsut because he doesnt play fast live/on cds
(9:26:06 PM): doesnt mean he CANT
My Friend (9:26:09 PM): wow
My Friend (9:26:14 PM): u think he could do that
My Friend (9:26:31 PM): i guess we wont ever kno cause he wont and it doesent matter
My Friend (9:26:36 PM): u like that i like this
Sounds like your friend wants to butt rape the poor guy, geez.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
The best part was when he said "it's super fast so it can't be perfectly clean".

What he meant was "Its sloppy because they try to play faster than they can"
Sounds fun. Who seriously cares? Let the kid listen to whatever he wants and you listen to whatever you want. You're both idiots and no one cares.
Last edited by Embodiment at Feb 21, 2007,
You DO know that A7x fans aren't always the most annoying ones right?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
I read it all the way through, and besides the fact that you both need grammar lessons, your friend needs to expand his musical horizons.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by andrew12398
You DO know that A7x fans aren't always the most annoying ones right?

Yes, Zep fans are.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Quote by Guitar328

anyways, i see both points, it's all opinion. Not everyone likes more rhythmic stuff, and on the other side, not everyone likes speed...but the point is some people do... so to me, the point is moot.
I'm not a huge fan of Dragonforce and bands that play similarly in style, but I think it's important to see both sides.
k bye.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
all you had to do was bring up jimi hendrix. thats the secret weapon of those arguments.

and thanks now i have a headache from poor grammar. mostly on his part, tell him to learn to spell and type.
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Man, I wasted 5 minutes of my life reading that.

You could have just given us the synopsis, but when you post so much text, it's just too tempting not to read.
I am a breathing Time Machine!
1. What's wrong with Zep?

2. "and bass isn't important"??? Slap him in the face and call his mother a hampster.

-Teh Pat
-Teh Pat

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
One time I picked into my nuts. It hurt and needless to say it really ruined my song.
Quote by Kensai
I read it all the way through, and besides the fact that you both need grammar lessons, your friend needs to expand his musical horizons.

agree!!!!
GEEZUZ!!!!

leave the kid alone....

Go listen to the Wicked End Solo and Play it no you ****ers!
the sweeps perfectly and full speed every note per note

now i know you guys are gonna say that they are stupid and you cant now here is a link to the power tab..

now play that ****ing solo
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/avenged_sevenfold/wicked_end_power_tab.htm
NOW!

now i know he aint the best.. but i happen to love A7X and I Dont go saying He is the greatest

now **** off
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
seriously, i mean im a huge A7x fan adn i love synsyter but theres no way in hell u can even compare him to clapton....ur friends gay!!!

(A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music)

BUY MY DW 7002 DOUBLE BASS PEDAL
Quote by Trevor6
Enough with these threads. No one cares.

i agree 100%

but on the other hand..im a huge avenged sevenfold fan mostly for there first and second albums...the new shits still good but it atracts all posers and those little goth kids who think they know it all because they heard bat country...those little bastids annoy me
Guitars-
Gibson SG Standard
Schecter c1 hellraiser fr (Tremelo-NO)

Amp-
5150 Custom
Marshall 1960a Lead

Effects-
Boss Ns2
EH Holy Stain
Boss Sd2
Ernie Ball Vol Jr
Digitech Digi Delay
Korg Rack Tuner
Furman Power Con
BBE Sonic Max
Quote by Mr. B
i think you sounded dumber than he did in this conversation.
Ditto.
Quote by Schecter4lyfe
seriously, i mean im a huge A7x fan adn i love synsyter but theres no way in hell u can even compare him to clapton....ur friends gay!!!

Or maybe he's straight but has no clue what he's talking about?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
I don't really care if Syn is good or not, and the debate about it has gone on forever. Bottom line for me is that I like Avenged Sevenfold, don't care who knows it, and also don't care that I know many other bands who have "more talented" guitarists.

