Hello UG! i was wondering if anyone could help me out. i play electric bass, upright bass, and acoustic guitar. i was wondering what kind of things i can do to impreove my right hand technique, as well as the speed of my fretting hand and technique there as well. thanks for the help
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
practice a ton. Work on learning a lot of scales and chordal patterns and whatnot.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Do those old exercises that travel up 1-2-3-4 on each string, getting faster each time you do it. Also, if you keep playing and push yourself to get faster, you'll notice an improvement. There won't be as much if you play normally, for proper training you have to push yourself harder.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
I find working on scales to be very helpful in building up technique and speed. I recommend learning the shapes for the scales and playing them on your electric and upright too. When you play them, focus on making a good tone and proper technique. The way to play fast is to get everything perfect at slower tempos and then keep getting faster and faster without being sloppy. Try to be able to play alot of what you do on electric on the upright and vise versa. Its kinda of hard sometimes, but I find it can be helpful.
scales and arpeggios with a metronome up and down the neck. Nothing better. Don't increase the speed until you can do it perfect 5 times in a row.
Quote by anarkee
scales and arpeggios with a metronome up and down the neck. Nothing better. Don't increase the speed until you can do it perfect 5 times in a row.

Yeah that's pretty much what I do too.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i understand the speed aspect, i was just wondering about what people mean when they say "john campbell has a sick right hand techique OMG HaXoRz
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.