I'd like to improve my picking and tremelo picking speed, what are some good songs? (no eruption please) I'll take any classic rock, NWOBHM or anything like that.
the chromatic scale
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
Run Through the major scale in a key of your choice, I find that enjoyable to do (well its more entertaining than the chromatic scale)
i don't know about tremlo picking, i just started doing it one day, but for string skipping... sweet child o' mine is really good
(sorry if that's not what you were looking for)
Dick Dale's version of Miserlou was what got me started and Vision of Division by the strokes really honed it for me.
well if you want speed and accuracy i suggest '****ing hostile' by pantera. thats a killer quick song and will definately build your chops. i recommend if you're trying to build speed up to that degree perhaps get the guitar pro version and play along at a comfy tempo to start with and build your way up.
I don't know what level player you are,
but try some of Zeppelin's tunes.

Also, Alice's Restaurant by Arlo Guthrie.

Also Classical Gas.

And if you're up for it, House of the Rising Sun
"Calling her a ***** for lame shows isn't exactly the most romantic thing in the world. Seriously buddy, try not to be so cute and funny, and just try to be romantic, because this is garbage.
I'd probably take a small amount of offense to this if I cared about being Jewish, but I don't.

Good intentions yeah, but expect either your heart to broken, or a slap in the face, because this song will end in disaster."
I'd go with anything by the Ventures. Just about every one of their song works well as a picking excercise.
Solo - Kiss - "Love Gun" its basically the pentatonic scale from 11th fret.

If chord playing - U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday has a nice variation on d-chord with some picking.
always in the poo, only the depth changes
For string skipping try 'Street Spirit (Fade Out) by Radiohead. It's not incredibly fast, but it takes some time to get the pikcing down accuratley.
Paganini's 5th caprice. Great song for that and quite impressive too.
I have nothing to put in here.
Stuff off Metallica's early albums, Kill 'em All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
Stuff off Metallica's early albums, Kill 'em All, Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning.

When I was starting out, every other friend/guitarist told me to practise Master of Pupperts. It really helps in building your chops!
You simply MUST check out my music on
Reverbnation Downloads available here
Myspace Streaming Only

Especially for fans of Tool, APC, Avant-Garde, Ambient music, rock instrumentals, and fans of music in general. Will not disappoint.
Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss is the greatest picking etude I can think of.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
malmsteen
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
The best string skipper, Paul Gilbert. Just download Guitar Pro and upload his songs and you'll be set. If theyre too fast, you can down the tempo
Mesa Boogie 4x12 v30
Mesa Boogie 2x12 v30
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec

Mexican Strat
*Suggests for new guitar? PRS?
*New pickups as well? HumBuckers?
Quote by Righteous
Paganini's 5th caprice. Great song for that and quite impressive too.

Right on.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by klysandral
Dick Dale's version of Miserlou was what got me started and Vision of Division by the strokes really honed it for me.

miserlou is ****ing fun to play on guitar hero 2!
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

The Glass prison, the arpeggio section near the beginning. Alternate pick that. Also glasgow kiss by john petrucci. John petrucci is godlike at picking. So is paul gibert. Anything by them will improve your picking ability
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

The main lick from 'The Red Priest' by joe stump is a beast! Great pedal note neo classical guitar at its best in my humble opinion:-)