-Teh Pat
-Teh Pat

Quote by BringMeTheCalm
One time I picked into my nuts. It hurt and needless to say it really ruined my song.
post script...you can not compare brian to clapton...thats just like obsence...but yea i would have deff been like guess what....hendrix...and he would of shut up
Guitars-
Gibson SG Standard
Schecter c1 hellraiser fr (Tremelo-NO)

Amp-
5150 Custom
Marshall 1960a Lead

Effects-
Boss Ns2
EH Holy Stain
Boss Sd2
Ernie Ball Vol Jr
Digitech Digi Delay
Korg Rack Tuner
Furman Power Con
BBE Sonic Max
Wow. You guys need a life. Why can't you accept that fact that Synyster Gates is a good guitarist, just like your friend needs to accept the fact that he's not the best. And some of your points were just as void as him.

"Playing fast is pointless"

That's like saying playing slow is pointless, too. Both have their equal factors in music and genres of music.

Seriously, you guys need to let your musical differences go. He likes one, you like the other. Just because you don't like the music, doesn't mean it's bad music.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
You come off as a closed minded ass toward anything that isn't slow blues than he does as a fanboy.
you should be the one bashing your friend, not us, you're being as ignorant as him, sorry

EDIT: after reading the second half of that boring talk, sometimes your friend sounds more intelligent than you
Last edited by deluxity at Feb 21, 2007,
Quote by Guitar328
inspired by synester gate's dad thread. I sent it to him, and we got on the topic of how i thought synester gate's sucked ass and he thought he is the best guitarists ever. He ends up saying that eric clapton couldnt play synester gates stuff. Does anyone else agree with this?

