Well i was at friends house a while back and we went to jam, i had an acoustic/electric bass and my brand new 100w roland, well it was his new place and i plugged in my amp into the dryer outlet because he failed to mention thats what it was, so it blew out my amp and my acoustic/electric as well, so i returned the amp cuz i had a warranty on it and just used the new bass i got for christmas, is there anyway i can fix my acoustic/electric
How did it blow the guitar?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Hmm... I would suppose it just needs a new pickup, or to repair the old one.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I would take it to the store and ask them to hae a look at it. They'll be able to give you a much more accurate analysis than some people on the internet, and will be able to tell you what to do.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Lol i've never heard of the current running back up the guitar before! Man you're hell lucky you weren't electrocuted. I'd say the pickups could be completely fried, or it could just be one wire that got melted. Either way just take it to ur local guitar doc, make sure you get a quote first!!
Surely, the fuse in the amp would stop any damage to the amp and the guitar? As a legal requirement, electronics must have fuses, which are there to stop things like that from happening.

If not, take it to your guitar shop, have them fix it
The fuse will only stop the current it is meant to stop. if that socket puts out a higher voltage the fuse wont help.
How did you manage to fit it into a dryer socket? Normal three prong connectors aren't nearly big enough for that. A quick question, if it blew your amp, then how do you know it blew your bass too? Have you tried it on another amp? I've never heard of a current traveling back into a guitar and frying anything in it before.
ok well anyway....

swap the battery on the acoustic e. if that doesnt work, then shop around for either a nice no install, pickup.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fishman-PROREP105-Sound-Hole-Acoustic-Bass-Pickup_W0QQitemZ330070908965QQcmdZViewItem

or because u have the hole in ur guitar already, buy a pickup with a preamp. and input.
u can probably just swap it out. depending on the Acoustic e's model.

what's ur budget? what's the model?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 22, 2007,
you're good at spending his money, huh?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
you're good at spending his money, huh?

Says the guy telling him to buy new pups with pre-amps. Tsh, dont waste my time fella. No one here knows what is wrong, and to that end i am advising him to take it in to a store where they will know. He doesnt have to take my advice, but i offer it all the same. Do you have a problem with that, sunbeam?
Equipment that has been "zapped" by incorrect current is nothing to mess with if you aren't skilled at repairs. If you aren't comfortable pulling out the entire guts of your bass and replacing it, take it to a shop. The damage from that kind of voltage is going to be extensive if it affected your bass.

Another way to look at it is that you have to look at the amount of time its going to take you to do the repairs + cost of parts. If you figure a reasonable hourly wage for yourself, and you aren't handy in these types of repairs, it may end up more cost efficient in the end to just take it to the shop and have it done right.
Seriously though.....how did he fit it into a dryer socket!? I mean, it would just seem like common sense to me, dryer sockets are huge, and three prong plug ins are not. It's like those games that babies have with the shapes that drop into the cut-out holes...how can you fail at that?
Quote by Bumper
Seriously though.....how did he fit it into a dryer socket!? I mean, it would just seem like common sense to me, dryer sockets are huge, and three prong plug ins are not. It's like those games that babies have with the shapes that drop into the cut-out holes...how can you fail at that?

Bumper--I used to do computer repair, and you wouldn't believe the amount of square pegs people can force into round holes....
Quote by anarkee
Bumper--I used to do computer repair, and you wouldn't believe the amount of square pegs people can force into round holes....

I know....it just amazes me. How can anyone possibly think that something like that would work? I mean really...
Quote by Applehead
Says the guy telling him to buy new pups with pre-amps. Tsh, dont waste my time fella. No one here knows what is wrong, and to that end i am advising him to take it in to a store where they will know. He doesnt have to take my advice, but i offer it all the same. Do you have a problem with that, sunbeam?

i linked him a $10 pickup.

a pickup swap in an acoustic e. is about as easy a mod as u can get. u cant get zapped or killed from plugging in a new no install pickup. (that's for the other fella)
he specifically asked how he can fix it.

even swapping out for a more expensive preamp set, would be about $50 less than letting the guy do it for u. and would take about 20 mins.

i had no idea the guys in bass section were so skiddish about setting up their gear.

no wonder i switched to guitar 12 years ago.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by anarkee

*shudders*

it still happens
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
it wont let me edit this is but, should he check his battery first or is that a little too over the the top too?

also, sumbeam just happens to be my bfs name for me so thanks
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by jj1565
i linked him a $10 pickup.

a pickup swap in an acoustic e. is about as easy a mod as u can get. u cant get zapped or killed from plugging in a new no install pickup. (that's for the other fella)
he specifically asked how he can fix it.

even swapping out for a more expensive preamp set, would be about $50 less than letting the guy do it for u. and would take about 20 mins.

i had no idea the guys in bass section were so skiddish about setting up their gear.

no wonder i switched to guitar 12 years ago.

Listen mate, this guy just forced an ac adaptor into a plug hole it had no business fitting in to. He clearly has no idea, so in this situation i think it's best he lets someone who knows what they are doing take care of it.

You are comfortable doing mods to your instrument - other people may not be. Would you trust him to do a mod to your guitar after reading his first post?

And did you switch to guitar because it was too hard? Were the strings a bit too thick for you? Ah...bless.
Quote by leftybassdude
is there anyway i can fix my acoustic/electric

just answering his question. guess we can belittle him without knowing all the facts.

suppose if it makes u feel better to think i switched over to guitar, because it was too hard that's fine too. i dont really care.

anything shots, go for it. ill just wait for him to repost so i can help him do what's best in this situation.

i mean i dont really think changing a battery is all that hard but ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

The fuse will only stop the current it is meant to stop. if that socket puts out a higher voltage the fuse wont help.

What kind of bollocks is that? A fuse has set breaking current, whan it's exceeded it blows...if it's 2 milliamps over or 2000 amps it doesn't matter, when it blows the current stops no matter how high it is.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
What kind of bollocks is that? A fuse has set breaking current, whan it's exceeded it blows...if it's 2 milliamps over or 2000 amps it doesn't matter, when it blows the current stops no matter how high it is.

Yes, i know it has a set breaking current. But you still have to use the correct fuse, otherwise you are not adequately protected.

If your statement is correct, how has his amp blown?

Perhaps my understanding is wrong, in which case please explain
when the current passing through the circuit exceeds the current the fuse can handle the little wire inside melts causing a break in the circuit which would stop all current therefore stopping shit like this happening. apperently threadstarter had the wrong sort of fuse in his amp which allowed the high current to fry his stuff. i'm pretty sure that makes sense.
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Youre understanding seems to be fine, but the way you worded the other post wasn't - it reads as "A fuse will only stop the current it's supposed to, if the currents higher it won't work", which is blatantly not the case. Obviously you have to have the correct fuse, and if you put a fuse in with a higher rating you won't be adequately protected, but that's not what you said initially. It's possible he had the wrong fuse in, also it may just have been the fuse that went in the amp. He said it "blew", and if you stick too high a current through a fuse it'll blow relatively spectacularly and make a nice burning smell.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com