Page 1 of 4
Share your stories here. My best friend of 6 years had DID (disassociative identity disorder, more commonly known as having multiple personalities). The more I got to know her, the more I noticed all her personalities and how different they all were (she has 8). She got so unpredictable that I told her I didn't want to be friends anymore, in the nicest way I could. It was pretty painful. I just wish she could've been all right: she turned into a slut and a drug addict a few months later.

Does anyone else have a story about knowing someone with a mental disorder?
my grandma worked with mentally disabled people for 40 years before she died. they were some of the kindest and sweetest people you could ever know. so please, no insensitive remarks or flaming. these people don't have any choice and they are really wonderful.

i know this may sound dumb, but come on. for once
Come you masters of war,
You who build the big guns
You who build all the planes
You who build all the bombs
my best friend is a bit on the slow side, no disordered firends for me though.
Quote by drop-dead666
You're a retard, read Scourges posts. There is already a system folder, why do I need a system32.
i knew this kid who was bipolar and lots of times he would skip on his medicine and he beat me up in P.E. once cause i made the team lose in kickball lol... that was one crazy kid
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
my brother is "slow" goes to a special school and stuff. i feel really bad because it's really easy to take advantage of him (in a non-incest/sexual way)
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
no one really. we had a kid at our school die from his disability though. sucks for the families when they die from it.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
Quote by BobDylanGuitar
my grandma worked with mentally disabled people for 40 years before she died. they were some of the kindest and sweetest people you could ever know. so please, no insensitive remarks or flaming. these people don't have any choice and they are really wonderful.

you sound like a sweet guy!

well anyways....im nice to them. It sucks that they are so excluded from the outside world everyone treats them poorly....theres this mentally ill dude in my class everyone hates him. Im nice to him and i dont tease him.
Quote by BobDylanGuitar

i agree entirely...

my little cousin has downs syndrome (sp?), probably the smartest kid ever (creatively speaking)... he loves to paint and draw and he's better than i am and i'm 12 years older...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
my younger brother is batshit crazy. He was on anti-psychotic medication for a while. Got all kinds of OCD stuff.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
One kid that I knew had some problems. He went to a mental hospital a couple of times, but I never actually learned what it was that was wrong with him. The most notably crazy thing that he did was go into the bathroom with a knife threatening to kill himself and the assistant principal (after he came into the bathroom).
my 10 year old cousin is slightly autistic. she is extremely friendly (i know, its wierd for autism) and is creative, but its easy to take advantage of her. she will talk to anybody, so your constantly looking out for her. i would seriously kill anybody that hurt her.
Come you masters of war,
Im Bi Polar
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
My mum has BPD (borderline personality disorder) and depression. She runs around on the streets until the police pick her up and she does stupid stuff she never would when she's on medication.

I've had to put up with it all my life.
PM me for details on Scourge's forum!

Quote by jmag
gangster-dolly, du my new hero.
Quote by capsfan17
Im Bi Polar

bummer
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Nope, but I once delivered a pizza to a house where a dude was living with his retarded brother and his girlfriend, they invited me in for a few beers one night, and honestly, that retarded dude was one of the funniest guys I have ever met...
I'm bi-polar, but I take heavy medicine for it, so its undercontrol, but when you dont take it, and really get into the guitar, damn its awesome'
Being bi polar isnt bad, half of the time its amazing because your in mania, which is a semi euphoric state. But then you go into depression, and it sucks... Im on meds though, so Im balanced
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
The family accross the street from us has a kid who's... Um... I'm not sure, it's not downs syndrome but it looks a bit like it when you see him.

He's got a number of problems. He's slow, he's got severe learning disabilities and some muscular problems. Like he has the whole waving arm thing sometimes, if you know what I mean.

It's sad, because he's about... 12, 13 now I think. But he'll pretty much forever have the mind of a really young child.

