The last thread kind of died and this is a band that i believe deserves a good thread. My friend (garden of grey) turned me onto them and im pretty sure all of you have heard of them.

discuss.
Quote by Bmm386
"I cut my own penis off and ate it"

pinkowitz.net - another /b/ forum (help it grow)
Love me' have been with them for years. My favorite has to be Vs. the World though.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
yeah a couple of my friends saw them, gojira, and cob kind of on a whim and didnt call me. needless to say, i was upset. (but im not gonna lie, I didnt know about AA before that concert)

in the pursuit of vikings is so classic. and i love all the music videos with the shirtless singer. (he is a tub)
Quote by Bmm386

Amazing band. I prefer With Oden On Our Side and Once Sent From The Golden Hall at the moment. In the middle of Cry of the Blackbird I hear a very Dissection-esque moment, at 1:30 and 1:40. Good song. Prediction Of Warfare is great too, it could fit a LotR marching scene perfectly.
Ive never heard them but sounds like i have to go have a listen to them. What type of metal are they?
Quote by codswollip1
Ive never heard them but sounds like i have to go have a listen to them. What type of metal are they?

just straight up metal. they might be considered viking metal.
speaking of vikings, runes to my memory i pretty epic as well, and has some pretty nice drumming
Quote by Bmm386

Acutally, it's more of a melodic death metal band w/ viking influences in the lyrics. Viking metal is more Moonsorrow, Finntroll, etc.
Quote by I,Voyager
Acutally, it's more of a melodic death metal band w/ viking influences in the lyrics. Viking metal is more Moonsorrow, Finntroll, etc.
No.

Viking metal simply refers to the lyrical content of a band.

Finntroll = folk metal, and they also = viking metal.
Amon Amarth = melodic death metal, and they also = viking metal.
hey im really gettin into amon amarth but what r some must have songs?
IF YOU WANT PEACE PREPARE FOR WAR!!

R.I.P. Dimebag Darrell

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by <><
No.

Well said.

Things like gore and viking metal are purely lyrical classifications. The band is still in a regular sub genre
Quote by <><
No.

You can't have an entire genre based on lyrics. And viking metal / folk metal aren't that different. Here's a definition, not that it means much:

Viking Metal

Musically, several bands in the Viking genre sound like black metal bands on the surface, but the lyrical subject is different, and moreover there is usually more of a rousing, anthemic chorus element not found in black metal. Traditional Norse melodies often find their way into Viking metal songs, which can at times relate this genre to folk metal.
Quote by I,Voyager

Musically, several bands in the Viking genre sound like black metal bands on the surface, but the lyrical subject is different, and moreover there is usually more of a rousing, anthemic chorus element not found in black metal. Traditional Norse melodies often find their way into Viking metal songs, which can at times relate this genre to folk metal.

that entire definition is talkin about the lyrics
Quote by Bmm386

Quote by antoniobanderas
that entire definition is talkin about the lyrics

"That entire definition"? Did you even read it? But the def'n doesn't really matter. The end the term "viking metal" is pretty up in the air.
Quote by I,Voyager
"That entire definition"? Did you even read it? But the def'n doesn't really matter. The end the term "viking metal" is pretty up in the air.

this is agreed
viking metal can be based on lyrical content or as a musical genre
Quote by Bmm386

Who cares. They still own almost all melodeath out there.

With Oden On Our Side is better IMO just due to the amazing production. Once Sent From The Golden Hall has some moments that amaze me (Victorious March intro).

As for good songs:

Death in Fire
Victorious March
Pursuit of Vikings
Across the Rainbow Bridge
Cry of the Black Birds
Valhall Awaits Me
Gods of War Arise
Runes to my Memory

(I haven't really listened to The Crusher that much...)
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

I got the songs Legend, Victorious March and The Beheading Of A King and i must say I like what I hear.