Me (9:06:23 PM): WHY IS SYNESTER GATES SUCH A GOOD GUITARIST?
My Friend (9:07:21 PM): i ask u
My Friend (9:07:28 PM): can u play the beast and the harlot solo
Me (9:07:50 PM): ive never tried
My Friend (9:07:55 PM): well when u get time look at the tab and see if u could
Me (9:08:22 PM): ok, so lets say i cant, then what? that means hes a great guitarist?
My Friend (9:08:20 PM): no
Me (9:08:54 PM): especially given that hes a PRO that has been playing for wayyyyyyyy longer
My Friend (9:09:32 PM): it means he can play fast and honestly not many bands have all they have... like a good drummer who does more then a rock beat, a rythm guitarist who can solo good too, a singer who can sing amazing ly and bass reely doesent matter
Me (9:10:06 PM): ........................
Me (9:10:10 PM): so what if he can play fast?
Me (9:10:12 PM): is that everything
Me (9:10:38 PM): never heard a fast guitar from them
My Friend (9:12:25 PM): i kno that!!!!!!!!!!!!
My Friend (9:12:37 PM): but not everyone likes slow rythmic stuff
Me (9:12:46 PM): and he doesnt need to play fast
My Friend (9:12:40 PM): ppl like fast
My Friend (9:12:45 PM): dont ask me
My Friend (9:12:48 PM): i'm into bouth
My Friend (9:12:53 PM): but some ppl love fast
Me (9:13:15 PM): but ur saying that if ur fast, that means ur good
My Friend (9:13:34 PM): no
My Friend (9:13:35 PM): well
My Friend (9:13:36 PM): yes and no
My Friend (9:13:38 PM): it can
My Friend (9:13:48 PM): but 2 ppl how dont kno shit about guitar fast is amazing
Me (9:14:36 PM): noit everyone
Me (9:14:43 PM): actually most, people HATE fast
Me (9:14:58 PM): i find it stupid to see if ur can try to light ur fretboard on fire with ur fingers
Me (9:15:13 PM): synester gates can do the same thing in 100 notes, that david gilmour can do with 2
Me (9:15:20 PM): and THATS the truth
My Friend (9:15:19 PM): 2 u
Me (9:15:32 PM): no
Me (9:15:41 PM): http://youtube.com/watch?v=hFKm3AEdG4w
Me (9:15:49 PM): synester gates? better than that?
My Friend (9:15:40 PM): it depends COMPLEETLY on what kind of music u listen too
Me (9:16:19 PM): playing fast is pointless
My Friend (9:16:21 PM): no
My Friend (9:16:22 PM): dude
My Friend (9:16:29 PM): u play plues dominantly
My Friend (9:16:29 PM): so
My Friend (9:16:37 PM): u love slow rythmic
My Friend (9:16:55 PM): but if i find a guy at a slipknot concert he's gonna say fast it better
My Friend (9:16:58 PM): it just depends
Me (9:17:22 PM): and plus, ur probably just listening to the ALBUM, have u ever seen them in person live?
Me (9:17:29 PM): sloppy as hell to what ive seen on videos
Me (9:17:45 PM): synester gates even said himself, it takes him hundreds of tries to play the riffs perfectly
Me (9:17:48 PM): yea...real guitar hero
My Friend (9:17:50 PM): it does
My Friend (9:18:10 PM): yer not gonna take a not perfect thing and recoard it
Me (9:18:22 PM): if he wrote the riff, why cant he play it
My Friend (9:18:23 PM): its extreemly hard and fast
My Friend (9:18:25 PM): and he can play it
Me (9:18:38 PM): hes a pro? cant be too hard
My Friend (9:18:56 PM): i've love 2 see any blues guitarist TRY and learn a solo he wrote
My Friend (9:19:00 PM): and he will mess up live
My Friend (9:19:02 PM): its hard
Me (9:19:18 PM): .............are u kidding me
My Friend (9:19:12 PM): but can u sweep pick
Me (9:19:38 PM): have i ever tried? do i feel its necessary? is it even worth learning?
Me (9:19:47 PM): the answer, no
My Friend (9:19:44 PM): NO
My Friend (9:19:59 PM): IT DEPENDS ON THE MUSIC U WRITE AND LISTEN 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me (9:20:21 PM): then what are u saying
Me (9:20:31 PM): sweep picking wise
Me (9:21:31 PM): ...........
My Friend (9:21:41 PM): its a super hard tecnique to be able to do
My Friend (9:21:51 PM): and its so fast it cant be prefectly clean
My Friend (9:22:09 PM): but i reely think ppl like herman li give a bad name 2 metal and all that
Me (9:22:39 PM): sweep picking is something anyone can learn with time
Me (9:22:57 PM): its not like it seperates the good players from the great ones
My Friend (9:23:25 PM): what does playing slow rythmic stuff?? er being able 2 explode and shread a solo.... IT DEPENDS ON THE MUSIC THEY PLAY
My Friend (9:23:33 PM): ok
My Friend (9:23:50 PM): if synyster gates and eric clapton switched placed music would suck
My Friend (9:23:57 PM): they cant do what eachtoher do
Me (9:24:23 PM): ok, blues, it require you to actually sound clean, you arent messed in a shitload of distortion
My Friend (9:25:16 PM): ok they have more musicianship then a metal guitarist but if u throw clapton in A7X he couldnt do it... and vice versa with synyster gates
Me (9:25:45 PM): i actually do beleive clapton could easily do it
Me (9:26:03 PM): jsut because he doesnt play fast live/on cds
(9:26:06 PM): doesnt mean he CANT
My Friend (9:26:09 PM): wow
My Friend (9:26:14 PM): u think he could do that
My Friend (9:26:31 PM): i guess we wont ever kno cause he wont and it doesent matter
My Friend (9:26:36 PM): u like that i like this

I don't know if he thought bass is useless or if its useless in that band but either way he is wrong... ok the bass player (Johnny Christ lol) is probably the least needed in that band but bass players in general are always needed for any band that does not have great vox, guitars, and drums
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
I don't know if he thought bass is useless or if its useless in that band but either way he is wrong... ok the bass player (Johnny Christ lol) is probably the least needed in that band but bass players in general are always needed for any band that does not have great vox, guitars, and drums

the problem it's that bass it's not as influential and popular as guitar,
Quote by CowboyUp
You come off as a closed minded ass toward anything that isn't slow blues than he does as a fanboy.