I'd hate to be the parent of someone who's disabled like that... it'd be awful. It's so sad...
I didn't have a signature until now.
Theres this girl that twitches her shoulder every few minutes. It scared the shit outta me the first time, I jumped and turned to my friend, I was like WTF WAS THAT!? DID YOU SEE THAT!? IT was pretty funny cuz she looked like a level 3 dwarf, with frizzy hair, small fat and square, and pimples and big eyebrows. She had autism or something
Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me. I don't know if it would be a mental disorder, or psychological problems, or me wanting to feel special, but sometimes I've wanted some bad things to happen to me and my family. Like, sometimes I wish I was in a wheelchair or maybe I'd be happier if I had some big 'tragedy' in my life, like losing a family member or getting kicked out of the house. Maybe I think I'd be happier because I'd get attention that way, but I definitely am not consciously thinking that. Or maybe I think my life will be more significant if something like that happened. I hope it is the latter. I want to go see a psychiatrist, but I don't know how to ask my parents.
Quote by Scourge
I'd hate to be the parent of someone who's disabled like that... it'd be awful. It's so sad...
I think it is incredibly sad too. No one plans on having a baby like that, and when you do I can imagine the disappointment. No matter how much the family ends up loving that child, there would always be some of that disappointment.
Last edited by DorkusMalorkus at Feb 22, 2007,
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me. I don't know if it would be a mental disorder, or psychological problems, or me wanting to feel special, but sometimes I've wanted some bad things to happen to me and my family. Like, sometimes I wish I was in a wheelchair or maybe I'd be happier if I had some big 'tragedy' in my life, like losing a family member or getting kicked out of the house. Maybe I think I'd be happier because I'd get attention that way, but I definitely am not consciously thinking that. Or maybe I think my life will be more significant if something like that happened. I hope it is the latter. I want to go see a psychiatrist, but I don't know how to ask my parents.I think it is incredibly sad too. No one plans on having a baby like that, and when you do I can imagine the disappointment. No matter how much the family ends up loving that child, there would always be some of that disappointment.

Im kind of like that, but weirder. I have fantasies that someone would break into my house or try to rob me or something, or when Im at work taking out the trash, I visualize myself surrounded by zombies and monsters, and that the entire world is like that, and Im the only normal person.
My family's quite odd for that.
My mother and oldest sister have depression, my second oldest sister is/seems to be bi-polar (without meds and whatnot).
On both sides of the family, depression is "consistant", which sucks...
Often times my mother wants me to get "help", she thinks I have depression...
O_o;
My second cousin is schizophrenic as well...Odd family, I know .

-Wahrheit Lied

Edit: DorkusMalorkus and Insideac-
I'm kind of like that as well. I don't want anything bad to happen to my family, but I'm always making up scenarios to compliment the present...It's quite strange.
I need a sig. :O!
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me. I don't know if it would be a mental disorder, or psychological problems, or me wanting to feel special, but sometimes I've wanted some bad things to happen to me and my family. Like, sometimes I wish I was in a wheelchair or maybe I'd be happier if I had some big 'tragedy' in my life, like losing a family member or getting kicked out of the house. Maybe I think I'd be happier because I'd get attention that way, but I definitely am not consciously thinking that. Or maybe I think my life will be more significant if something like that happened. I hope it is the latter. I want to go see a psychiatrist, but I don't know how to ask my parents.I think it is incredibly sad too. No one plans on having a baby like that, and when you do I can imagine the disappointment. No matter how much the family ends up loving that child, there would always be some of that disappointment.

+1 sorta....

I knew a guy in highschool with 2 personalities. He's randomly scream, "Stop it John!" (his name's Nick) when trying to suppress his other side I guess. We never really knew much about him or his condition. He was also a really weird kid. Hed jump into dumpsters and hit his head on things for the hell of it.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Sometimes I think there is something wrong with me. I don't know if it would be a mental disorder, or psychological problems, or me wanting to feel special, but sometimes I've wanted some bad things to happen to me and my family. Like, sometimes I wish I was in a wheelchair or maybe I'd be happier if I had some big 'tragedy' in my life, like losing a family member or getting kicked out of the house. Maybe I think I'd be happier because I'd get attention that way, but I definitely am not consciously thinking that. Or maybe I think my life will be more significant if something like that happened. I hope it is the latter. I want to go see a psychiatrist, but I don't know how to ask my parents.
I used to have that a bit. It was kinda creepy, but yeah.
It was a passing phase though, I grew out of it fortunately. But yeah if you think it's a real problem then there's no harm in talking to someone about it I guess.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
I think it is incredibly sad too. No one plans on having a baby like that, and when you do I can imagine the disappointment. No matter how much the family ends up loving that child, there would always be some of that disappointment.
Yeah, exactly.
I honestly don't know how people could go through with it...
I mean, everyone who has a kid expects them to be perfectly normal and healthy. When they turn out to have severe problems which mean they're going to need someone to look after them at every second for the rest of their life...

These parents, who most likely had plans and dreams for their future and the future of their kids suddenly find all of these dreams crushed, because they now have to look after their disabled child for the rest of their lives. And there's nothing they can really do about it, because even though it's incredibly hard for them and it's completely shaken up their future, they still love the child the same as anyone loves their children.

It'd be absolutely horrible.

