weird sorta-music recording related question...

sometimes, i mess around with recording random stuff on acid xpress (just to hear how i sound) using my laptop's built in microphone. recently, though, ive had major trouble: normally, sound moves the mic input levels (and if its too loud it goes to red, you all know that hole thing)... but, recently, from the moment i open the program's recording screen, the slider is immediately at red. its not just this program that does this, too.

now, its so bad that i have to check "mute mic" on my laptop's sound settings otherwise my speakers get messed up and all of my laptop's sound is distorted. personally, i think something is wrong with my sound card, but i have no idea how to check that. anyone have any ideas/insight/expertise here? im really not so much the computer type -- at least, in the sound department -- so any help is appreciated. thanks.
"Cause I threw you the obvious
Just to see if theres more behind the
Eyes of a fallen angel
Eyes of a tragedy"

"3 libras" --apc
call those computer geek guys that drive those vw bugs...
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
Quote by x_thurston_x
call those computer geek guys that drive those vw bugs...

The Geek Squad?

The Geek Squad is about as qualified on computers as Orange Chicken with Dim Sum.
hmm, no, see... like, if you go to control panel's sound and audio devices tab and then choose 'test hardware,' i have the same problem. when i test the mic, the level rises right to red, and when i try to adjust the mic's volume, the slider moves by itself right back up to the top... so its not a problem with the program. and i might know more than ****ing geek squad does. i, sadly, bought my laptop from best buy. what a waste, lol
"Cause I threw you the obvious
Just to see if theres more behind the
Eyes of a fallen angel
Eyes of a tragedy"

"3 libras" --apc