+1
Quote by deluxity
the problem it's that bass it's not as influential and popular as guitar,

While it may not be as popular, I think it's just as important as guitar. In my band, we didn't have a bassist for a few months, and we thought we sounded good, but when we got that bass in there, it just sounded so much bigger and fuller. I think that in order to be a true guitarist, you need to see the importance of the other instruments as well, and not just tunnel vision to yourself being the center of attention.

Edit: I just re-read that, and it really didn't have any relevance to this thread, or what anyone has said.

Pfft, screw this. I'm going to bed.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
He seems much less of a fan-boy than you. He made plenty of valid points. Trying to compare a good blues guitarist to a good metal guitarist is like trying to compare apples and oranges. There similar, yet different in so many way. BTW, learn to support your arguments, all i heard from you were childish come backs... you fail.
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
your both ****in stupid, and a bass is hella important. and yes clapton is better and yes syn's is sloppy as hell when he does his solo's but the point of clapton is a master of blues, which is much harder then imo cause it takes soul, and a7x's music is about the energy that their music gives you which is what metal bands do. He does his thing you do yours.
www.myspace.com/thestalkingbutlers

Holy Knight of the Crusading Order of the Stratocaster.

Gear:
MIA Fender Stratocaster
MIA Fender Telecaster
MI? Fender TC-90

Fender Hot Rod Deville
Blackstar HT5, HT40

various pedals
Lol who gives a shit? i love him , hes hot , he can play well... what else do you need?? youve got to let him have HIS opinion... everyone has a different one.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
I think your friend sounds mores reasonable than you. I didn't see him saying that Synester Gates was the best guitarist at all. I agree with him saying that it all depends on your individual taste. I think you were being the asshole trying to bash him for liking a guitarist that can be sloppy at times. And someone said that he was gay because he was comparing Syn Gates to Clapton. I don't think the kid meant to compare them skill wise. I think he meant that if they switched places they would be in bands that are not their style making them sound bad, thus making them not able to play each other's style. Sure Clapton is capable of playing A7X's style if he wanted to and SO can Synester Gates play Clapton's style if he wanted to. Hell any guitarist is capable of playing anything if they devote enough time and effort to it.
Quote by Masamune
I think your friend sounds mores reasonable than you. I didn't see him saying that Synester Gates was the best guitarist at all. I agree with him saying that it all depends on your individual taste. I think you were being the asshole trying to bash him for liking a guitarist that can be sloppy at times. And someone said that he was gay because he was comparing Syn Gates to Clapton. I don't think the kid meant to compare them skill wise. I think he meant that if they switched places they would be in bands that are not their style making them sound bad, thus making them not able to play each other's style. Sure Clapton is capable of playing A7X's style if he wanted to and SO can Synester Gates play Clapton's style if he wanted to. Hell any guitarist is capable of playing anything if they devote enough time and effort to it.

well fucken' said!
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
ehh, i dunno about this argument

I think that eric clapton is wayyyyyyy better than synester gates

You both brought up valid points and you both brought up stupid ones, i do agree on the david gilmour thing, the distortion is a good point aswell, and the fact that playing fast means shit if you dont have melody

i dunno, i wanna say your friend is a dumbass, but he is a little more reasonable than you
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Ha, something similair happened to me with my friend last night.
He started listening to Megadeth and said they blow.
I asked whos better, and guess his response....A7X of course.
He said M. Shadows is a much better singer and than Dave Mustaine (in my opinion, I prefer Mustaine) and that their guitarists were better than anything by 'Deth.
Page 1 of 2