I know that what I'd really want to do is get the child inspected while it's still in the womb, to make sure there's no severe problems that can be seen. If there was, I can honestly say that I would want to perform an abortion without second thoughts. Fuck, that would be hard in itself but I really feel that it'd be much better that way.
www.myspace.com/creepingtarantula

I know it might seem like I'm plugging but this actually my autistics friends project, it's not much at the moment but he's got potential. I'm maybe gonna start a band with him some day, it'd be pretty interesting and he's a pretty funny, cool guy
My parents both work in special education. Other than that, I have a couple bipolar friends. My friend once had a severely bipolar girlfriend. When he would sleep at her house, she'd wake up late, and he would already be up, and her mom was really nice, so she would cook him breakfast. She would come in and scream at her mom and yell at her for treating my friend better than her. Then the mom would tell her that her breakfast was done too, and she'd suddenly turn like extremely nice.
I know this girl, she was my friend in high school. I have no idea if she had a multiple personality disorder, but for years she consistantly acted as though she did have one.

Her other personality was Cloud from Final Fantasy. She kept claiming she had Cloud trapped inside her body. Every now and then she would turn into Cloud, and she'd totally change.
I always assumed it was just her mucking around, being an attention seeker (she was a bit strange, and it was the kind of thing she'd do).
But after a while I noticed how strange it really was.

Every time she changed into Cloud you could REALLY notice the difference. She changed her accent, she changed her posture, the way she was acting, the way she moved, etc. Yeah that stuff is all easily acted out, easy to pull off if you want to.
But like, sometimes I'd get into fights with her (play fights, of course) and we'd be wrestling and stuff. She'd be really weak and clumsy and really easy to beat. But sometimes during the fight she'd turn into Cloud and she'd suddenly gain a LOT of strength and it suddenly got really hard to wrestle her and stay steady and everything.

I dunno. It could be pulled off, she could've been pretending the whole thing, I dunno. It's weird, 'cause it's the kind of thing she'd do just to get attention, but she's been doing it consistantly for years with a LOT of difference between her and Cloud. Physical and personality.
I know a lot of people that are depressed, and I'm kind of slow(I was taken out of the womb a month early), I also notice I'm very paranoid. And although I know lots of people claim to have ****ed up thoughts, mine worry me sometime. For example, a lot of the times i think about a chicken. Then, the nerves in the chickens wings die so it can't use them anymore. Then, someone rips one of its legs off, and i just visualize it flailing the stump where its leg use to be until someone cracked its neck. Or, I think about what it would be like to be raped, and in the middle of it have mercury injected into my bloodstream so that I get severe brain damage, and wouldn't be able to fight them off. Most of my suicidal thoughts ended after 15 though. I also have ocd, although it got less bad when I turned 14. Sorry for the long post.
I'm the dream unicorn! The young machetes guide my path through forests of burning orange trees, but protect me from the cloud eating coconut eyed monsters that live in the bushes.
i tried to kill myself once. that was stupid
Come you masters of war,
im really really high, does that count?
Warwick 4-string
not a rockbass
a Warwick
My family has a lot of mental illnesses in it, My grandmother, uncle, and sister are all bi-polar, and i think my cousin is too. My mom and i have slight depression propblems, (mine got pretty bad durin like 9th grade, i ended up startin home schoolin) but I've got it under control now. My aunt on my dad's side has somethin wrong with her, i don't know what but it's kinda obvious. my uncle on my dad's side has like an 8th grade IQ, they think it's becuz he has azthma and when he was younger there were lots of times when he had attacks and had to go to the hospital. one of my cousins on my dad's side obviously has somethin wrong with her, i don't know what but i can just tell somethin ain't right.

I guess my family is pretty crazy huh?
I do indeed know someone with a mental disorder- I see him in the mirror every day!

I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is a form of autism. I found this article on wikipedia that seems to sum it up really well-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger%27s_syndrome

For those of you who can't be bothered to sift through a whole article, here it is summed up in bullet points:

-Narrow interests or preoccupation with a subject to the exclusion of other activities;
-Repetitive behaviors or rituals;
-Peculiarities in speech and language;
-Extensive logical/technical patterns of thought (often compared to the personality traits of the popular Star Trek character, Spock).
-Socially and emotionally inappropriate behavior and interpersonal interaction;
-Problems with nonverbal communication;
-Clumsy and uncoordinated motor movements.

As far as I'm aware a lot of people in music have it- Craig Nichols of The Vines, Katie-Jane Garside of Daisy Chainsaw and Queen Adreena and Gary Numan have it. Creativity is a characteristic of it, and this often leads me to question my abilities as a musician. I mean, if I didn't have AS, would I be as good a guitarist, singer and songwriter as I am?
Page 1 of 4