I own a Music Man 50RD, that is 50w obviously. And when I played it through a Marshall 4x12 IMO it was loud as could be. In the shop I never took it above 4 on the clean.

Anyway on to my question, it is not an entirely tube amp. Only the power amp is tubes, and they are 2x6L6's. So as far as how loud my amp is, and the characteristics of it, how is my amp acting, like a tube or SS? I thought it could be consider a 'hybrid scheme amp' but on this forum I get the impression that an amp is considered to be a 'hybrid' only if the pre-amp is tube and not the power amp.
It's a hybrid, for lack of a better word. You could call it an SS pre tube amp, but....it's a hybrid.
Quote by Roc8995
It's a hybrid, for lack of a better word. You could call it an SS pre tube amp, but....it's a hybrid.

But what does it sound closer to? And loudness comparatively?
It will be as loud as a tube amp, since the power section is tube.

Not sure about which one it's closer in sound to, it will sound more SS if you use an OD ( since that's the preamp getting hit), but with the master volume up and the power section working, it's more tube.
Quote by Roc8995
It will be as loud as a tube amp, since the power section is tube.

Not sure about which one it's closer in sound to, it will sound more SS if you use an OD ( since that's the preamp getting hit), but with the master volume up and the power section working, it's more tube.

Ok, and thanks, I'm planning on running it on the clean channel and using a processor for the distortion/gain
Quote by Roc8995
One last thing- Fuchs audio mods Music Man amps into dumble clones- they sound fantastic, but they won't be doing the mods much longer. Might be something to look into if you want:

http://www.fuchsaudiotechnology.com/html/modifications.html

wow, thanks, where did you ever find out about that?

anyway, i was actually thinking of saving money [for years probably] to get something like a mesa, do you think i should spend money on that, or just put it towards the mesa [or other high quality amp]? Considering i'm lookin at $1000 for that
The Fuchs mod is 1k but it's probably the best amp you'll play for anywhere near that price. A new ODS from Fuchs will cost you $2500- which is the same amp you're getting for less than half of that (I don't think a speaker change is included, but for $100 you can do it yourself).
i'll probably just hang on to what i got, and save my money, its a lot to put into a Music Man
Those Music Man amps are awesome; easily the best hybrid's I've ever played.

It is definitely considered a hybrid, but I'd say it has more tube-like characteristics than SS characteristics. Hold on to that amp, it's a great find.
Quote by mr_hankey
Those Music Man amps are awesome; easily the best hybrid's I've ever played.

It is definitely considered a hybrid, but I'd say it has more tube-like characteristics than SS characteristics. Hold on to that amp, it's a great find.

Thanks, I got it for about $225 and from a guy who definitely babied it. I'm just hoping its got good tone, thats mainly what i'm interested in. I've heard a lot of people say the don't like the distortion on the amps, but I do hear good things about the clean being better than fender. Don't know how accurate it is because I've hardly every played fender amps.